R 162216Z JUL 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2021 (FY21) ACTIVE RESERVE (AR) ALIGNMENT PLAN (ARAP)//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC/YMD: 20200701
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC/YMD: 20190215
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS MCO 1040R.31, RESERVE CAREER PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (B) IS MCO 1001.52K, ACTIVE RESERVE SUPPORT TO THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE.
POC/J. U. ARELLANO/MAJ/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)784-9136/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/M. J. PATAKI/CWO5/RA (RAM)/TEL: (703)784-0523/EMAIL: MICHAEL.PATAKI@USMC.MIL//
POC/KEVIN. L. BROWN/MGYSGT/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)784-0583/EMAIL: KEVIN.L.BROWN5@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message announces the commencement of the FY21 ARAP. The purpose of the ARAP is to balance the AR enlisted career force inventory while retaining quality Marines. AR Marines should contact their unit career planner for more information and compliance with this message.
2. Background. Retaining our best Non-Commissioned Officers and Staff Non-Commissioned Officers is critical to mission accomplishment. Commanders must be actively involved in retention efforts to ensure we retain our best Marines and attain our enlisted inventory goals by military occupational specialty (MOS).
a. All AR Marines with an End of Current Contract (ECC) during FY21 are encouraged to submit for reenlistment to RAM-1 via the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) no later than 25 November 2020. In accordance with Total Force Retention System (TFRS) Message No R66090, the submission period began on 7 July 2020. This deadline is applicable to all AR Marines who intend to reenlist and have an ECC during FY21 to include Marines serving on a For Further Observation (FFO) contract. Submitting for reenlistment no later than 25 November 2020 does not apply to AR Marines who have an ECC that falls within FY21 and were previously approved and executed an extension of enlistment to execute Permanent Change of Station Order (PCSO), Transfer of Eligibility Benefits (TEB), Special Duty Assignment (SDA), etc. AR Marines who fall within this category will submit for reenlistment within the applicable FY in which their new ECC occurs once the extension becomes effective. Major Subordinate Command Career Planners are directed to identify the FY21 ARAP cohort and disseminate to unit Career Planners.
b. Commanding Officers and Career Planners will conduct interviews with 100 percent of their FY21 ARAP population and record the interview utilizing either the AR Initial Interview, AR EAS interview or unscheduled interview option as applicable within the TFRS Interview Management Module.
c. Marines who do not submit for further service prior to the applicable submission deadline will be conveying that their intent is to either exit the AR Program or retire. Marines who do not submit a request for retention to RAM-1 via TFRS prior to the FY21 ARAP submission deadline will require an endorsement with justification from the first O-6 level Commander within their chain of command. Requests submitted after the specified deadline may not receive favorable consideration for further service.
d. In some cases, RELMS will not be released by HQMC until the AR Staff Non-Commissioned Officer Promotion board and twice passed for promotion continuation board results are released. Commanders are authorized to utilize a local command authority (LCA) extension to adjust the End of Current Contract (EAS) of eligible AR Marines who have an EAS between 1 October 2020 and 31 March 2021 until 30 April 2021 in order to await a response from HQMC on a submitted reenlistment request that is in a pending status with RAM-1 in TFRS. Career Planners will utilize the Reserve LCA RELM type in TFRS to create and execute this extension. When generating the NAVMC 321a, the purpose will state: “To await a response on a submitted FY21 ARAP retention request”. Non-career designated AR Marines may already have the sufficient contractual time but lack the required EAS; if the Reserve Expiration of Current Contract (RECC) is not sufficient then an extension of enlistment is authorized. Upon execution and reporting of the extension as necessary, the command may adjust the Marine’s EAS, not to exceed 30 April 2021 to await a response from HQMC on a submitted reenlistment request that is in a pending status with RAM-1 in TFRS. For additional guidance on reporting the extension of enlistment on non-career designated Marines, refer to the MCTFS PRIUM, para 30303.1b.
4. Commander’s Recommendation. The Commander’s input is a critical aspect of the retention decision process. All unit commanders/inspector-instructors, and sergeants major/first sergeants are directed to make detailed comments advocating for or against retention.
5. Targeted FY21 ARAP allocations will be published for each MOS and will be announced via the ARAP boatspace report in TFRS. ARAP allocations will be adjusted by RA throughout FY21 based on applicable policies and/or needs of the AR Program.
6. To maintain the FY21 ARAP ECC cohort while ensuring the highest quality Marines are retained on the AR Program, AR Marines may be approved for an Early Reenlistment for the purpose of gaining the necessary required obligated service for PCSO, TEB, SDA, etc.
7. The specific RELM types required to be utilized can be found within TFRS Message No R65744. Failure to comply with submission requirements as outlined within TFRS Message No R65744 will result in the RELM being administrative closed with no action taken.
8. All FY21 ARAP RELMs adjudicated by HQMC (RAM-1) must be accepted or declined in TFRS within 10 calendar days.
9. Release authorized by Major General H. G. Pratt, Director, Reserve Affairs Division.//