R 131549Z OCT 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2021 (FY21) INACTIVE DUTY TRAINING (IDT) TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/DOD/YMD: 20180701//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC(RA)/YMD: 20200212//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS THE JOINT TRAVEL REGULATIONS. REFERENCE (B) IS THE SELECTED RESERVE BILLET IDENTIFICATION CODE (BIC) ASSIGNMENT AND MANAGEMENT POLICY. REFERENCE (C) IS THE MARINE CORPS TOTAL FORCE SYSTEM (MCTFS) PERSONNEL REPORTING INSTRUCTIONS USER MANUAL//
POC/S. A. BROCKWAY/MAJ/RAP-2/TEL: 703-432-9771/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/D. P. KAYWOOD/GYSGT/RAP-2/TEL: 703-432-9771/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/MARFORRES G-1/EMAIL: SMB_IDT_TRAVEL@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To update service guidance, reimbursement procedures, eligibility criteria, and reporting requirements for IDT Travel Reimbursement in accordance with (IAW) reference (a).
2. Background. This program is designed to incentivize travel for select Marines to address critical staffing shortfalls within the Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR).
a. Distance. Marines must be assigned to a SMCR unit located 150 miles or more from their primary residence entered in Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS) as calculated by the Defense Table of Official Distances (DTOD) using Permanent Change of Station/Temporary Duty route type. Reimbursement is only paid for travel from Marines’ primary residence and their assigned Reserve Training Center (RTC) per paragraph 5.a. of this MARADMIN.
b. BIC match. Marines must be assigned to a BIC that matches their grade and Primary Military Occupational Specialty (PMOS), Additional MOS (AMOS), or be an acceptable BIC mismatch IAW reference (b). A valid BIC must be entered in MCTFS IAW reference (c). Marines assigned in excess or categorized as a discrepancy, per reference (b), are not eligible.
(1) Billet grade of one-up is authorized.
(2) Billet grade of one-down requires a waiver from RA. Typically, these waivers will not be considered except as noted inparagraph e.
c. Eligibility by unit, ranks, and MOS.
(1) By Unit.
(a) Company grade officers, majors, and lieutenant colonels that are serving at the regiment/group level or below are eligible for IDT Travel Reinbursement.
(b) Lieutenant colonels and colonels are authorized IDT Travel Reimbursement while serving in a Commandant of the Marine Corps screened and slated O5 or O6 command billet, O6 Senior Reserve Advisor billet, or O6 Senior Leader Assignments as announced on the Reserve Command Screening Board and Reserve Senior Leader Board Results MARADMIN.
(c) Enlisted members are eligible for IDT Travel reimbursement in any unit if they meet the parameters of paragraphs (2) through (5) below.
(2) Corporals/Sergeants with MOSs: 0211, 0241, 0261, 0317, 0321, 0471, 0532, 0627, 0844, 1171, 1361, 1391, 1721, 2141, 2336, 2621, 2651, 2874, 3152, 4541, 5821, 5951, 5953, 5979, 6012, 6016, 6017, 6018, 6074, 6123, 6124, 6173, 6174, 6176, 6216, 6256, 6276,6423, 6531, 6842, 7236, and 7257.
(3) Corporals/Sergeants with the MOSs of 0231, 0313, 0451, 1371, 2147, 2161, 2631, 2831, 5811, 5814, 5819, 5954, 5974, and 6156 who were eligible for IDT Travel Reimbursement during FY20, will remain eligible during FY21 as long as they have remained with the same unit.
(4) All FY21 Non-Prior Service Marines assigned to MOS 0241 and 2651 at reporting unit code (RUC) 14802 and 14806.
(5) All Staff Noncommissioned Officer (SNCO) ranks and MOSs.
(6) All warrant officers. Warrant officers are eligible as MOS mismatches when their Primary MOS (PMOS) occupational field matches that of their BIC. For example, a warrant officer with PMOS 0205 filling an 0210 BIC is eligible for reimbursement.
d. Authorized exceptions
(1) Company grade officers. Captains serving as a PMOS or AMOS match, or be an acceptable BIC mismatch IAW reference (b), in a company grade officer BIC (O1-O3) are eligible, provided all other requirements of this MARADMIN are met.
(2) Aviators. Majors assigned Duty Involving Flying Operational (DIFOP) to a deployable unit (HMH, HMLA, VMM, VMFA, VMGR, VMR, and VMU) are exempt from the grade restriction specified in paragraph 3b, and are authorized reimbursement.
(3) Aviators with the MOS of 7518 assigned to Squadron Augmentation Units (SAU) are authorized reimbursement.
(4) Forward Air Controller (FAC)/Air Officers. Marine aviators in the rank of major serving as a PMOS or AMOS match in a company grade officer FAC/Air Officer (MOS 7502) billet are eligible provided all other requirements of this MARADMIN are met.
(5) Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC). Marines with an additional MOS of 8002 serving in a JTAC BIC as a grade match in accordance with paragraph 3b are authorized.
e. Counterintelligence/Human Source Intelligence (CI/HUMINT) (PMOS 0211).
