R 211945Z MAY 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC DCI IC4 WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/U.S. MARINE CORPS GUIDANCE ON THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE COMMERCIAL VIRTUAL REMOTE (CVR) ENVIRONMENT DECOMMISSIONING//
REF/A/MEMO/DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE (DOD) CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER (CIO) MEMORANDUM/DOD/18SEP2020//
REF/B/MARINE CORPS MICROSOFT 365 (M365) REFINED STRATEGIC GUIDANCE//
REF/C/MSG/OPERATIONAL SUPPORT FOR COMMERCIAL VIRTUAL REMOTE (CVR)/03 1423Z APR 20//
REF/D/MSG/COMMERCIAL VIRTUAL REMOTE (CVR) COLLABORATION ENVIRONMENT/07 2251Z APR 20//
REF/E/MSG/MARINE CORPS COMMERCIAL VITURAL REMOTE (CVR) UPDATED GUIDANCE/31 1308Z DEC 20//
NARR/REF (A) IS THE DOD CIO MEMORANDUM EXTENDING THE AVAILABILITY OF CVR TO FACILITATE COLLABORATIVE ACCESS AS ENDURING MICROSOFT 365 CAPABILITIES ARE IMPLEMENTED. REF (B) IS DEPUTY COMMANDANT FOR INFORMATION (DCI) M365 UPDATED GUIDANCE AND STRATEGY. REF (C) IS DCI INITIAL GUIDANCE FOR MARINE CORPS OPERATIONAL SUPPORT FOR CVR. REF (D) IS DCI GUIDANCE FOR MARINE CORPS PRIORITIZATION AND APPROPRIATE USE OF THE CVR ENVIRONMENT. REF (E) IS UPDATED GUIDANCE FOR MARINE CORPS SUPPORT FOR CVR. REF (F) IS MARINE CORPS INFORMATION ON APPROVED COLLABORATIVE TOOLS.//
POC//DONALD BARNES/LTCOL/UNIT: DCI IC4/TEL: (703) 693-3583//
POC/AARON ROSENBLATT/MAJ/UNIT: DCI IC4/TEL: (571) 256-8828//
POC/LAUREN JONES/CAPT/UNIT: DCI IC4/TEL: (571) 256-8815//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This message provides notification and guidance to the Marine Corps regarding the Department of Defense (DOD) decommissioning of the temporary Commercial Virtual Remote (CVR) environment, deployed temporarily to support remote work collaborations during the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
2. Background. Since March 2020, The Office of the Secretary of Defense has provided DOD users temporary access to the CVR environment, accessible with Microsoft Teams, in order to facilitate telework during the COVID-19 pandemic. Per reference (a), the DOD Chief Information Office established the decommission date for the CVR Environment on 15 June 2021. In order to continue facilitating collaborative capability beyond this date, the DOD has accelerated maturation of its long-term enduring DOD365 cloud environment. Headquarters Marine Corps has intentionally limited the number of Marine Corps users accessing CVR to those with unique requirements. This enabled the Marine Corps to align resources towards efforts within the enduring and more secure Marine Corps tenant in the DOD365 environment as outlined in references (b), (c), and (d).
3. Action. The following actions are required by USMC personnel that have a CVR account or used the CVR environment and wish to retain data or information. No action is required if a user’s account has been deactivated due to inactivity or data and information retention is not required.
3.a. Preparatory actions. The last day for users to access the CVR environment is 14 June 2021. The CVR Hub information portal, supported by Microsoft and DISA, is the primary source for decommissioning guidance, file migration guidance, and training resources. Alternative authorized collaborative tools as identified in reference (f) remain available for Marine Corps personnel. Information about additional capabilities within Microsoft Teams in the Marine Corps tenant and DOD365 environment, such as joint interoperability, will be promulgated in separate correspondence.
3.b. Data Retention. There will be no enterprise-level transfer of data from the CVR environment to any other repository. Marine Corps personnel who require retention of data within CVR are individually responsible for downloading, migrating, or retaining personal and unit data. No data or information within CVR will be accessible after 14 June 2021. The data and information classification within CVR may be up to controlled unclassified information (CUI). Marine Corps personnel must follow proper information protection measures according to the classification of the data being migrated.
4. Resources. Information and additional resources to assist with CVR decommissioning can be found at the following links:
4.a. CVR hub. Requires CVR account: https:(slash)(slash)dodtelework.sharepoint.com/sites/cvrhub
4.b. CVR account password reset portal. https:(slash)(slash)account.cvr.mil
4.c. Protection and storage of CUI. https:(slash)(slash)www.dodcui.mil
5. Applicability. This message is applicable to the total force.
6. Release authorized by BGen L. M. Mahlock, Director, Information C4 Division, Deputy Commandant for Information.//