R 101345Z MAR 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP//
SUBJ/PUBLICATION OF MARINE CORPS ORDER 1001.65A, ACTIVE COMPONENT OFFICER RETENTION AND PRIOR SERVICE ACCESSIONS//
AMPN/REF (A) ACTIVE COMPONENT OFFICER RETENTION AND PRIOR SERVICE ACCESSIONS//
POC/P. M. KIRK/MAJ/MMOA-3/-/TEL: DSN 278-9285/EMAIL: SMBMANPOWEROFFICERPR@USMC.MIL//
POC/W. L. DUNST/CAPT/MPP-30/TEL: (703)784-9365/EMAIL: WILLIAM.DUNST@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This MARADMIN announces the publication of Marine Corps Order (MCO) 1001.65A, Active Component Officer Retention and Prior Service Accessions.
2. Background. This order (ref (a)) cancels MCO 1001.65 and establishes policy for the Officer Retention Board (ORB) for active component junior company grade officers, which normally has four separate and distinct sub-boards: general career designation (CD), return to active duty (RAD), inter-service transfer (to the Marine Corps), and redesignation (limited duty officer to unrestricted officer).
3. Major policy revisions in ref (a) are outlined below.
3.a. Authorizes Alternate CD. Alternate CD authorizes junior company grade officer boards or panels to offer CD to officers who accept orders to competitive assignment or program selection for Manpower Management Officer Assignment sponsored boards or panels.
3.b. Lateral move. MPP-30 may require officers to execute lateral moves to another primary military occupational specialty upon acceptance of CD to manage inventory requirements. If an involuntary lateral move is required during the conduct of an ORB, CMC (MMOA-3) will manage this process with input from MPP-30 and Training Command.
3.c. Photographs. Photographs are prohibited from consideration by a selection board.
3.d. Return to Active Duty. Reserve Component (RC) lieutenants, captains, and majors that desire to apply for transfer to the Active Component (AC) must certify not having been twice passed for promotion to the next higher grade in either the RC or AC in their application.
4. Commanding officers shall ensure widest dissemination of the policy within reference (a).
5. Reference (a) may be accessed online via the Marine Corps Publications Electronic Library at https:(slash)(slash)www.marines.mil/News/Publications/MCPEL/Electronic-Library-Display/Article/2524222/mco-100165a/.
6. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
7. Release authorized by BGen J. G. Woodworth, Director, Manpower Plans and Policy.//