R 161819Z JUL 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/ENLISTED VOLUNTARY LATERAL MOVES AND MOS RECLASSIFICATIONS IN SUPPORT OF FORCE DESIGN PHASE ONE//
NARR/REF A IS MARADMIN 302/20 MANPOWER FORCE SHAPING IN SUPPORT OF FORCE DESIGN PHASE ONE. REF B IS MARADMIN 330/20 FY 2021 ENLISTED RETENTION CAMPAIGN. REF C IS NAVMC 1200.1E MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTIES MANUAL. REF D IS MCO 1900.16 CH2 MARCORSEPSMAN.//
POC/Z. A. BASICH/CAPT/DC MRA/MP/MPP-20/TEL: 703-432-9361//
POC/A. A. CRUZ/MGYSGT/DC MRA/MM/MMEA-1/TEL: 703-432-9125//
POC/W. L. KOEPPE/GYSGT/DC MRA/MM/MMEA-1/TEL: 703-432-9149//
POC/D. L. GORAL/MSGT/DC MRA/MM/MMEA-2/TEL: 703-784-9964//
POC/C. M. STROBLE/MSGT/DC MRA/MM/MMEA-2/TEL: 703-784-9226//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. As outlined in Ref (a), Manpower and Reserve Affairs (M&RA) is implementing force shaping authorities and tools used to conduct its active duty end strength reduction in accordance with Force Design Phase One requirements.
2. This MARADMIN details M&RA’s use of two voluntary force shaping tools for Enlisted Marines in support of Force Design Phase One: Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Reclassifications and Lateral Moves. Per Ref (b), M&RA will implement these tools beginning on 7 July 2020.
3. This MARADMIN is only applicable to Marines in the following Military Occupational Specialties (MOS):
3.A. 1812 Armor Marine, 1869 Senior Armor SNCO, and 2146 Main Battle Tank (MBT) Repairer/Technician.
3.B. At present, other MOS do not require the use of force shaping measures as part of Force Design Phase One. M&RA will publish guidance if subsequent phases of Force Design require the use of voluntary tools for Marines in additional MOS.
4. MOS Reclassifications and Lateral Moves. Enlisted Marines in the MOS listed in paragraph 3.A holding the rank of Sergeant and below, not selected for promotion to Staff Sergeant or above, not pending orders, or not pending separation, to include administrative separation or voluntary separation actions, are eligible for voluntary MOS Reclassification or Lateral Move. The submission window for Lateral Move or MOS Reclassification begins on 7 July 2020 in accordance with the Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 Enlisted Retention Campaign.
4.A. First Term Alignment Plan (FTAP) Marines with an Expiration of Current Contract (ECC) in FY21 or FY22 may request a Lateral Move to any Primary MOS (PMOS) for which they are qualified per Ref (c). Marines submitting for Lateral Move are encouraged to submit up to five (5) preferences for consideration. Marines approved for Lateral Move will be assigned school seats to new MOS schools based on school availability.
4.A.1. FY21 FTAP Marines seeking a Lateral Move must submit their request and MOS preferences to CMC (MMEA) no later than 30 September 2020. Failure to submit by the deadline or the declination of an approved Lateral Move will indicate to HQMC the Marine’s intent to voluntarily depart the service at the Expiration of Active Service (EAS).
4.A.2. FY22 FTAP Marines seeking a Lateral Move are encouraged to submit their request prior to 30 September 2020 in order to maximize opportunities to Lateral Move to a PMOS of their preference. The submission deadlines for FY22 FTAP Marines is 1 April 2022.
4.B. FTAP Marines with an ECC in FY23 or later may submit preferences for MOS Reclassification to CMC (MMEA). MOS Reclassification determinations will be made based on individual preference and needs of the Marine Corps. MOS Reclassification requests must be submitted to CMC (MMEA) no later than 31 January 2021. Marines will be assigned school seats to new MOS schools based on school availability. Marines are not authorized to decline MOS Reclassifications.
4.C. Any Corporal or Sergeant Subsequent Term Alignment Plan (STAP)Marines may submit for Lateral Move to any new PMOS for which they are qualified per Ref (c) Requests for STAP Lateral Moves must be submitted to CMC (MMEA) no later than 30 November 2020. Marines submitting for Lateral Move are encouraged to submit up to five (5) preferences for consideration. Marines will be assigned school seats to new MOS schools based on school availability. Failure to submit by the deadline or the declination of an approved Lateral Move will indicate to HQMC the Marine’s intent to voluntarily depart the service at the Expiration of Active Service.
4.D. Staff Sergeants and above will be processed in accordance with paragraph 5b of Ref (a). Staff Sergeants seeking a Lateral Move to a new PMOS should contact their current PMOS Monitor and MMEA-1 for available opportunities. Gunnery Sergeants will be approved for Lateral Move to a new PMOS on a case-by-case basis.
4.E. Approvals for Lateral Move will be based on the qualifications and performance of the individual Marine and the needs of the Marine Corps.
4.F. Priority for Lateral Moves will be given to hard-to-fill MOS and the MOS highlighted in the FY21 Enlisted Retention Guidelines. Marines seeking Lateral Move into Fast-Filling MOSs will compete for approval against the entire MOS population. Marines should contact their Unit Career Planner to discuss Lateral Move and MOS Reclassification options.
4.G. Local Command Authority extensions are authorized in accordance with the FY21 Enlisted Retention Guidelines.
4.H. Marines currently serving on a For Further Observation contract must contact the POCs at CMC (MMEA) to discuss Lateral Move or MOS Reclassification options.
6. Coordinating Instructions.
6.A.1. Both MOS Reclassifications and Lateral Moves will commence on or about 7 July 2020 Marines will be notified of new PMOS results upon approval from CMC (MMEA).
6.A.2. Those in MOSs listed in paragraphs 3.A are encouraged to review all submission timelines associated with voluntary options and subsequent MARADMINs listed in Refs (a) and (b).
6.B. Marines receiving a new PMOS as a result of MOS Reclassification will not incur additional obligated service following the completion of their new PMOS school.
6.C. Marines submitting for Lateral Move must meet the prerequisites for reenlistment.
7. This MARADMIN is not applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.
8. Refer to M&RA’s website (www.manpower.usmc.mil) for additional MP and MM points of contact.
9. This MARADMIN is in effect until 30 September 2022 unless updated sooner due to implementation of Force Design subsequent phases.
10. Release authorized by Lieutenant General M. A. Rocco, Deputy Commandant, Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//