R 021657Z OCT 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2021 (FY21) SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) RETENTION BONUS (SRB-R)//
REF/A/TITLE 37 U.S. CODE//
REF/B/DOC/USD (P&R)/YMD: 20130312//
REF/D/DOC/CMC (RA)/YMD: 20160128//
REF/E/DOC/CMC (RA)/YMD: 20110502//
REF/F/DOC/CMC (RA)/YMD: 20180315//
REF/G/DOC/CMC (RA)/YMD: 20080819//
REF/H/MSG/CMC (RA)/YMD: 20200902//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS 37 U.S.C. SECTION 331 PAY AND ALLOWANCES OF THE UNIFORMED SERVICES. REFERENCE (B) IS DODI 1304.31 ENLISTED BONUS PROGRAM. REFERENCE (C) IS NAVMC 1200.1E MILITARY OCCUPATION SPECIALTIES MANUAL. REFERENCE (D) IS MCO 7220R.39 SELECTED RESERVE INCENTIVE PROGRAM (SRIP). REFERENCE (E) IS THE RESERVE CAREER RETENTION AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (F) IS THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE ADMINISTRATIVE MANUAL (MCRAMM). REFERENCE (G) IS THE MARINE CORPS TOTAL FORCE SYSTEM (MCTFS) PERSONNEL REPORTING INSTRUCTIONS USER MANUAL. REFERENCE (H) IS THE FISCAL YEAR 2021 (FY21) SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) LATERAL MOVE (LATMOV), CAREER PROGRESSION MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY (MOS) AND MOS PROFICIENCY TRAINING PROGRAMS.//
POC/J. U. ARELLANO/MAJ/UNIT: RA (RAP)/TEL: 703-784-9143/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/B. L. MARKS/GYSGT/UNIT: RA (RAM)/TEL: 703-432-9077/EMAIL: RAM-1@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Effective immediately, per the references, this MARADMIN implements guidance of the FY21 Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) Retention Bonus (SRB-R) in support of Force Design.
a. The two authorized lump sum amounts for the SRB-R are:
(1) 10,000 dollars for sergeants, staff sergeants (to include staff sergeant selects), gunnery sergeants (to include gunnery sergeant selects), and master sergeants (to include master sergeant selects) who meet the basic eligibility requirements of this message.
(2) 15,000 dollars lump sum for sergeants, staff sergeants (to include staff sergeant selects), gunnery sergeants (to include gunnery sergeant selects), and master sergeants (to include master sergeant selects) who meet the basic eligibility requirements of this message and have proof of:
(a) Professional military education (PME) completion in grade, and
(b) Career progression course completion (if applicable as described in reference (c)).
b. Marines who meet retention and incentive guidelines established per the references may request for a four-year reenlistment with an SRB-R via the total force retention system (TFRS).
c. The four-year reenlistment for the SRB-R includes a 3-year drilling obligation in an SMCR unit and an additional year in any category of the Ready Reserve for a total of four years. Sergeants, staff sergeants, gunnery sergeants, and master sergeants may reenlist for less than four years to ensure reenlistment does not contractually obligate them beyond 24 satisfactory years of service or beyond their applicable enlisted career force control (ECFC) date. In no case will an individual be authorized to reenlist for a period less than three years or with less than a three-year drilling obligation, in addition to their current contractual drilling obligation.
2. Rank and MOS Eligibility
a. Sergeants with the following MOS are eligible for the SRB-R: 0211, 0241, 0317, 0321, 0372, 0471, 0844, 1171, 1361, 1391, 1721, 2141, 2336, 2621, 2651, 2874, 3152, 4541, 5821, 5951, 5953, 5979, 6012, 6016, 6017, 6018, 6074, 6173, 6256, 6276, 6531, and 6842.
b. Staff sergeants (to include staff sergeant selects) with the following MOS are eligible for the SRB-R: 0211, 0241, 0261, 0321, 0363, 0369, 0372, 0451, 0471, 0481, 0629, 0639, 0679, 0681, 0811, 0848, 1142, 1161, 1171, 1361, 1371, 1391, 1721, 1833, 2141, 2147, 2171, 2336, 2629, 2651, 2862, 2874, 3152, 3381, 3529, 5769, 5821, 5951, 5974, 5979, 6012, 6016, 6017, 6018, 6123, 6124, 6132, 6173, 6176, 6216, 6227, 6256, 6276, 6286, 6287, 6324, 6423, 6531, 6842, 7011, 7051, 7236, 7242, and 7257.
c. Gunnery sergeants (to include gunnery sergeant selects) with the following MOS are eligible for the SRB-R: 0241, 0261, 0321, 0363, 0369, 0451, 0491, 0639, 0679, 0681, 0869, 0848, 1169, 1349, 1361, 1721, 1833, 2141, 2171, 2336, 2651, 2862, 2874, 3112, 3152, 3381, 5769, 5939, 5948, 5953, 5979, 6012, 6016, 6017, 6018, 6042, 6114, 6123, 6124, 6132, 6173, 6174, 6176, 6227, 6276, 6287, 6423, 6672, 6842, 7011, 7051, 7242, and 7291.
d. Master sergeants (to include master sergeant selects) with the following MOS are eligible for the SRB-R: 0211, 0231, 0241, 0321, 0393, 0399, 0491, 0681, 0699, 1169, 1349, 1799, 2149, 2181, 2336, 2691, 2874, 2891, 3051, 3112, 3152, 3529, 5993, 6012, 6016, 6018, 6019, 6276, 6672, 6694, 6842, 7011, 7051, and 7291.
