R 191538Z JUN 20
SUBJ/CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2020 DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE CHIEF
INFORMATION OFFICER AWARDS PROGRAM//
NARR/REF A IS THE MEMORANDUM FOR DOD CIO AWARDS PROGRAM 2020 – CALL FOR NOMINATIONS. REF B IS THE DOD CIO DIGITAL MODERNIZATION STRATEGY//
POC/MICHAEL P MCGRAW/GS-14/DC I C4/EMAIL: MICHAEL.P.MCGRAW1@USMC.MIL/TEL: 703-614-6530//
POC/JASON L DANIEL/MGYSGT/DC I C4/EMAIL: JASON.L.DANIEL2@USMC.MIL/TEL: 571-256-8845//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The Department of Defense (DoD) Chief Information Officer (CIO) Awards program recognizes individuals and teams for exceptional achievements in delivering forward-leaning and strategically impactful capabilities and management practices within the DoD CIO portfolio. Guidance for the Department’s goals and objectives are detailed in the DoD Digital Modernization Strategy, which provides the focus for the DoD CIO Awards Program.
2. The DoD Digital Modernization Strategy presents Information Technology-related modernization goals and objectives that provide essential support for the three lines of effort in the National Defense Strategy. It also supports the National Defense Business Operations Plan. The DoD Digital Modernization Strategy articulates the following goals: Innovate for Competitive Advantage, Optimize for Efficiencies and Improved Capability, Evolve Cybersecurity for an Agile and Resilient Defense Posture, and Cultivate Talent for a Ready Digital Workforce.
3. Award criteria and eligibility. Nominees must have made outstanding achievements towards the goals and objectives of the DoD Digital Modernization Strategy in the following areas: Artificial Intelligence; Cloud; Cybersecurity; Data; and Command, Control, and Communications (C3). The USMC is limited to five nominations for the DoD Digital Modernization Strategy and three nominations for the following selected categories: Cyberspace Workforce, Transition to Electronic Records, and Section 508/Accessibility.
4. Nominations and presentation. A designated DoD CIO awards panel will select awardees from nominations by the Military Services, Combatant commands, Joint, Fourth Estate, and the Secretary of Defense. Award winners will be announced to Component CIOs and posted on the DoD CIO web page. The DoD CIO will nominate selected DoD CIO Award winners to the Federal CIO Council to compete for the Gears of Government Award (GoGA). The DoD CIO Awards Program Manager may need assistance from the award winner’s nominator / chain of command for changes needed for the GoGA nomination package. This year, in lieu of a centralized ceremony, the DoD CIO Awards will be sent to Component CIOs for Component presentation. After the awards panel makes the selections, an announcement of the honorees will be posted on the DoD CIO public web page.
5. Administration and Logistics.
5.a. USMC nominations must contain all requested information and must be sent via email to email@example.com by COB 17 July 2020. No fax or hard copy submissions will be accepted. Due to the timeline, no extensions will be approved.
5.b. Nominations must be in Microsoft Word using the required template. No other formats will be accepted. Command (General Officer) endorsements on nominations are not required.
5.c. Nomination templates (team and individual), further guidance, and examples of winning awards in prior years are posted on the award website. https:(slash)(slash)www.hqmc.marines.mil/C4/awards/
5.d. Award winners will be notified via MARADMIN.
6. Command and Signal.
6.a. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
6.b. Ensure widest dissemination of this MARADMIN.
6.c. Questions regarding the DoD CIO Awards Program may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and the point of contracts provided in this MARADMIN.
7. Release authorized by Lieutenant General L. E. Reynolds, Headquarters Marine Corps, Deputy Commandant for Information//