R 111834Z JUN 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/CH 1 TO FY21-02 TEST PILOT SCHOOL (TPS) SELECTION BOARD ANNOUNCEMENT//
REF/A/MSGID/DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/YMD: 20160531//
REF/B/MSGID/DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/YMD: 20140918//
REF/C/MSGID/MARADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM/R131332APR21//
NARR/REF A IS MCO 1542.3D, UNITED STATES NAVY/UNITED STATES AIR FORCE TEST PILOT SCHOOLS. REF B IS MCO 1300.8, MARINE CORPS PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENT POLICY. REF C IS MARADMIN 203/21, FY21-02 TEST PILOT SCHOOL (TPS) SELECTION BOARD ANNOUNCEMENT//
POC/W. CRONKRIGHT/LTCOL/EXECUTIVE OFFICER/MAD PATUXENT RIVER/TEL: (301) 342-1421, DSN 342-1421/EMAIL: WILLIAM.CRONKRIGHT@NAVY.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The purpose of this MARADMIN is to announce Change 1 to the FY21-02 TPS Selection Board.
2. Due to heavy involvement from numerous supporting agencies and the continuing effects from the COVID-19 pandemic, the United States Naval Test Pilot School (NTPS) has been forced to change the start date for NTPS Class 162 from April to July of 2022 and close further applications to NTPS Class 161.
3. This change has altered the solicitation requirements to support the developmental test programs for the Marine Corps.
4. The FY21-02 TPS Selection Board will now convene on or about 12 August 2021 to allow sufficient time for new applications.
5. The FY21-02 TPS Selection Board will consider applicants for assignment to NTPS Class 162 and Air Force Test Pilot School (AFTPS) class number 22-B which will both convene in July 2022.
6. Aviators who have previously submitted packages in accordance with Ref C will automatically be included for consideration. They are not required to resubmit. However, if package updates (i.e. command endorsements, updated transcripts, etc) are desired by those applicants, the new material can be sent via email to the POC of this MARADMIN.
6.a. Aviators from the following type-model-series MOSs are highly encouraged to apply (read in four columns):
MOS Type Class Quantity
6.a.1. 7315/18 or 7525/88 UAS NTPS Class 162 1
6.a.2. 7563/65 H-1 NTPS Class 162 1
6.a.3. 7566 CH-53 NTPS Class 162 1
6.a.4. 7523 F/A-18 NTPS Class 162 1
6.a.5. 7523 F/A-18 AFTPS Class 22-B 1
7. The following criteria for applicant eligibility will be used:
7.a. Applicants who are qualified for consideration:
7.a.1. Be a regular commissioned officer on active duty in the grade of Captain.
7.a.2. Be a regular commissioned officer on active duty in the grade of Major with less than 2 years time-in-grade by the projected class convening date.
7.a.3. Be a designated Naval Aviator, Naval Flight Officer, or UAS Officer (MOS 7315/7318).
7.a.4. A minimum of 1,000 flight hours by the projected class convening date.
7.a.5. Successful completion of college physics or mechanics and college level mathematics through calculus. Although not a requirement, a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, physical science, computer science or mathematics fields is highly desirable.
7.a.6. All O-3 candidates shall be PME complete for grade by the projected class convening date.
7.a.7. Security Clearance: All selected officers must have at least a SECRET clearance that will not expire during the next four Fiscal Years, and all selected officers must be eligible for a Top Secret-Sensitive Compartmented (TS-SCI) clearance.
7.b. Applicants who are not eligible for consideration:
7.b.1. Reserve commissioned officers.
7.b.2. Officers passed for promotion.
7.b.3. Officers serving on a Joint tour that have not met the minimum time on station requirements at least three months prior to class convening date.
7.b.4. Officers pending any medical or legal action that would knowingly preclude successful completion of the period of instruction and subsequent tour of duty.
7.b.5. Officers who have not completed their Commandants Career-Level Education Board (CCLEB) and Commandants Professional Intermediate Board (CPIB) utilization tour by 15 Apr 2022.
