R 281738Z DEC 20
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/EXCESS BILLET IDENTIFCATION CODE FOR SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE MARINES ENROLLED IN NON-RESIDENT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1001R.1L/YMD: 20180315//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC(RA)/YMD: 20191010//
REF/C/MSGID: MSGID: DOC/DODI/31MAY2013//
REF/D/MSGID: DOC/TITLE 10 USC/SECTION 1076D//
REF/E/MSGID: MSG/MCO 1900.16 CH2/YMD: 20190215//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT MANUAL (MCRAMM). REFERENCE (B) RESERVE AFFAIRS BILLET IDENTIFICATION CODE (BIC) ASSIGNMENT AND MANAGEMENT POLICY. REFERENCE (C) IS DODI 1341.13, POST-9/11 GI BILL, INCORPORATING CHANGE 1 DATED 12 JULY 2018. REFERENCE (D) IS 10 US CODE SECTION 1076D, TITLED TRICARE PROGRAM; TRICARE RESERVE SELECT COVERAGE FOR MEMBERS OF THE SELECTED RESERVE. REFERENCE (E) IS THE MARINE CORPS SEPARATIONS AND RETIREMENT MANUAL.//
POC/J. R. MASON/MAJ/RA (RAP-1)/TEL: (703)784-9138/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/J. E. BURKETT/LTCOL/MFR (G-1)/TEL: (504)697-7188/EMAIL: JASON.E.BURKETT@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message announces the creation of a new excess billet identification code (BIC) and updates current policies found in references (a) and (b) to facilitate Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) Marines’ continuous eligibility for Tricare Reserve Select (TRS) and Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) when they are accepted and/or enrolled into non-resident Professional Military Education (PME) programs.
2. Background. It is in the best interest of the Marine Corps to remove barriers for Marines to attend PME. Reserve Component Marines enrolled in non-resident PME programs may find it difficult to simultaneously balance military drilling obligations, family, work, and PME requirements. As a result, they may potentially transfer to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) to alleviate their drilling obligations while completing PME.
3. To avoid a break in Selected Reserve (SELRES) affiliation, SMCR Marines may elect to request transfer to an excess BIC within their unit in accordance with the following guidelines:
a. Marines will provide proof of enrollment in non-resident PME and, via electronic personnel action request (ePAR), request to be assigned to the excess BIC within their current unit.
b. Per reference (b), SMCR commands shall request HQMC place the Marine into an Excess BIC Indicator (EBI) using code EX011. Send requests for assignment of this EBI to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the Reserve Reporting Unit Code, the Marine’s name, rank, Primary Military Occupational Specialty (PMOS) and the name of the PME program.
c. Upon placement into a BIC in excess under code EX011, Marines will:
(1) be excused from scheduled unit drills and annual training duty periods.
(2) receive not observed fitness reports while in excess if they do not attend any drills or complete any periods of active duty during the reporting period.
(3) complete calendar and fiscal year training requirements (e.g., Physical Fitness Test, height/weight).
d. SMCR units may join another qualified Marine to the BIC vacated by the Marine in excess. Marines in excess are not guaranteed reaffiliation to their previous BIC or unit upon completion of PME.
4. Marines may be placed in excess under code EX011 for not more than 24-months. Marines who are unable to affiliate into the SELRES (SMCR unit or IMA) within 90 days after completion of non-resident PME or remain in BIC EX011 past 24-months will be transferred to the IRR.
a. Must be a satisfactory participant in a SMCR unit over a period of no less than 12 months.
b. Have no unexcused absences within the last 12 months.
c. Must not be currently assigned to the Body Composition Program or Military Appearance Program.
d. Passed the PFT and CFT within the last 12 months.
a. Marines cannot exceed service limits for grade in accordance per reference (e).
b. Subject to non-judicial punishment in the last 12 months.
c. Reserve Officer Commissioning Program (ROCP) Officers with obligated service.
d. Marines with drilling obligation incurred due to initial contract, receipt of a bonus or incentive, completion of formal training, or any other service obligation.
7. Marines who fail to comply with any of the following are eligible to be transferred to the IRR by their SMCR unit:
a. Failure to complete training due to disciplinary action or academic failure.
b. Failure to meet required physical standards including the PFT, CFT, and body composition standards.
c. Failure to affiliate within 90 days of PME graduation.
d. Failure to complete mandatory annual training requirements.
8. Coordinating Instructions.
a. Requests for exceptions to this policy shall be sent to email@example.com and will be adjudicated on a case-by-case basis.
9. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Reserve Component.
10. Release authorized by Major General H. G. Pratt, Director, Reserve Affairs Division.//