R 141722Z SEP 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/RESERVE RETIREMENT POINT CREDIT POLICY DUE TO TRAVEL OR DUTY RESTRICTION CAUSED BY CORONAVIRUS//
REF/B/DOC/NDAA 2021/YMD: 20210101//
REF/C/DOC/PROCLAMATION 9994/YMD: 20200313//
REF/D/DOC/DODI 1215.07/YMD: 20210517
REF/E/DOC/SECNAV MEMO/YMD: 20210713
REF/F/DOC/MCO 1001R.1L W/CH 1/YMD: 20180315
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS TITLE 10 UNITED STATES CODE; SECTION 12732 ADDRESSES ENTITLEMENT TO RETIRED PAY AND COMPUTATION OF YEARS OF SERVICE. REFERENCE (B) IS THE NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT FOR FISCAL YEAR 2021. SECTION 516 MODIFIES REFERENCE (A) AND PROVIDES FOR THE SUBJECT PROVISION. REFERENCE (C) IS PROCLAMATION 9994, “DECLARING A NATIONAL EMERGENCY CONCERNING THE NOVEL CORONAVIRUS DISEASE (COVID-19) OUTBREAK”. REFERENCE (D) IS DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE INSTRUCTION 1215.07, “SERVICE CREDIT FOR NON-REGULAR RETIREMENT,” WHICH INCORPORATES A CHANGE ADDRESSING THE SUBJECT PROVISION. REFERENCE (E) IS SECRETARY OF THE NAVY (SECNAV) MEMORANDUM PROVIDING IMPLEMENTATION GUIDANCE AND DELEGATING AUTHORITY TO COMMANDANT OF MARINE CORPS (CMC) TO GRANT RETIREMENT CREDIT POINTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH (IAW) REFERENCES (A-E). REFERENCE (F) IS THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT MANUAL. CHAPTERS THREE PROVIDES GUIDANCE ON RESERVE DUTY AND TRAINING PROGRAMS.//
POC/RESERVE AFFAIRS PERSONNEL POLICY (RAP-1)/TEL: 703-784-9138/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/PURPOSE/1. This MARADMIN provides implementation guidance for references (a) through (e).
2. Commandant of the Marine Corps delegates to the first General Officer (GO) or senior executive service-equivalent, in the Reserve Component (RC) Marine’s chain of command (normally the Commanding General of a Major Subordinate Command) the authority to grant up to 29 points to be included in the computation of retired pay for periods of service unable to be performed due to travel or duty restrictions during the period beginning on March 1, 2020 and ending on or before the date the national emergency declared in Proclamation 9994 ends. Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Military Manpower and Personnel) (DASN MMP) retains the authority to grant 30 to 35 points, per reference (e).
3. Criteria. References (d) through (e) state that retirement points shall not be broadly awarded to all RC Marines, but instead according to the following criteria.
a. The RC Marine must be in good standing, defined as when the quality of the member’s service has been honest and faithful and generally has met the standards of acceptable conduct. The RC Marine must not be in an “unsatisfactory participant” status as defined by reference (f), and must not have any unsatisfactory drills within the six months preceding the identified scheduled drills or training event(s) during the specified period.
b. The RC Marine may not be credited more than 35 points in a one year period. The one year period is the RC Marine’s anniversary year.
(1) Per reference (e), RC Marines requesting to be credited 30 to 35 points shall submit a NAVMC 10274, Administrative Action (AA) Form to the DASN MMP via Director, Reserve Affairs (Dir, RA) and the Marine’s chain of command.
c. The day(s) of active service or period(s) of drill or equivalent instruction must have been scheduled to be performed by the Marine requesting credit on or after March 1, 2020, and on or before the date the national emergency declared in Proclamation 9994 ends.
(1) The AA Form must list the date(s) that were scheduled to be performed by the Marine requesting credit and were subsequently cancelled. The number of points awarded for each type of duty will not exceed the limits in reference (f). Additionally, the listed dates must be supported by one or a combination of the following source documents:
(a) A Requirements, Transition and Manpower Management System (RTAMMS), Drill Manager (DM) report listing the date(s) scheduled to be performed by the RC Marine.
(b) A signed/published letter of instruction with dates corresponding to those listed in paragraph 3.c.1 to be performed by the Marine.
