R 211711Z SEP 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
SUBJ/MCO 5800.16 CH 7 ANNOUNCING PUBLICATION OF THE REVISION TO VOLUME 4 OF THE MARINE CORPS LEGAL SUPPORT AND ADMINISTRATION MANUAL//
REF/A/DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC JA/26AUG21//
NARR/REF A IS THE LEGAL SUPPORT AND ADMINISTRATION MANUAL//
POC/1/COX, NATHAN H./MAJ/UNIT: UNIT: VLCO, HQMC JAD, WASHINGTON DC/-/TEL: (703) 693-6306/EMAIL: NATHAN.COX@USMC.MIL//
POC/2/LEE, YONG J./LTCOL/UNIT: VLCO, HQMC JAD, WASHINGTON DC/-/TEL: (703) 693-9524/EMAIL: YONG.LEE@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. The purpose of this message is to announce the publication of Change 7 to the Legal Support and Administration Manual, MCO 5800.16 (LSAM).
2. The Staff Judge Advocate to the Commandant of the Marine Corps authorized the publication of Change 7 to the LSAM on 26 August 2021. Change 7 to the LSAM became effective on the date signed.
3. The change to Volume 4 of the LSAM is comprehensive and extensive. The major changes are described below.
3.a. The roles and responsibilies of the Marine Corps Victims' Legal Counsel Organization (VLCO) and its personnel were revised, including the designation of the Chief Victims' Legal Counsel of the Marine Corps (CVLC of USMC) as the Officer in Charge of the VLCO and designation of the Deputy Officer in Charge, VLCO, as the Director of the Victims' Legal Counsel Assistance Program.
3.b. The eligibility for Victims' Legal Counsel (VLC) services was expanded to include victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, and other crimes under the Uniform Code of Military Justice as permitted by 10 U.S.C. §§ 1044, 1044e, and 1565b, the Manual of the Judge Advocate General (JAGINST 5800.7G (JAGMAN)), and pursuant to guidance published by the CVLC of USMC.
3.c. The scope of VLC services was expanded to include confidential counseling and other assistance, including the ability to participate in the Catch a Serial Offender (CATCH) program, the availability of protections offered by military protective orders and civilian restraining orders, and other rights or benefits provided to victims under military, state, and federal law or regulations.
4. This MARADMIN does not contain a detailed explanation of every change; therefore, a complete and thorough review of LSAM, Volume 4 should be completed. Full copies of Change 7 to the LSAM are available for download on the Marine Corps Publications website at: https:(slash)(slash)www.marines.mil/News/Publications/MCPEL/Electronic-Library-Display/Article/1447370/mco-580016-ch-7-wvol-1-17/.
5. This message is applicable to the total force.
6. Release authorized by Major General Gregg P. Olson, Staff Director of the Marine Corps.//