(1) Corporals, sergeants, and staff sergeants who submit a PMOS 0211 lateral move package to fill an open 0211 BIC are eligible for reimbursement to conduct the board interview process.
(2) Marines with PMOS 0313, 0321, 2651, 2831, 5974, 6276,6842, and 7257 are authorized reimbursement when filling a BIC one grade below the necessary grade.
f. Marines assigned to 4th Reconnaissance Company located in Kaneohe, Hawaii, who commute less than 150 miles to their RTC but require off-island travel are authorized reimbursement. Marines must be a rank and MOS match to the billet assigned (billet grade of one-up is authorized; billet grade of one-down requires a waiver from RA).
g. Lateral Move. Marines approved for a lateral move will become eligible once the PMOS, or Necessary MOS (NMOS) for their assigned BIC, has been attained.
h. Marine Aviation Training Support Group 42 and Aviation Command and Control Team Marines are not eligible, except IAW paragraph 3.e.(3) and 3.e.(5) above.
4. Waivers. Waiver requests of eligibility requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis by RA. Marines must submit requests via NAVMC 10274 endorsed by the chain of command, to include the Major Subordinant Command Headquarters, and the Commander, Marine Forces Reserve (COMMARFORRES) AC/S G-1.
5. Reimbursements. Total reimbursement will not exceed 500 dollars per round trip IAW reference (a). Receipts are required for each request.
a. Transportation, lodging, and meals. Actual cost and fees incurred as a result of travel between the member's primary residence as entered in MCTFS and assigned RTC may be paid as incidentals, but must be IAW reference (a). IAW reference (a), if a rental car is authorized or approved, only costs for travel days to and from the IDT location may be paid.
b. Frequency. Reimbursement is limited to eleven (11) round trips per Marine, per FY. Aviators (MOS 75XX) assigned DIFOP to SMCR tactical squadrons (HMH, HMLA, VMM, VMFA, VMFT, VMGR, VMR, VMU, and SAUs) are allowed reimbursement not to exceed twenty-two (22) round trips per FY to include additional drill periods (ADP) necessary to meet minimum annual flight hour requirements.
c. Reimbursement will continue at the discretion of RA or as otherwise mandated by law. This program may be restricted due to budget constraints.
d. Reimbursement, if approved, is authorized to begin on the day approved by COMMARFORES. Reimbursement may not be made retroactive.
6. Coordinating Instructions
a. No earlier than the Monday following the first weekend of each month, Marine Forces Reserve (MARFORRES) will compile the list of all potentially eligible Marines in MARFORRES SMCR units by applying the rule sets detailed in paragraph 3 of this message. Members not properly joined to the SMCR unit IAW reference (b), and/or who do not have a valid BIC and/or valid Primary Residence entered in MCTFS IAW reference (c) by the data compilation date, will not be considered as potentially eligible for that month.
b. MARFORRES will publish a monthly list of eligible Marines, and provide this list to each Major Subordiante Command AC/S G-1, and the Finance Offices. Members not listed will not be eligible to receive reimbursement for that month.
c. MARFORRES will add eligible Marines (via cross-org) to a restricted list into the Defense Travel System (DTS) that will be utilized to settle authorized IDT Travel Reimbursement claims utilizing FY21 Lines of Accounting (LOA). Access to all previous FY LOAs will be removed no later than 31 December, 2020. Any outstanding claims must be settled against these previous FY LOAs no later than 31 December, 2020.
d. Marines and unit administrators will ensure that beginning 1 October 2020, FY21 IDT Travel Reimbursement claims will be made using only the proper FY21 LOA found on the “Accounting” screen in DTS under “Cross Org LOA”. The utilization of any other LOA will result in reimbursement requests being returned to the Marine without action. Questions concerning access to the FY21 LOA will be directed to SMB_IDT_TRAVEL@USMC.MIL.
e. Individual units will verify that the Marine meets criteria set forth in paragraph 3, and are responsible for ensuring compliance with updates published by RA.
f. MARFORRES is responsible for managing the reimbursement process and for confirming member eligibility based on RA criteria.
g. MARFORRES will submit a consolidated list of program participants to RA no later than the first day of each quarter. The list will include the following items: Electronic Data Interchange Personal Identifier (EDIPI), assigned BIC, and DTOD calculated commute distance.
h. RA will conduct an annual review and publish updates to eligibility requirements to ensure funds are used to incentivize Marines to fill critical manpower shortfalls.
i. This travel authorization is separate from, and may not be combined with, the authorization for off-site IDT Travel Reimbursement IAW reference (a).
j. Commanders are not authorized to deny a reimbursement request that meets program eligibility requirements in this MARADMIN.
7. This reimbursement is available for service in SMCR units only. Members of the Individual Mobilization Augmentee program are not eligible for reimbursement.
8. Authorizations granted in this MARADMIN will remain in place until cancelled by a future MARADMIN.
9. Release authorized by Major General H. G. Pratt, Director, Reserve Affairs Division.//