R 041336Z AUG 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CG TECOM QUANTICO VA//
SUBJ/FORTHCOMING CHANGES TO THE PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST//
AMPN/REF A IS MARINE CORPS ORDER 6100.13A WITH CHANGE 3 MARINE CORPS PHYSICAL FITNESS AND COMBAT FITNESS TESTS//
POC/K.L. WADE/MAJ/TECOM HUMAN PERFORMANCE BRANCH/QUANTICO/
TEL: (703) 432-1688/EMAIL: KIMBERLY.L.WADE@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The purpose of this MARADMIN is to announce forthcoming changes in calendar year (CY) 2022 and CY 2023 to reference (a) for the plank event of the physical fitness test (PFT).
2. Background. Marine Corps human performance policies and standards are in a constant state of analysis, assessment, and modification, if necessary, to ensure that they best support the overall readiness of the force. As such, the Marine Corps adopted the plank in CY 2020 as an alternate to the abdominal crunch for the PFT as a means to measure core stability, strength, and endurance while reducing risk of injury. The plank's isometric hold requires constant muscle activation, engages almost twice as many muscles as the crunch, and is reliable in measuring midsection endurance required for military tasks and activities of daily living.
3. Starting 1 January 2022, the time required to achieve the maximum points will be 3 minutes, 45 seconds. Additionally, the time required to achieve the minimum points will be 1 minute, 10 seconds. Reference (a) will be revised to implement this change and provide the complete scoring table prior to 1 January 2022.
4. Effective 1 January 2023, the plank will be mandatory for the PFT and the abdominal crunch will no longer be an alternative to the plank. This MARADMIN serves as advance notice to ensure Marines have sufficient time to train and prepare for the plank event prior to the policy change in CY 2023.
5. Additional information and resources to include a plank training guide are available at https:(slant slant)www.fitness.marines.mil.
6. For questions contact the Human Performance Branch at: firstname.lastname@example.org or the listed POC.
7. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
8. Release authorized by Lieutenant General Lewis A. Craparotta, Commanding General, Training and Education Command.//