R 271725Z JUL 20
MSGID/MARADMIN/CMC CD WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/2020 MARINE CORPS LEAGUE ENLISTED AWARDS ANNOUNCEMENT//
POC/TIFFANY EDWARDS/SSGT/UNIT: CMC WASHINGTON DC CD/NAME: COMREL/CD/TEL: 703-614-1034/EMAIL: TIFFANY.R.EDWARDS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message solicits nominations for the following six awards:
A. Gunnery Sergeant Carlos N. Hathcock II Award: Awarded to an enlisted Marine who has made an outstanding contribution to the improvement of marksmanship training.
B. Sergeant Major Wilbur Bestwick Award: Awarded to an enlisted Marine in a Ground Combat Element of the operating forces who has made an outstanding contribution to increased combat readiness within the organization.
C. Sergeant Harry D. Myers Award: Awarded to an enlisted Marine in a Combat Service Support Element of the operating forces who has made a significant contribution to increased combat readiness within the organization.
D. Sergeant Major Frederick B. Douglass Award: Awarded to an enlisted Marine in an Aviation Combat Element of the operating forces who has made a significant contribution to increased combat readiness within the organization.
E. Chief Hospital Corpsman George William 'Doc' Piercy Award: Awarded to a Navy corpsman or dental technician in a ground, logistic, or aviation element of the operating forces, who has made a significant contribution to increased combat medical readiness within the organization.
F. Marine Corps Reservist of the Year Award: Awarded to an enlisted Marine Corps reservist who, while serving with the Marine Corps Reserve, has made an outstanding contribution to combat readiness within the organization.
2. All commands are encouraged to submit nominations for these awards. To ensure that a sufficient amount of nominations are received, it is requested that Marine Corps Forces Command (MARFORCOM), Marine Corps Forces Pacific (MARFORPAC), and Marine Corps Forces Reserve (MARFORRES) provide at least one nomination for each category. Nominations of individual mobilization augmentees (IMA) for the reservist of the year must be submitted through the reservists operational sponsor (e.g. MARFORCOM, MARFORPAC, etc.). Nominations for reservists assigned to MARFORRES units will be submitted via their chain of command to MARFORRES.
3. Nominations must reflect either sustained performance or a specific individual act. The contribution must have been made during calendar year 2019. Nominations must be fully substantiated and include:
3.A. All appropriate endorsements. Nominations should be sent to the Commandant of the Marine Corps, Communication Directorate, Community Relations Branch. The first General officer in the nominee's chain of command must endorse the nomination. Additional endorsements beyond that are not required. The first officer in the nominee's chain of command must certify that the nominee meets appropriate service standards, to include height and weight, fitness or readiness tests, and that the nominee is not facing disciplinary action.
3.B. Nomination letter. A command nomination letter in standard letter format that includes a brief narrative justifying the nomination and the following personal information of the nominee.
3.B.1. Full name, rank, and Military Occupation Specialty Code.
3.B.2. Current duty station and assignment.
3.B.3. Current duty address, work email, and work telephone.
3.B.4. Time in service.
3.B.5. Name and address of the unit in which he or she was serving when contribution was made.
3.B.6. Name of unit officer-in-charge and his or her contact phone number and email address.
3.C. Additional enclosures. In addition to the nomination letter and endorsement, each submission must include the following as separate enclosures:
3.C.1. Nominee's biography, containing pertinent military background prior to period or event for which he or she is being nominated.
3.C.2. A written and signed statement of expressed consent by the nominee, authorizing release of information contained in the nomination package, per the privacy act of 1974. The following statement is a sample of written consent: I, rank and full name, do hereby authorize the release of all information enclosed in this nomination package to those persons involved in the selection process.
4. A sample nomination package is available via the Marine Corps website by copying and pasting the following URL into the web browser https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Docs/comrel/MC%20LEAGUE%20ENLISTED%20AWARDS%20-%20SAMPLE%20NOMINATION%20PKG.pdf. Any submissions which do not follow the above guidelines or are received after the deadline (see para. 7) will not be considered.
5. Award submissions will be sent to the Marine Corps League for their review and selection of the recipients of the six categories. Upon completion of the selection process, commands and selected awardees will be notified and a MARADMIN will be released to announce the selected award recipients.
6. Submissions. All nominations should be sent electronically via email to: email@example.com using PDF files with the following subject line: 2020 Enlisted Awards Program (name of award category) ICO (rank and name).
7. Deadline. CD must receive nomination packages no later than 21 August 2020. No extensions or exceptions will be granted.
8. Due to the nature of this year’s virtual awards ceremony, selected recipients are requested to provide video acceptance of the award, preferably appearing with their commander and senior enlisted advisor at their appointed duty station. Video acceptance should last no more than 30 seconds and will be used in this year's virtual ceremony. In the absence of video capability, photographs are acceptable. Video submission information and procedures will be provided to the award recipient upon notification of selection via SEPCOR.
9. Release authorized by Col G. B Rowell IV, Director of Communication, HQMC.//