R 021708Z AUG 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP//
SUBJ/ FISCAL YEARS 2020 AND 2021 SPECIAL LEAVE ACCRUAL RELATED TO CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/USD(P&R)/16 APR 2020//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/ASN(M&RA)/28 JUL 2021//
NARR/ REF A IS USD(M&R) MEMORANDUM SPECIAL LEAVE ACCRUAL. REF B IS DODI 1327.06 INCORPORATING CHANGE FOUR OF 15 JAN 2021 LEAVE AND LIBERTY PROCEDURES. REF C IS ASN(M&RA) MEMORANDUM DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY GUIDANCE ON SPECIAL LEAVE ACCRUAL RELATED TO CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019 FOR FISCAL YEAR 2021.//
POC/MPO/TEL: (703) 784-9386/MPO@USMC.MIL//
1. Purpose. To provide guidance on Fiscal Years 2020 (FY20) and 2021 (FY21) Special Leave Accrual (SLA) related to COVID-19.
2. Per reference (a), Marines who served on active duty from 11 March 2020 through 30 September 2020, are authorized to accumulate annual leave in excess of 60 days (i.e., Special Leave Accrual) as shown on the September 2020 Leave and Earnings Statement (LES). This SLA is specifically due to COVID-19 and does not include SLA for any other circumstances for which SLA may be authorized. When combined with other previously earned SLA and accrued annual leave, the total amount of leave carried over cannot exceed 120 days. The SLA earned during FY20 specifically due to COVID-19 may be retained until the end of fiscal year 2023 (30 September 2023). Other SLA earned for circumstances other than COVID-19 is retained according to when and what circumstances it was earned following normal SLA procedures.
3. Per reference (b), the Secretary of the Navy has the authority to designate other duties as “qualifying duty” for SLA purposes.
4. Per reference (c), ASN(M&RA) designated performing active service from 1 October 2020 through 30 September 2021 as qualifying duty for SLA purposes.
4.a. Marines performing active service during the effective period are authorized to accumulate SLA in excess of 60 days (not to exceed 120 days) as shown on the end of month September 2021 LES. The SLA earned during FY21 specifically due to COVID-19 may be retained until the end of fiscal year 2024 (September 2024). Other SLA earned is retained according to normal SLA procedures. When combined with other previously earned SLA and accrued leave, the total amount of leave carried over to a new fiscal year cannot exceed 120 days.
4.b. Annual leave is used in a last-in, first-out process. For example, a Marine has 10 days SLA on 1 October 2021. The Marine uses 10 days of annual leave from 21 October thru 31 October 2021. The 10 days would be charged as 2.5 days annual leave earned during October 2021 and 7.5 days of SLA. The Marine would have 2.5 days of SLA remaining.
5. Any qualifying leave will be automatically restored requiring no action from the Marine or command during October 2021. Restored leave (SLA) will be available for review on the October 2021 LES.
6. Commanders will continue to encourage and provide Marines with opportunities to use their leave in the year it is earned.
7. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Total Force.
8. Release authorized by BGen A. T. Williamson, Division Director, Manpower Plans and Policy.//