R 011945Z SEP 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2021 (FY21) SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) LATERAL MOVE (LATMOV), CAREER PROGRESSION MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY (MOS) AND MOS PROFICIENCY TRAINING PROGRAMS//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC LTR/YMD: 20151216//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/TECOM MSG/YMD: 20151130//
REF/C/MSGID: MSG/MARADMIN/279/20/YMD: 20200506//
REF/D/MSGID: DOC/NAVMC 1200.1E/YMD: 20190329//
REF/E/MSGID: MSG/MARADMIN/493/14/YMD: 20140930//
REF/F/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1001R.1L/YMD: 20180315//
REF/G/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1040R.35/YMD: 20110502//
REF/H/MSGID: MSG/MARADMIN/621/18/YMD: 20181029//
REF/I/MSGID: AMHS/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA RAM/ 291619Z JAN 19//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS FRAGMENTARY ORDER FOUR (IMPLEMENTATION) TO MARINE CORPS FORCE INTEGRATION CAMPAIGN PLAN. REFERENCE (B) IS TECOM AMHS MESSAGE, IMPLEMENTATION OF MOS PHYSICAL SCREENING PREREQUISITES IN SUPPORT OF MOS CLASSIFICATION AND SELECTION. REFERENCE (C) ANNOUNCES THE ACTIVE COMPONENT TO SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE OR INDIVIDUAL MOBILIZATION AUGMENTEE DIRECT AFFILIATION PROGRAM. REFERENCE (D) IS THE MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTIES MANUAL. REFERENCE (E) IS THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF CHANGE TO ASSIGNMENT POLICY FOR PRIMARY MOS 0803, 0842, 0847, 2110, 2131, 2141, 2146, 2147, 2149, 7204, AND 7212. REFERENCE (F) IS THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT MANUAL (MCRAMM). REFERENCE (G) IS THE RESERVE CAREER RETENTION AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (H) IS THE POLICY CLARIFICATION TO THE SERVICE OBLIGATION FOR RESERVE MARINES ATTENDING TRAINING. REFERENCE (I) IS THE RESERVE MOS TRAINING LATERAL MOVE MROWS/DTS ORDERS PROCESSING AND SUBMISSION GUIDELINES.//
POC/J. U. ARELLANO/MAJ/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)784-9143/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/J. A. FAUCETTE/CAPT/RA (RAM - ROCP)/TEL: (703)784-0523/EMAIL: JOHN.FAUCETTE@USMC.MIL//
POC/K. A. HARMON/CAPT/RA (RAM - ROCP)/TEL: (703)784-0537/EMAIL: KRISTOPHER.HARMON@USMC.MIL//
POC/K. L. BROWN/MGYSGT/RA (RAP)/TEL: 703)784-0583/EMAIL: KEVIN.L.BROWN5@USMC.MIL//
POC/P. BORGES/GYSGT/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)784-0581/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/RETENTION, INCENTIVES, AND TRAINING (RIT) SECTION/RA (RAM)/TEL: (703)784-9136/EMAIL:RAM-1@USMC.MIL
POC/D. S. ROBERTS/CIV/MFR (G-3/5)/TEL: (504)697-7375/EMAIL: DAVID.S.ROBERTS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The intent of the Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) Lateral Move (LatMov) and Career Progression Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) programs are to balance officer and enlisted MOS inventories and to provide reserve unit commanders with properly trained Marines in order to accomplish their assigned missions. The SMCR LatMov program serves as a way to provide opportunities to Marines affected by the Phase 1 Force Design divestitures in the Reserve Component (RC), specifically in the primary military occupational specialties of 1371, 1802, 1812, 1869, 2146. Marine Forces Reserve (MARFORRES) G-3/5 manages all SMCR MOS proficiency training with the purpose of increasing officer and enlisted skills and abilities within respective occupational fields.