3. Eligibility Conditions for the SRB-R
a. Marines must have a Mandatory Drill Participation Stop Date (MDPSD) expiring prior to 1 October 2021, no MDPSD in the system, or an expired MDPSD.
b. Reenlist in accordance with reference (e) for a minimum of four years between 1 October 2020 and 30 September 2021. Eligible Marines may reenlist up to 24 months prior to their current Reserve End of Current Contract (RECC).
c. Marines requesting the SRB-R who are currently in receipt of a bonus may apply if they otherwise qualify for the SRB-R incentive. However, they must reenlist for the total months required for both obligations. For example, a staff sergeant with one year remaining on a current SRIP bonus must reenlist for a total of four years to be eligible for the SRB-R. If the staff sergeant fails to complete the 48 month obligation, only the SRB-R would be subject to recoupment.
d. Marines must serve in a valid Billet Identification Code (BIC) for the SRB-R incentive commensurate with grade and primary military occupational specialty (PMOS) or necessary military occupational specialty (NMOS) per the billet military occupational specialty (BMOS) requirement. Marines must be a grade match for the BIC or may serve in a BIC that is one grade higher. Marines in PMOS 0211, 0241, 1171, 1391, 1721, 2171, 2874, 5821, 5951, 5979, 6173, and 6256 are authorized to fill one billet grade lower.
e. Complete the required PMOS or NMOS training per reference (c).
f. Marines must not have more than 20 total years of military service on the date of reenlistment (use the pay entry base date (PEBD).
g. Marines must not have failed selection to the next higher grade in the SMCR, or have been reduced in rank to their current grade. Applicants will be disqualified from the SRB-R if they received non-judicial punishment in the last 12 months.
h. The unit must not be scheduled to deactivate or redesignate for the duration of the Marines obligation for this incentive.
i. Marines must not have more than a 3-year break in service from the AC or active reserve, or satisfactory participation from the SMCR or Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA). Marines with more than a three-year break must have earned a minimum of 50 points for each anniversary year during the past three years.
a. Recipients of the SRB-R will incur a 3-year drilling obligation with an SMCR unit from the date of reenlistment.
b. Marines must serve in the BMOS and the unit in which they reenlisted.
a. Recoupment will occur at a prorated amount if the Marine:
(1) Fails to fulfill the obligation;
(2) Fails to participate satisfactorily;
(3) Executes an Inter Unit Transfer (IUT) or LATMOV without prior written approval from RA (RAP);
(4) Transfers to the IRR;
(5) Performs active duty operational support (ADOS) or voluntary mobilization with a unit other than their own for a period greater than 90 cumulative days per fiscal year without prior written approval from MARFORRES. MARFORRES shall notify RA (RAP) of this waiver prior to the execution of ADOS;
(6) Augments to the AC;
(7) Transfers to the IMA Program except as stated in 6b(3) below.
b. Recoupment will not occur if the Marine:
(1) Is required to involuntarily transfer to the IRR due to a unit deactivation, resignation, disability, or being twice passed for promotion;
(2) Is commissioned or accepts an appointment to warrant officer in the SelRes and has served at least one year of the incentive service obligation.
(3) Joins the IMA upon unit deactivation or redesignation as a result of Force Structure Review Group (FSRG), Force Optimization Review Group (FORG), or Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) actions.
6. Marines not completing their 3-year service obligation without prior written approval of RA (RAP) shall be reviewed by Commander, MARFORRES (COMMARFORRES) for administrative separation from the Marine Corps per the DD Form 4. Requests for early release or deferment of the 3-year service obligation shall be submitted to COMMARFORRES. Recoupment will still apply for service members approved for Inter-Service Transfer (IST) or the Prior Service Enlistment Program (PSEP).
7. Administrative Guidance
a. Submission and Payment Process. Unit Career Planners will submit requests for Marines who are current members of the SMCR and IMA Marines requesting to IUT to an SMCR unit. Unit Career Planners will submit incentive requests for AC Marines applying for the Direct Affiliation Program (DAP). Payment of this incentive requires the following five-step process:
(1) RA (RAM) must approve the completed statement of understanding (SOU).
(2) RA (RAM) will assign a Bonus Control Number (BCN).
(3) Acceptance of the incentive via Total Force Retention System (TFRS) authority.
(4) In accordance with reference (g), RA (RAM) will report the obligation via unit diary. RA (RAM) will report the Draw Case Code “RK” - SMCR Retention Bonus (Enlisted) via unit diary.
