R 241848Z JUL 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP//
SUBJ/INVOLUNTARY MOS RECLASSIFICATIONS AND DIRECTED LATERAL MOVES IN SUPPORT OF FORCE DESIGN PHASE ONE//
NARR/REFERENCE (REF) A IS MARADMIN 302/20 MANPOWER FORCE SHAPING IN SUPPORT OF FORCE DESIGN PHASE ONE. REF B IS MCO 1900.16 CH2 SEPARATION AND RETIREMENT MANUAL.//
POC/A. L. TARSIUK/MAJ/DC MRA/MP/MPP-30/TEL: 703-784-9365//
POC/V. W. LEE/CAPT/DC MRA/MP/MPP-20/TEL: 703-432-9362//
POC/P. M. KIRK/CAPT/DC MRA/MM/MMOA-3/TEL: 703-784-9284//
POC/A. A. CRUZ/MGYSGT/DC MRA/MM/MMEA-1/TEL: 703-432-9125//
POC/W. L. KOEPPE/GYSGT/DC MRA/MM/MMEA-1/TEL: 703-432-9149//
POC/C. A. ASHINHURST/LTCOL/DC MRA/MM/MMEA-1/TEL: 703-432-9124//
POC/D. L. GORAL/MSGT/DC MRA/MM/MMEA-2/TEL: 703-784-9964//
POC/C. M. STROBLE/MSGT/DC MRA/MM/MMEA-2/TEL: 703-784-9226//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. As outlined in Ref (a), Manpower and Reserve Affairs (M&RA) is implementing force shaping authorities and tools used to conduct the active duty end strength reduction in accordance with Force Design Phase One requirements.
2. This MARADMIN details M&RA’s use of two involuntary force shaping tools: Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Reclassifications and Directed Lateral Moves. Per Ref (a), M&RA will implement these involuntary tools on 1 April 2022 if and only if force shaping is still required after exhausting the use of all voluntary authorities and tools.
3. This MARADMIN is only applicable to Marines in the following Military Occupational Specialties (MOS):
3.A. Enlisted. 1812 Armor Marine, 1869 Senior Armor SNCO, and 2146 Main Battle Tank (MBT) Repairer/Technician.
3.B. Officers. 1802 Tank Officers and 5803 Military Police Officers. Directed Lateral Moves will not be used for officers in the 2110 Ordnance Vehicle Maintenance Officer and 5805 Criminal Investigation Officer MOSs due to restricted officer MOS health and the unique nature of restricted officers as subject matter experts and highly skilled specialists.
3.C. At present, other MOSs do not require the use of involuntary force shaping measures as part of Force Design Phase One. M&RA will publish guidance if subsequent phases of Force Design require the use of these involuntary tools for Marines in additional MOSs.
4. MOS Reclassifications (Enlisted). As of 1 April 2022, any remaining Marine in the 1812, 1869, and 2146 MOSs who is not pending orders or separation from voluntary actions, and has not communicated their intentions and/or preferences with MMEA will be reclassified into a new MOS based on the needs of the Marine Corps regardless of time left on contract.
4.A. Sergeants and below. Marines in these MOSs not selected for promotion to staff sergeant, not pending orders, or not pending separation, to include administrative separation or voluntary actions, will be subject to involuntarily MOS reclassifications.
4.B. Staff Sergeants and above will be processed in accordance with paragraph 5.B of Ref (a).
5. Directed Lateral Moves (Officers). As of 1 April 2022, any remaining company grade officer in the 1802 MOS and if necessary, a percentage of officers in the 5803 MOS who are not pending orders or separation from voluntary actions will be given a new MOS based on the needs of the Marine Corps.
5.A. 1802. M&RA will voluntarily or involuntarily force shape all 1802 company grade officers as part of Force Design Phase One.
5.B. 5803. M&RA will voluntarily or involuntarily force shape 40 5803 captains and 15 5803 majors as part of Force Design Phase One.
6. Coordinating Instructions.
6.A. Both MOS Reclassifications and the Directed Lateral Moves will commence on or about 1 April 2022. Marines will be notified of new PMOS results NLT 30 June 2022.
6.B. Manpower Management (MM) will run the MOS Reclassification and Directed Lateral Move processes with inputs from Manpower Plans and Policy (MP).
6.C. New PMOS assignments and subsequent orders will be based off the needs of the Marine Corps. Marines will not be allowed to submit MOS preferences for consideration. Each Marine’s situation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Per Ref (a), staff sergeants and above and field grade officers may be allowed to remain in their PMOS and serve in billets until they become retirement eligible.
6.D. MM will directly notify Marines of their new PMOS assignment and follow on orders. Those refusing to accept their new PMOS assignment will be separated from the Marine Corps per Ref (b) upon fulfilling existing service obligations.
6.E. Those in MOSs listed in paragraphs 3.A and 3.B. are encouraged to review all submission timelines associated with voluntary options and subsequent MARADMINs listed in Ref (a).
6.F. Marines receiving a new PMOS as a result of MOS Reclassification or Directed Lateral Move will not incur additional obligated service following the completion of their new PMOS school.
7. This MARADMIN is not applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.
8. Refer to M&RA’s website (www.manpower.usmc.mil) for additional MP and MM points of contact.
9. This MARADMIN cancels on 30 September 2022 unless updated sooner due to implementation of Force Design subsequent phases.
10. Release authorized by Lieutenant General Michael A. Rocco, Deputy Commandant, Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//