2. MOS Classification Standard (MCS). In accordance with references (a) and (b), all Reserve Marines requesting a LatMov into a ground combat arms MOS must meet the MCS. Marines who transfer from the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) and request a LatMov into a ground combat arms MOS will receive approval to join the unit (if eligible), but Marines must meet the MCS requirement prior to registering for a school seat. Reserve Affairs Management (RA (RAM)) will not approve funding for orders until the units submit qualifying MCS scores to RAMfirstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to meet the MCS requirement within 90 days after affiliation will result in program disqualification.
3. Submission procedures. Submission procedures for career planners and prior servce recruiters are available under the forms tab within the Total Force Retention System (TFRS).
a. Marines must affiliate with or be a current member of an SMCR unit.
b. Active Component (AC) Marines, or Active Reserve (AR) Marines within 120 days of release from active duty or if applying for the Direct Affiliation Program (DAP), are eligible in accordance with reference (c).
c. IRR Marines released from the AC or Selected Reserve (SelRes) under honorable conditions are eligible.
d. Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) Marines affiliating with an SMCR unit are eligible.
e. Rank. Enlisted Marines in the rank of lance corporal through sergeant and officers in the rank of first lieutenant or captain are eligible for LatMov and career progression training. Reserve Affairs, Reserve Affairs Personnel Policy, Plans, and Programming and Budgeting Branch (RA (RAP)) will open LatMov opportunities to other ranks based upon necessity (e.g., force structure changes). The following are existing exceptions:
(1) Staff sergeants and staff sergeants select applying for 0211, 0231, 0241, and 1721 MOS retraining.
(2) Majors who have been approved for 0530 or the 7502 Free MOS (FMOS).
(3) Officers approved for aviation transition/conversion training.
(4) Marines must be filling a billet as an exact grade and PMOS/NMOS match or one billet grade higher (e.g., a sergeant may retrain to a sergeant or staff sergeant billet).
(5) One billet grade lower will be authorized to Primary MOS (PMOS) 0211, 0241, 0321, and 1721.
f. RAM-1 will temporarily accept LatMov applications for 0302 for 1802’s affected by Force Design. Officers in the 1802 occupational field are highly encouraged to submit for Latmov to 0302.
g. Necessary MOS (NMOS) training. In accordance with reference (d), the following NMOSs are eligible for training: 0239, 0271, 0303, 0307, 0317, 0623, 0633, 0691, 0814, 1342, 1392, 2832, 3524, 3534, 3536, 6012, 6033, 6043, 6049, 8621, and 8641. Marines must already have the requisite PMOS to receive NMOS training per reference (d) and slated for the appropriate Billet Identification Code (BIC). RA (RAP) will approve requests for PMOS and subsequent NMOS training on a case by case basis.
h. RA (RAP) will approve requests for other NMOSs on a case by case basis. Marines must be able to complete all required training without a break in-between schools. MARFORRES (G-3/5) will approve all other requests for proficiency and enhancement training.
i. Career progression MOS training. In accordance with reference (d), the following PMOSs require career progression training: 0202, 0363, 0369, 0393, 0491, 0629, 0639, 0679, 0681, 0848, 0869, 1169, 1349, 1799, 2149, 2181, 2336, 2621, 2629, 2631, 2862, 2874, 2891, 3529, 3537, 5769, 5821, and 5831. Requests for other career progression MOSs will be approved on a case by case basis by RA (RAP).
j. Sergeants must have no more than two (2) years time in grade (TIG) on the date of TFRS submission. RA (RAP) may waive this requirement on a case by case basis.
k. Staff Sergeants and sergeants applying for the 0211 or 0241 MOS are exempt from TIG requirements.
l. Captains who are in-zone for major are eligible, however, require verification by RA (RAP) prior to approval.
m. Marines must meet the prerequisites for the Initial MOS (IMOS) per reference (d).
n. Lance Corporals and corporals must possess a minimum 4.1/4.1 average in-grade proficiency and conduct marks.
o. Marines assigned to VMGR-234 and VMGR-452 with a KC-130J model MOS are authorized to retrain for the KC-130T model qualifications under this program.
p. Current SMCR unit members must be in or requesting to fill a BIC for which they are not MOS qualified. Requests for Marines already considered a match for an open BIC without retraining will be considered on a case-by-case basis. These require justification by the battalion/squadron commander.
