R 221309Z SEP 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
SUBJ/2021 GENERAL OFFICERS, SENIOR EXECUTIVE SERVICE MEMBERS, AND SERGEANTS MAJOR PARTICIPATION IN MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY BALLS//
NARR/REF A IS CMC GREEN LETTER 2-13, SENIOR OFFICIAL SPOUSAL TRAVEL. REF B IS SECNAVINST 5720.44C, DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY PUBLIC AFFAIRS POLICY AND REGULATIONS. REF C IS MCO 7040.11A, MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY BALL FUNDING. REF D IS DOD DIRECTIVE 4500.56, DOD POLICY ON THE USE OF GOVERNMENT AIRCRAFT AND AIR TRAVEL.//
POC/J. U. ARELLANO/ MAJ/DMCS/CMC WASHINGTON DC/TEL: 703-692-2829/E-MAIL: JESSICA.ARELLANO@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This MARADMIN provides guidance regarding travel of Marine Corps general officers (GO), Senior Executive Service members (SES), sergeants major (SgtsMaj), and any other Marines serving in an active duty capacity, to act as the guest of honor (GOH) or guest speaker for 2021 Marine Corps birthday ball celebrations per the references. This MARADMIN does not apply to GOH or guest speakers who are not employed by the government or are not serving in an active duty capacity.
2. Guidance. Due to the challenges of today’s fiscal and physical environment, the Marine Corps will minimize government funded travel for active duty GOHs to attend Marine Corps birthday ball ceremonies. Commands, units, or organizations requesting active duty GOHs to attend birthday balls should request appropriate representatives from the local area.
3. Approval. GOH travel outside the local area requires approval and determination of mission criticality from the Staff Director of the Marine Corps (SDMC).
3.a. Requests for GOHs from units/organizations which fall within the GOH's purview/command responsibilities (e.g., subordinate unit) do not require separate approval from SDMC.
3.b. Requests for GOHs to attend a ball in which a GO, SES member, or SgtMaj is already in attendance or a local GO, SES member, or SgtsMaj is available to attend as the GOH will not receive a favorable endorsement.
3.c. GOH travel eligibility will be determined using CDC’s community transmission levels of COVID-19 based on new cases per 100,000 persons in the past 7 days and limited to areas of low or moderate transmission rates. Requests to travel to areas with substantial or high transmission rates will not be considered nor endorsed. In order to determine destination community transmission rates, use the CDC website provided below and search by county.
3.c.1. Thresholds for community transmission:
Low: 1 to 9.99
Moderate: 10 to 49.99
Substantial: 50 to 99.99
High: greater than or equal to 100
3.c.2. CDC guidance and definitions of low, moderate, substantial, and high spread can be found at: https:(slash)(slash)www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/pdfs/mm7030e2-H.pdf. Data on levels of community transmission can be found at the CDC.
3.c.3. COVID Data Tracker website found at: https:(slash)(slash)covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/.
3.d. Professional stewardship of resources and force health protection extends to the use of support staff and transportation resources. As such, attendance approval for a GOH at an outside ball authorizes travel for the attending GOH and no other travelers. Requests for other travelers, to include aides, will not be considered nor endorsed.
4. Funding. HQMC will not fund GOs, SES members, SgtsMaj, or any other Marine to travel to balls.
4.a. Per ref (c), GOH travel will be funded with APF, from either the requesting unit's or the GOH's unit funds.
4.b. Requesting units may provide the GOH hotel rooms that were no cost to the government as long as the rooms were bargained for under the ball support contract (e.g., contract provides some hotel guest rooms at no charge for event).
4.c. Non-appropriated funds, including funds raised by the ball committee or unit fundraising, should not be used to pay for the travel costs of the GOH.
5. Spousal travel. Government funded spousal travel will not be considered nor endorsed during this ball season.
6. Gifts. Gift(s) for GOH/guest speakers should be nominal, e.g., under $10 or a non-gift such as a plaque. However, due to the varying relationships of individuals presenting/contributing and receiving, each gift offering should be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Units should consult with their local staff judge advocate regarding the appropriate ethics rules and regulations prior to offering and presenting any gifts to the GOH. Furthermore, GOH/guest speakers attending multiple balls should coordinate in advance with the units to minimize gift(s).
7. Requests. Requests for non-local GOHs to participate in a ball should be routed directly to the SDMC POC identified in this MARADMIN.
7.a. Requests can be made via e-mail or formal correspondence and must contain the following:
7.a.1. Unit hosting ball.
7.a.2. Date & location of ball.
7.a.3. State / Federal / country specific testing requirements for the ball location.
7.a.4. Identify travel restrictions to and from ball location.
7.a.5. Role of GO, SES member, or SgtsMaj at ball (e.g., GOH, guest speaker, attendee, etc) and reason for attending.
7.a.6. Identify all GOs, SES members, and SgtsMaj in attendance, and all local GOs, SES members, and SgtsMaj available but not attending.
7.a.7. Estimated TAD costs, how costs are to be funded, and by whom.
7.a.8. Detailed travel itinerary (e.g., departing 8 Nov via com air for arrival in Atlanta, GA, 9 Nov meeting with xyz IOT discuss xyx/conduct PME with xyz, evening of 9th attend ball, 10 Nov return to permanent duty station via com air).
7.a.9. Anticipated number of attendees.
8. Exceptions. Exceptions to this policy require approval from the ACMC via the SDMC.
9. Cancellation. This MARADMIN is canceled 31 December 2021.
10. Release authorized by Major General Gregg P. Olson, Staff Director of the Marine Corps.//