R 021947Z SEP 20
MSGID/MARADMIN/CMC CD WASHINGTON DC (UC)//
SUBJ/2020 UNITED SERVICES ORGANIZATION MARINE OF THE YEAR AWARD ANNOUNCEMENT//
POC/TIFFANY EDWARDS/SSGT/UNIT: CMC WASHINGTON DC CD/NAME: COMREL/CD/TEL: 703-614-1034/EMAIL: TIFFANY.R.EDWARDS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN announces and solicits nominations for the 2020 United Services Organization (USO) Marine of the Year Award.
2. Each year, the USO recognizes service members from each military branch.
a. The award recognizes a Marine (Sergeant and below) who:
(1) Demonstrates bravery and leadership in the course of his or her service.
(2) Offers outstanding support and comfort to those with whom they serve.
(3) Enhances morale and personal welfare of others.
(4) Through their mentorship, inspires other individuals or groups.
b. Due to current regulations and restrictions for large gatherings concerning COVID-19, award recipients will be presented with the award by their respective chain of command. The USO will coordinate with units to provide ceremony and reception support.
3. Nomination packages. Nomination packages must contain these elements:
a. Commanding Officer (CO) endorsement. Each nominees' CO must endorse the nomination and express a commitment to facilitate the nominee's attendance at the award ceremony, if selected.
b. Narrative description. Must be in a personal letter format, contain no more than 500 words, meet the criteria specified in paragraph 2.(a), and highlight any recent deployments or achievements and how those contributions benefited the military or civilian community.
4. Deadline. Nominations must be received by the USO no later than 15 Sept 2020 via email to email@example.com.
5. The award recipient may accept these benefits under authority 5 CFR 2635.204(d), upon a written determination by his/her command ethics official that the award is made as part of an established program of recognition.
6. Release authorized by BGen George B. Rowell IV, Director of Communication, HQMC.//