(c) A published Training Exercise Employment Plan (TEEP) with dates corresponding to those listed in paragraph 3.c.1 to be performed by the Marine.
d. The day(s) of active service or period(s) of drill(s) or equivalent instruction must have been cancelled due to travel or duty restrictions in place due to the National Emergency declared in Proclamation 9994. The AA Form will include a statement that the dates(s) listed in paragraph 3.c.1 “were cancelled due to travel or duty restrictions in place due to the National Emergency declared in Proclamation 9994”.
e. Such retirement points are needed by the Marine to reach the minimum required number of points creditable toward retirement for that Marine’s anniversary year.
(1) Per references (a) and (d), 50 points is required for any anniversary year to be counted as a qualifying year of creditable service. Subject to the 35 point maximum in 3.b, a Marine shall not exceed 50 points during the anniversary year(s) in which they are granted retirement credit points under this provision.
(2) The AA Form will include a statement that “points credited are needed to obtain the 50 point minimum required to count as a qualifying year”.
f. The cancelled day(s) of active service or period(s) of drill or equivalent instruction must not have been rescheduled and performed. The AA Form must include a statement that “the cancelled day(s) were not rescheduled and performed”.
g. No inactive duty pay or basic pay may be paid for the period(s) for which these retirement points are granted. The AA Form will include a statement indicating that “no inactive duty pay or basic pay was paid for the period(s) for which these retirement points are requested.”
a. Affected Marines
(1) Request the retirement points provided for by this provision by submitting an AA Form to the Marine’s parent unit or supporting Installation Personnel Administration Center (IPAC) via a Marine On-Line (MOL) Electronic Personnel Action Request (EPAR).
(2) All criteria in paragraph three must be satisfied and appropriately documented.
(3) Requests to credit up to 29 points will be addressed to and adjudicated by the first general officer or senior executive service-equivalent in the Marine’s chain of command.
(4) Requests to credit 30 to 35 points shall be forwarded to The DASN MMP via Dir, RA and the Marine’s chain of command.
b. Parent Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) Unit Administrators or Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) Operational Sponsors (with the assistance of their supporting Installation Personnel Administration Center (IPAC), or Force Headquarters Group (Marine Corps Individual Reserve Support Activity), MARFORRES for former SMCR or IMA Marines currently in the IRR).
(1) Verify the AA Form accurately and appropriately documents all criteria listed in paragraph three of this message.
(2) Reject any request which does not satisfy all criteria in paragraph three.
(3) Complete a Career Retirement Credit Report (CRCR) Worksheet for valid requests.
c. MISSO 16/17
(1) Upon receipt of an approved request, adjust the Marine’s CRCR to add the points approved for awarding.
(2) Compile data to support the reporting requirements and timeline in paragraph five.
d. Detailed Submission Process
(1) Marine completes AA Form and submits to Parent Unit, OpSponsor or Supporting IPAC.
(2) Parent Unit, Op Sponsor or Supporting IPAC verifies the information in the AA Form is accurate and completes a CRCR Worksheet.
(3) Parent Unit, Op Sponsor or Supporting IPAC provides package (with completed CRCR Worksheet) back to Marine.
(4) Marine submits package (AA Form, CRCR Worksheet, RTAMMS DM source documents, etc.) to the first GO or senior executive service-equivalent via the chain of command.
(5) GO or senior executive service-equivalent adjudicates/approves requests for up to 29 points and provides written approval to the Marine’ Parent Command via the chain of command. If requesting 30-35 points, GO or senior executive service-equivalent endorses package to DASN MMP via Dir, RA (RAP-1)
(6) DASN MMP adjudicates and endorses the request and returns to the Marine’s Parent command via Dir, RA (RAP-1) and the chain of command.
(7) Marine’s Parent Command submits MOL Trouble Ticket to MISSO 16/17.
5. Reporting Requirements. Dir, RA (RAP-1) will submit an annual report to DASN MMP regarding the granting of retirement points pursuant to this MARADMIN by 15 October covering points awarded during each fiscal year occurring during the national emergency declared in reference (c). The initial report to be submitted by 15 October 2021 will include all points awarded to date, which may include points for fiscal years 2020 and 2021. Additionally, Dir, RA will submit a final comprehensive report no later than three months after the lifting of the national emergency declared in reference (c). Each report will provide the following information:
a. The number of individuals granted retirement points due to a training cancellation.
b. The number of individuals granted retirement points due to another extenuating circumstance.
c. The average amount of retirement points credited per individual.
d. The total number of retirement points credited.
6. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Reserve Component.
7. Release authorized by Major General H. G. Pratt, Director, Reserve Affairs Division.//