R 251616Z MAY 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
SUBJ/NOMINATIONS FOR ASSIGNMENT AS DRILL MASTER, MARINE BARRACKS WASHINGTON//
NARR/REF A IS MCO 1300.8, MARINE CORPS PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENT POLICY. REF B IS MCO 5060.20, MARINE CORPS DRILL AND CEREMONIES MANUAL. REF C IS MCO 1326.6, SELECTING, SCREENING, AND PREPARING ENLISTED MARINES FOR SCREENABLE BILLETS AND INDEPENDENT DUTY ASSIGNMENTS (SCREENMAN)//
POC/A. TAGLIERE/SGTMAJ/MBW/-/TEL: 202-433-6764/TEL: DSN 288-4891//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message solicits nominations for assignment as Drill Master, Marine Barracks Washington (MBW), D.C.
2. The Drill Master supervises the maintenance of ceremonial excellence for the Commandant of the Marine Corps (CMC). The Drill Master is a special staff member to the Commanding Officer, MBW, and is responsible for the ceremonial conduct of all funerals and memorial ceremonies in the National Capital Region (NCR), dignified transfers at Dover Air Force Base, and all other Marine Corps ceremonial commitments throughout the NCR. The Drill Master supervises the Marine Corps Color Sergeant and color guard activities, full honors arrivals, joint ceremonies for wreath layings, street parades, Marine Corps birthday and cake cutting events, presidential cordons, sunset and evening parades, and other various ceremonial duties in highly visible venues. The Drill Master also serves as the ceremonial officer, teaches and supervises ceremonial drill instruction to Barracks personnel, maintains the Barracks order on ceremonial drill, and briefs the CMC, Assistant Commandant, Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, and various general officers involved in NCR events.
3. Eligibility. Marines considered for this assignment must be volunteers and meet the following basic criteria in addition to the Type II screenable billets section outlined under reference (c):
3.a. Hold the grade of, or be selected for promotion to, gunnery sergeant or master sergeant. First sergeants and sergeants major are not eligible.
3.b. Possess unquestionable moral character, superlative leadership, exceptional organizational skills, and the capacity to serve as an uncompromising example for others to emulate.
3.c. Be within height and weight standards and possess outstanding physical stamina and personal appearance.
3.d. Per reference (a), nominees must extend or reenlist to meet a minimum 36 months of obligated service to receive orders to MBW. Assignment orders will reflect a 36-month assignment in an 8014 billet.
3.e. Per reference (b), nominees must have a comprehensive understanding of Marine Corps drill and ceremonies.
3.f. Marines that have attended a formal military school in excess of 20 weeks or are currently serving in a screenable billet outside of their MOS will not be favorably considered until previous obligations have been served.
4. Nominations. Request commanders screen qualified volunteers and submit nomination packages to arrive at MBW not later than 5 July 2021 for screening.
4.a. Nominations are to include an endorsement letter by the nominee’s commander possessing court martial convening authority. The commander's (O-5 level endorsed) letter of recommendation will include the following enclosures: Basic Individual Record; Basic Training Record; Pages 11, UPB, and 13 of the Official Military Personnel File; Master Brief Sheet; latest fitness report; professional resume; biography; and NAVMC 11715 Financial Screening Worksheet.
4.b. Finalists must attend a 3-day selection process at MBW in August 2021 (travel 2 August, screening from 3 to 7 August, return flights booked NET 2359 on 7 August).
4.c. MBW will assume responsibility for required travel and associated TAD costs. Airline travel is recommended though POV travel is authorized if advantageous to the government with regards to cost. Government quarters and messing are directed. Rental vehicles may be authorized by the nominee’s parent command at their expense.
4.d. Send nomination packages electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the following address:
Marine Barracks Washington (attn: Barracks SgtMaj)
8th and I Streets, SE
Washington, DC 20390-5000
5. The Marine selected for assignment as the MBW Drill Master will be required to execute permanent change of station orders to Marine Barracks Washington with a report no later than date of 3 January 2022 in order to attend a 3-week ceremonial drill school, hosting course, and docent course prior to the 2022 parade season work-up.
6. Release authorized by Major General Gregg P. Olson, Staff Director of the Marine Corps.//