R 281730Z SEP 21
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC CDI WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/RESULTS OF THE MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS) FY21 STUDIES REVIEW BOARD #2 AND THE CALL FOR STUDIES FOR FY22 STUDIES REVIEW BOARD #1//
REF/A/MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CDI/R 101905Z MAY 21//
REF/B/DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/-/25SEP08//
NARR/REF A ANNOUNCED RESULTS OF THE MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS) FY21 STUDIES REVIEW BOARD #1 AND THE CALL FOR STUDIES FOR FY21 STUDIES REVIEW BOARD #2.
REF B IS MCO 3902.1E (DRAFT), MARINE CORPS STUDIES SYSTEM (MCSS)//
POC/TIM LINDSHIELD/MAJOR/OAD/-/TEL: 703-432-8343/EMAIL: TIMOTHY.D.LINDSHIELD@USMC.MIL//
POC/LISA R. WATTS/GS13/OAD/-/TEL: 703-784-8189/EMAIL: LISA.WATTS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Per reference (A), this message announces the results of the FY21 Studies Review Board (SRB) #2 and announces the FY22 SRB #1 call for studies.
2. Approved studies are categorized as Tier I or Tier II. Tier I nominations are those considered appropriate and meet the criteria provided in reference (A). These study nominations will be commenced as soon as possible. Tier II nominations are those found to be appropriate, but either cannot be executed with available resources and/or require further development (e.g., refinement of study scope).
3. The following study nominations are Tier I (sponsor in parentheses).
3.A. Impacts to Future Infantry Bn Training Timelines (DC, CD&I)
3.B. FY22 NCIP-MC Electronic Attack and Electronic Protect Study (DC, CD&I)
3.C. FY22 NCIP-MC Command and Control Study (DC, CD&I)
3.D. FY22 NCIP-MC Surface Warfare Munition Study (DC, CD&I)
3.E. FY22 NCIP-MC Undersea Warfare Study (DC, CD&I)
3.F. Analysis Support to MCWL 2022 (DC, CD&I)
3.G. Capabilities to Enable Maneuver of Expeditionary Forces in Littoral Operating Areas (DC, CD&I)
3.H. Recon/Counter-Recon Campaigning with Allies and Partners (DC, I)
3.I. Testing Different Promotion Board Models in Support of the CPG using Real Personnel Data (DC, M&RA)
3.J. USMC Officer Cohort Study (DC, M&RA)
3.K. Exploring Opportunity and Its Relationship with Marine Engagement (DC, M&RA)
3.L. Schedule-Based Analysis of Future Amphibious Ship Requirements (DC, PP&O)
3.M. AI / ML Natural Language Analysis of Recruiter Free Text to Predict Success or Failure of Recruits and ELT Marines (CG, MCRC)
3.N. Leveraging the Capabilities of a Redesigned USMC Force in Competition and Conflict beyond the Pacific Theater (CG, I MEF)
3.O. Analysis of Existing Manpower Policies That Support 1MAW Force Generation Capability (CG, III MEF)
3.P Posture and Prepositioning in the Pacific – Force Design Implications and the Maritime Prepositioning Force (CG, III MEF)
3.Q. Marine Corps Core Enterprise Data Centers Optimization / Consolidation Plan (CG, III MEF)
3.R. Assessment of Marine Corps Training Environment Fielding and Operational Effectiveness (CG, TECOM)
4. The following studies are Tier II:
4.A. Data Management / Governance for Enterprise Analytic Capabilities (DC, CD&I)
4.B. Autism Prevalence Rate and the Capacity to Support (DC, M&RA)
4.C. Defining USMC Air and Missile Defense Requirements to Enable Major Combat Operations (CG, II MEF)
4.D. Balancing Ground Supply Workforce Demands with Talent Management Challenges in the Future Force (CG, II MEF)
4.E. Littoral Maneuver and Mobility Platforms – Capabilities, Mission Sets, Manning, Training and Naval Integration (CG, III MEF)
4.F. Health Service Support Logistics in the Fleet Marine Force (CG, III MEF)
5. The Operations Analysis Directorate (OAD) study lead appointed to oversee each accepted study will contact the agency POC as provided in the study nomination to prepare for study execution. Those study nominations not listed above were declined for execution. POCs for declined study nominations will be contacted via email. For all questions regarding the study nomination process email: OAD_Studies@usmc.mil.
6. This message also announces the MCSS Call for Studies for the FY22 SRB #1 and solicits nominations for relevant and impactful studies. The nomination period is the date this message is published through 11 January 2022, which will be the deadline for submitting a nomination. Nominations received after the deadline will not be considered until after the Studies Review Board. If any Department submits multiple study nominations, each nomination must be ranked to indicate the priorities of the Department. Each study must be sponsored by a senior official (Colonel or GS-15, or above). Studies may be cosponsored by different commands or organizations, as appropriate.
6.A. Nominations may be submitted at any time; however, pending specific coordination and prioritization, studies will be held for review until the next SRB.
6.B. Study nominations related to direction and guidance contained in the 38th Commandant’s Planning Guidance and the Force Design 2030 annual updates will be given precedence over all others. Specifically, priority will be given to study nominations in the areas of force design, education and training, and talent management.
6.C. Study nominations are to be submitted digitally at the OAD IntelShare portal: https:(slash)(slash)intelshare.intelink.gov/sites/OAD/SitePages/Submit Study Nomination.aspx. If you do not have an Intelink account, you can create one at the Intelink homepage: https:(slash)(slash)intelink.gov. For technical difficulties related to the portal, please email: OAD_Studies@usmc.mil.
7. Assistance and consultation in shaping study nominations is available from OAD_Studies@usmc.mil. To obtain additional information regarding OAD study nomination submissions, please visit http:(slash)(slash)www.mccdc.marines.mil/Units/OAD/Marine-Corps-Study-System.aspx.
8. Questions regarding the MCSS process may be directed to OAD email: OAD_Studies@usmc.mil.
9. Release authorized by Lieutenant General Eric M. Smith, Deputy Commandant for Combat Development and Integration.//