R 281758Z SEP 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/APPROVAL OF THE ARMED FORCES SERVICE MEDAL (AFSM) FOR COVID-19//
NAR/REF A IS DODI 1348.33, DOD MILITARY DECORATIONS AND AWARDS PROGRAM. REF B IS DODM 1348.33-V4, CHANGE 2. REF C IS DODM 1348.33-V2, CHANGE 2. REF D IS THE NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AWARDS MANUAL.//
POC/G. R. DAY/MAJ/HQMC MMMA/-/TEL:703-784-9206/EMAIL:GRETCHEN.DAY@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The Department of Defense (DoD) has approved the Armed Forces Services Medal (AFSM) and the Humanitarian Service Medal (HSM) for award to eligible service members (Active and Reserve Component) engaged in qualifying DoD Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) operations and activities, pursuant to the guidelines below, for the period 31 January 2020 to a date TBD. This MARADMIN announces the approval of the AFSM and provides administrative instructions for the same. A separate MARADMIN will provide details on the HSM.
2. The AFSM is awarded on an individual basis. It is authorized to be awarded to qualifying Marines who deploy or are assigned for at least 30 days (consecutive and non-consecutive) in support of COVID-19 relief efforts. Marines can qualify for the AFSM if they were assigned from regular duties to perform tasks in support of DoD COVID-19 operations and activities as their primary daily assignment for at least 30 days. Actions that are within the scope of one’s current billet assignment do not qualify a Marine for the AFSM (e.g. Headquarters personnel participate in planning actions and/or events in response to COVID-19 are not eligible for the AFSM).
2.a. Qualifying examples:
2.a.1. A deployment from the Primary Duty Station (PDS) to an area impacted by COVID-19 to provide expedited logistical support for a mobile treatment facility, DoD field hospital, mobile testing facility.
2.a.2. Reassignment to a COVID Task Force conducting operations in support of COVID-19 activities supporting non-military communities.
2.a.3. Reassignment to support the Federal Emergency Management Agency for COVID-19 operations and activities.
2.b. Non-qualifying examples include but, are not limited to, efforts to support one’s own command, military community, or military base; these are command responsibilities and therefore not eligible for the AFSM.
2.b.1. Submission of COVID-19 personnel reports or situation reports.
2.b.2. Implementing force health protection measures or planning for implementation of force health protection measures.
2.b.3. Serving as base gate security.
2.b.4. Deployed personnel who are in an area of eligibility (AOE) to receive another Campaign Medal (e.g. IRCM, ACM).
3. Given the dynamic nature of the pandemic response, this MARADMIN provides details for the period 31 January 2020 through 30 September 2020. If qualifying actions occur after 30 September 2020, another MARADMIN will be published.
4. Area of Eligibility (AOE). There is no designated AOE for the AFSM. The awarding authorities determine eligibility based on the nature of the qualifying DOD COVID-19 operation and/or activity.
5. Marines can earn both awards if participating in separate, non-overlapping events that qualify for the awards, within the time period stated above. Marines are eligible for one AFSM per operation; therefore, no one can receive more than one AFSM for DOD COVID-19 operations.
6. Personnel may submit orders, fitness reports, personal military decorations with a summary of action or other relevant documents in support of qualification, to his/her chain of command. Commanders in the grade of O-6 and above are authorized to award the AFSM to Marines and sailors of their unit, provided the Marines and sailors meet the aforementioned criteria. Commanders in grade O-6 who meet the criteria must gain approval for the AFSM from the first General Officer in their chain of command. Commanders are expected to review submissions to ensure the criteria was met and submit a standard naval letter listing the personnel who qualify for the AFSM to the servicing Personnel Administration Center (PAC) or local unit administrative office for entry into the Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS) and Official Military Personnel Folder (OMPF).
7. Sailors can be awarded the AFSM from their Marine Corps chain of command but will still need to have the award processed via their regional Personal Support Division for the award to appear in their official military record.
8. The AFSM recognizes Marines and Sailors who deploy or are reassigned to assist in qualifying operations and activities. Outstanding or meritorious performance of non-deployed or non-reassigned individuals do not qualify for the AFSM. Such performance can be recognized by an appropriate unit or personal decoration.
9. For additional guidance please refer to references (a-d); especially, the SECNAV Manual 1650.1 TAB 5: AFSM (p. 4-18).
10. Questions on the guidance contained in this message should be addressed to the service member's local G1/S1 unit administrative office.
11. G1/S1 offices that require clarification on the guidance provided in this message are to contact the POC identified above.
12. Release authorized by LtGen David A. Ottignon, Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//