R 231933Z JUN 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/MODIFICATION OF THE TATTOO COMPLIANCE PHOTOGRAPH REQUIREMENT//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC MCUB/20180501//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC MMEA/20190219//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/CMC MMEA/20100908//
NARR/REF A IS MCO 1020.34H, MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS. REF B IS MCO 1326.6, SELECTING, SCREENING, AND PREPARING ENLISTED MARINES FOR SCREENABLE BILLETS AND INDEPENDENT DUTY ASSIGNMENTS (SCREENMAN). REF C IS MCO 1040.31, ENLISTED RETENTION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT//
POC/1/ASHINHURST, CHRISTOPHER A./LTCOL/MMEA-1 HEAD/703-432-9124/EMAIL: CHRISTOPHER.ASHINHUR@USMC.MIL//
POC/2/ROBERTS, STEPHEN P./MGYSGT/MMEA-1 OPERATIONS CHIEF/703-432-9125/EMAIL: STEPHEN.ROBERTS@USMC.MIL//
POC/3/KNOLL, NICHOLAS D./GYSGT/MMEA-1 A/OPERATIONS CHIEF/703-432-9019/EMAIL: NICHOLAS.KNOLL@USMC.MIL//
POC/4/HUSAR, TYLER J./CAPT/MMEA-25 A/UNIT HEAD/703-784-9335/EMAIL: TYLER.J.HUSAR@USMC.MIL//
POC/5/NOYES, ROBERT D./MGYSGT/RA/RETENTION CHIEF/703-784-0583/EMAIL: ROBERT.NOYES@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Background. Since Fiscal Year (FY) 15 Manpower Management has required 360 degree photos of all Marines submitting for enlisted Marine retention and Special Duty Assignment (SDA). The photos were previously used to validate compliance with the service tattoo policy reference (a) and reference (b).
2. Effective immediately, retention requests or any request for Special Duty Assignment submitted to Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC) will no longer require 360-degree photographs of Marines.
3. Marines who do not have visible tattoos when wearing properly fitting United States Marine Corps (USMC) Physical Training (PT) gear will no longer be required to submit photographs or artistic sketches of non-visible tattoos when submitting requests for retention or SDA.
4. For Marines who do not have any visible tattoos when wearing properly fitting USMC PT gear, Unit Sergeants Major, including those in an “Acting” capacity, or other Unit Senior Enlisted Leaders signing Page 5 of NAVMC 11537, will include a mandatory comment regarding the lack of visible tattoos with their recommendation.
4.a. The comment should read “SNM (or insert name) has no tattoos visible when wearing properly fitting USMC PT gear.” If the Unit Sergeant Major or other Senior Enlisted Leader is unavailable for signature, the Commander, or those in an “Acting” capacity, must make a comment regarding the lack of visible tattoos.
4.b. HQMC will return without action any retention or special duty assignment requests that does not contain the mandatory comment.
4.c. Command Teams at all levels must continue to ensure non-visible tattoos are in compliance with reference (a).
5. Marines with any tattoos visible when wearing properly fitting USMC PT gear will only provide a close up photograph of the visible tattoo, aligned with appropriate measuring device to ensure or validate compliance with the service tattoo policy.
5.a. Tattoo photos being submitted in accordance with Para 5 of this message must be placed in a separate file attachment in order to expedite review.
5.b. Tattoos that are not in compliance with the service tattoo policy must be documented in accordance with reference (a).
6. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
7. Release authorized by LtGen David A. Ottignon, Deputy Commandant, Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//