q. The requested unit must have an open BIC per the Inventory Development and Management System (IDMS). Once the LatMov is approved, the gaining unit should submit an exception request in IDMS.
r. Have no unexcused absences within the last 12 months.
s. Must not be currently assigned to the Body Composition Program or Military Appearance Program.
t. Physical Fitness Test (PFT)/Combat Fitness Test (CFT). Marines must have passed the PFT and CFT within the last 12 months if the Marine is currently a member of the SelRes or active duty. If currently a member of the IRR, a Marine must pass a PFT and/or CFT within 90 days of affiliation, if required per reference (e). Failure to meet the performance standards within 90 days of affiliation will result in a program disqualification.
u. Marines requesting a LatMov to a Combat Arms MOS must have a current Physical Fitness Test (PFT) and Combat Fitness Test (CFT) in the Marine Corps Total Forces System (MCTFS) that meet the MCS’s minimum requirements prior to attending their assigned course. The minimum requirements for the MCS are as follows: 6 pull-ups, 24:51 3-mile run, 60 ammo-can lifts (2 minutes), 3:26 Movement to Contact, and 3:12 Maneuver Under Fire.
v. Must not have received a reduction in grade to their current grade.
w. Must not be in receipt of an enlistment or affiliation bonus. This requirement is waived for Marines in units affected by Force Design or CMC directed force structure changes.
x. Must not have completed LatMov, retraining, and/or career progression training within the previous three (3) years.
y. Marines will be required to sign a distance waiver if outside the normal commuting distance per reference (f).
z. Marines will be required to obtain up to three (3) years contractual obligation to cover required service.
aa. MOS Proficiency Training. Eligibility requirements for MOS proficiency training is dictated by MARFORRES (G-3/5) and specified on the MARFORRES sharepoint.
a. Marines cannot exceed the satisfactory year requirements for their respective grade on the date active duty for training (ADT) begins. The below LatMov restrictions ensure the required contractual obligation for training will not take the Marine beyond service limits for grade in accordance with reference (g).
(1) Lance Corporals: less than five (5) satisfactory years.
(2) Corporals: less than five (5) satisfactory years.
(3) Sergeants: less than 10 satisfactory years.
(4) Staff Sergeants: less than 14 satisfactory years.
b. Sergeants and above who are in-zone, above-zone, or have failed selection for promotion in the SMCR are not eligible.
c. Captains who are above zone or have failed selection for promotion to major while in the unrestricted Reserve competitive category are not eligible for retraining.
d. Reserve Officer Commissioning Program (ROCP) officers in their initial obligated service. ROCP officers with MOS 1802 may request LatMov if otherwise eligible.
e. RA (RAP) will consider requests for LatMov into the following MOSs under the following conditions:
(1) Infantry Officer (MOS 0302). Officers with MOS 1802 may request LatMov to 0302 if otherwise eligible.
(2) Intelligence Officers. LatMov requests into the 0204/0206/0207 MOSs will be evaluated by RA (RAP) in collaboration with U.S. Marine Corps Intelligence Department. Requests must contain a favorable endorsement from the gaining unit commander to be considered. LatMovs into the 0202/0203 MOSs will not be approved.
(3) Aviation PMOSs. Only Marines with Aviation Maintenance or avionics PMOSs will be approved for LatMov to another aviation maintenance, or avionics MOS. For example, a Marine with PMOS 6116 may be approved to LatMov to the 6324 avionics, if otherwise qualified.
f. The following MOSs are not eligible to LatMov into:
(1) Judge Advocate (MOS 4401/4402).
(2) Air Defense Control/Air Support Control/Antiair Warfare/Air Traffic Control (72xx MOSs).
(3) Pilot/Naval Flight Officer (MOS 75XX).
g. Marines approved for LatMov may be dropped for the following reasons:
(1) Selection to staff sergeant, gunnery sergeant, or major (except as indicated in the approved MOS).
(2) Failure to affiliate with the intended unit within 30 days of the approved retraining request.