8. Time on Station Requirements:
8.a. Applicants must meet the minimum 24 months time-on-station requirement for CONUS assignment or be able to complete their tour control factor for OCONUS assignments. If an applicant does not meet the 24-month on-station obligation, a Command-Endorsed Waiver, via NAVMC 10274 (AA-Form), shall be submitted with the application. Transfer inside of the normal 24 months PCS time-on-station obligation will result in a gap for that command until that 24-month period has concluded. If an officer is selected prior to his/her normal rotation date, MMOA will attempt to provide a backfill. A commander's endorsement of the applicant’s letter of intent is considered acknowledgement of this situation. Negative endorsements should describe impact to the command if the officer is selected but will not preclude consideration.
8.b. Those officers in a Joint Assignment must meet their minimum time on station requirement by 30 April 2022.
8.c. Weapons and Tactics Instructors (WTIs) are eligible to apply, provided they will have met their post-Training Officer payback requirement, in accordance with Weapons and Tactics Training Program MCO.
9. Because of extensive pre-arrival training requirements associated with this curriculum, officers selected for TPS should expect to receive orders to report for duty approximately four months prior to the official course convening date provided in paragraph 5.
10. Eligibility Waivers. If a waiver is required to section (7.a) requirements, it shall be annotated on the online application questionnaire mentioned in paragraph 11.a. All waivers will be processed during the selection board. The requirement for a waiver should not be considered a disqualifier for favorable endorsements by the chain of command.
11. Application Requirements.
11.a. Applicants shall complete the entire online application questionnaire by navigating to: https:(slash)(slash)go.max.gov/tps
11.a.1. Applicants shall electronically submit a scanned "Letter of Intent" to apply for TPS to the Commanding Officer, Marine Aviation Detachment, Patuxent River. The letter of intent shall be submitted via the applicant’s chain of command with endorsements through the first colonel (or O-6 equivalent) in Naval Letter Format. A sample letter of intent is provided in the survey containing the online application questionnaire.
11.a.2. Command endorsements should specifically address the flying abilities and aviation leadership qualities of the applicant.
11.a.3. In the event an officer submits an application and is subsequently transferred, endorsements from the gaining command shall also be forwarded.
11.b. Digital copies of the following documents shall be uploaded via the applicable fields in the online application questionnaire:
11.b.1. 1-page applicant military biography. Summarize military school experience, operational, flight and leadership experience, as well as other noteworthy personal experiences that would be of interest to the selection board.
11.b.2. Legible copies of official college transcript(s). There is no requirement to have official copies sent directly to the selection board from the educational institutions. Transcript(s) shall show type of degree conferred and date conferred. Do not submit copies of diplomas.
11.b.3. Letters of recommendation (optional, maximum of five).
11.b.4. Letter of intent (refer to paragraph 11.a.1) and all endorsements.
12. Application Procedures.
12.a. The application deadline is 18 July 2021.
12.b. Applicants are required to contact their PMOS monitor via email to notify them of their intent to apply for TPS and confirm TOS eligibility or need for a waiver in accordance with paragraph 8.a of this message.
12.c. Those applicants unable to submit applications online may submit an administrative action form application to the Executive Officer, Marine Aviation Detachment, Patuxent River, listed in the POC paragraph. Submit hard copy applications to:
Marine Aviation Detachment
Attn: FY21-02 TPS Selection Board
22401 Cedar Point Road, Building 102
Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland 20670-1186
13. Prospective applicants are encouraged to informally contact the Executive Officer, Marine Aviation Detachment, Patuxent River for assistance during the application preparation process.
14. All applicants (except those who have already submitted in accordance with Ref C as mentioned in paragraph 6) shall submit a complete application package. Information contained in previous applications is not retained after the selection board.
15. Points of Contact:
15.a. Fixed Wing Majors Monitor, Maj Casey Gilliam,
(703) 784-9267, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
15.b. Fixed Wing Company Grade Monitor, Maj Jenner Yuhas,
(703) 784-9267, Email: email@example.com
15.c. Rotary Wing Majors Monitor, Maj Ryan Pallas,
(703) 784-9267, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
15.d. Rotary Wing Company Grade Monitor, Maj Norm Holcombe,
(703) 784-9267, Email: email@example.com
16. This MARADMIN is not applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.
17. Release authorized by BGen Michael J. Borgschulte, Director, Manpower Management Division.//