R 291430Z JUL 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CG MCCDC QUANTICO VA//
SUBJ/CHANGE TO MASTERS DEGREE POLICY AT RESIDENT COMMAND AND STAFF/COLLEGE//
REF/A/MSGID: 38TH CMC PLANNING GUIDANCE//
REF/B/MSGID: CMC MEMO/20FEB2020//
REF/C/MSGID: CG, EDCOM DECISION PAPER/16APR2020//
POC/PAUL GELPI/DR/COMMAND AND STAFF COLLEGE/TEL: (703) 784-4513/PAUL.GELPI@USMCU.EDU//
POC/JOHN GORDON/DR/COMMAND AND STAFF COLLEGE/TEL: (703) 784-4513/JOHN.GORDON@USMCU.EDU//
POC/ERIN K. BERARD/LTCOL/MARINE CORPS UNIVERSITY ACADEMIC AFFAIRS/TEL: (703) 784-1955/ERIN.BERARD@USMCU.EDU//
POC/ROBERT D. JOHNSON/LTCOL/MARINE CORPS UNIVERSITY OPERATIONS/TEL: (703) 432-4784/ROBERT.JOHNSON@USMCU.EDU//
NARR/REF A IS 38TH COMMANDANTS PLANNING GUIDANCE. REF B IS CMC MEMO. REF C IS CG, EDCOM DECISION PAPER.//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. In accordance with reference (a), The Commandant of the Marine Corps (CMC) is committed to ensuring each Marine is provided the best educational opportunity available and to ensuring that the opportunity is as academically rigorous as possible. Per reference (b), CMC directed a number of specific actions in support of implementing the CMC Planning Guidance (CPG). Specifically, Implementation, CMC Task Q requested a recommendation on the establishment of a new policy directing the completion of a masters degree program if selected for resident Command and Staff College (CSC). Reference (c) is Commanding General, Education Command decision paper on the new policy change beginning Academic Year (AY) 2020-2021 and is applicable only to U.S. students (Marine Corps, Joint, and Interagency).
2. Beginning AY 2020-2021, all U.S. students attending Resident CSC will be enrolled in the Masters of Military Studies (MMS) program and will pursue degree completion in accordance with all MMS program requirements. For international military students, application to the MMS program is optional and enrollment is subject to meeting MMS program eligibility requirements.
3. Waivers to the requirement that all U.S. students pursue an MMS will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Approval of each waiver will reside with the Commanding General, Education Command.
4. Given that the intent of the CMC is to incentivize a more educated force, the Deputy Commandant, Manpower & Reserve Affairs is reviewing the Tuition Assistance (TA) policy in light of this academic policy change. Any changes to the TA policy will be announced via separate correspondence.
5. Contact the listed point of contacts for questions regarding the requirement for all U.S. students attending CSC to pursue an MMS.
6. Release authorized by Lieutenant General Eric Smith, Commanding General, Marine Corps Combat Development Command.//