(5) Administrative entries by the SMCR unit S-1 (join, Reserve BIC, reenlistment, extension, bonus Program Enlisted For (PEF) code, bonus entry).
b. All requests for the SRB-R must be submitted via TFRS to RA (RAM).
c. A signed SOU must be submitted with the TFRS request prior to issuance of a bonus.
(1) SOUs are found in the forms section of TFRS.
(2) A valid FY21 SOU will contain the Marines name and EDIPI, unit information, BIC information, PMOS/NMOS, and appropriate signatures. If the SOU is missing any required data it will be returned to the appropriate unit for corrective action.
d. RA (RAM) will adjudicate and return the RELM request via TFRS to the originator (PSR/Career Planners) with the following items: RA (RAM) endorsed SOU with bonus approval/disapproval and incentive administrative reporting guidance document.
e. Once the TFRS authority is accepted by the Marine prior to the no later than date, the following actions are required:
(1) The originator must:
(a) Enter the acceptance date in TFRS.
(b) Provide the endorsed SOU, incentive administrative reporting guidance document, and the RELM to the unit administrative section for appropriate action.
(2) RA (RAM) will ensure that the appropriate obligation remark is reported in Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS) which will allow for the payment to process.
(3) The career planner will annotate in block “8” of the DD Form 4 with the following remarks: “I agree to continue affiliation with RUC XXXXX MCC XXX for three years from the date of reenlistment or the end of my current drilling obligation, whichever is later, for the incentive listed. I understand that failure to meet the requirements for affiliation will result in a prorated recoupment and may be grounds for administrative separation from the Marine Corps.”
(4) The unit administrative section must:
(a) Report the four-year reenlistment and new MDPSD (three additional years from the date of reenlistment or current MDPSD).
(b) Verify MCTFS D302 screen to validate posting of the obligation remark.
(c) Report the Reserve BIC via the Inventory Development and Management System (IDMS).
(d) Report the bonus PEF code and SRB-R entry per the incentive administrative reporting guidance document via MCTFS. The applicable bonus program code for the SRB-R is “Z9”.
(e) Email the DD Form 4 along with the RA (RAM) endorsed SOU to Manpower Management Records and Performance (MMRP) branch for inclusion into the Marines Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) to SMB.Manpower.MMRP@usmc.mil.
f. Payment will execute upon completion of all MCTFS reporting and posting requirements.
g. Waiver requests will be submitted to the Reserve Affairs Personnel Policy, Plans, and Programming and Budgeting (RA (RAP)) as an attachment to the TFRS request. Waiver requests submitted from Career Planners will include the member's chain of command endorsement up to the first O-5 level commander (battalion/squadron). RA (RAP) will approve/disapprove waiver requests in the adjudication process of the TFRS request.
h. Bonus requests must be received by RA (RAM) no later than 31 August 2021.
i. Marines in receipt of the SRB-R are required to waive the reasonable commuting distance requirement (if applicable) per reference (f).
j. Marines who fail to reenlist within 60 days or by 30 September 2021, whichever is earlier, forfeit their incentive eligibility.
8. Lateral Move (LATMOV) in Conjunction with the SRB-R
a. Requests for assignment to the FY21 SMCR LATMOV program must be approved by RA (RAM) prior to the Marine affiliating or agreeing to remain affiliated with the SMCR unit and will be included in the SRB-R TFRS RELM.
b. Marines assigned to the SRB-R program must attend MOS training in accordance with reference (h), within 180 days from the date of acceptance to remain eligible for the incentive. Failure to meet this deadline will result in disqualification for this incentive. Furthermore, Marines that fail to meet the LATMOV program requirements may be involuntarily transferred to the IRR.
c. If a LATMOV is necessary, payment of the incentive will not be received until MOS training is complete. RA (RAM) will report the basic and intended MOS and the correct BIC assigned in IDMS by the SMCR unit/site support prior to the Marine attending training in MCTFS.
d. The applicable bonus program code for the SRB-R with LATMOV is “RE”. The unit administration section is responsible for reporting appropriate unit diary entries once the Marine has completed the scheduled training and has returned to the SMCR unit. Upon reporting the appropriate bonus entries, payment to the Marine will occur.
e. The MOS training requirements will not be waived.
f. The FY21 SMCR LATMOV program information is provided via separate correspondence.
g. All payments must be made before the Marine completes 24 years of total service.
9. IUTs in conjunction with the SRB-R must be approved by RA (RAM) simultaneously with the SRB-R. Units must include a completed Marine Forces Reserve (MARFORRES) IUT request checklist and submit as an attachment with the TFRS request. The IUT checklist must be endorsed by the gaining command with MARFORRES approval letter. The current IUT procedure is completed through RTAAMS IDMS through the MARFORRES G-1 Manpower section.
10. Incentives will be issued on a first come, first served basis due to finite incentive funds.
11. This incentive is available for service in SMCR units only.
12. This MARADMIN cancels on 30 September 2021.
13. Release authorized by Major General H. G. Pratt, Director, Reserve Affairs Division.//