(3) Failure to attend scheduled training:
(a) The within 12 months of joining the unit.
(b) Without processing a reschedule request with RA.
(4) Failure to complete training due to disciplinary action or academic failure.
(5) Transfer to the IRR prior to the convening date of the scheduled course.
(6) Execution of an Inter-Unit Transfer (IUT) without approval from RA (RAP).
(7) Failure to meet required physical standards.
h. SMCR Marines who are dropped from the LatMov program must be realigned to an open BIC in accordance with the BIC assignment policy within 60 days.
i. Subject to a nonjudicial punishment in the last 12 months.
j. Marines affiliating with Marine Aviation Training Support Group 42 and Aviation Command and Control Team are ineligible for these programs.
6. Contractual drilling obligation
a. Marines approved for a LatMov, career progression, or MOS proficiency training will incur additional obligated service and an adjustment to their Mandatory Drill Participation Stop Date (MDPSD) per reference (h).
b. The unit administration section must submit the MOS school certificate of completion to (RA (RAM)) at email: RAMemail@example.com.
c. Marines who LatMov into the 0211 MOS will incur a 60 month service obligation. The 60 months service obligation refers to total contractual time in the Ready Reserve (SelRes or IRR).
7. Coordinating Instructions
a. Marines are not authorized to execute an IUT or transfer to the IRR after completion of training under this program without approval from RA (RAP). All requests for IUT must include an endorsement from Commander, Marine Forces Reserve.
b. All requests will be considered based on the needs of the Marine Corps and approved subject to available funding.
c. SMCR Marines are not required to change units in order to apply for the LatMov program if a vacancy exists at their current unit.
d. Aviators requiring transition/conversion are retrained via the Transition/Conversion program released via separate correspondence.
e. All Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) Marines who request to attend an MOS producing school funded by HQMC RA RAM-1, must ensure a NAVMC HQ 971 (XORG Form) is attached to the MROWS orders prior to MROWS orders being approved. Communication between the Marine and the Administrative section is highly encouraged to ensure this is complete.
f. Marines who are currently in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) that request a lateral move through a Prior Service Recruiter, will be screened for eligibility. If the Marine meets all requirements, the lateral move request will be approved with maximum allowable contract time not to exceed service limits without a school seat. Upon joining the SMCR Unit, the Marine will need to coordinate with the Career Planner to submit a request for school seat via TFRS to HQMC RA RAM-1 and follow the instructions listed in paragraph 3 of reference (i).
g. RA (RAM) will not fund approve the MROWS or DTS orders until the Reenlistment Extension Lateral Move Request is accepted, reported on unit diary, and reflects correctly in the MCTFS.
h. RA (RAM) will enter the IMOS into the Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS) for each approved LatMov request upon the Marine’s acceptance and subsequent reporting of the reenlistment extension in MCTFS.
i. LatMov requests requiring IUT should be submitted simultaneously in TFRS and IDMS. The LatMov request must be approved first before MARFORRES G-1 can approve the IUT.
j. MARFORRES (G-3/5) will not fund or approve orders until the Request for Proficiency Training (RPT) package with a required SOU is completed and accepted.
k. SMCR company-grade officer LatMovs will be screened and reviewed by RAM-1 and managed by the ROCP in order to prioritize limited school seat availability.
8. Submissions for lateral moves or career progression training must be submitted to RAM-1 via TFRS at least 90 business days prior to the requested class convene date.
9. The training request form must include at least three school dates that are available within the Marine Corps Training Information System (MCTIMS).
10. NAVMC HQ 971 (X-Org Request), MROWS, and DTS-R orders must be received by RAM-1 at least 30 days prior to the requested class convene date. Marines are not authorized to travel without authenticated and approved MROWS and DTS-R orders. If a Marine travels without authenticated and approved MROWS and DTS-R orders, the unit will be responsible for all funding associated with the travel.
11. Direct Liaison is authorized between SMCR units and Reserve Affairs.
12. This bulletin cancels on 30 September 2021.
13. Release authorized by Major General H. G. Pratt, Director, Reserve Affairs Division.//