R 241645Z JAN 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/IMPROVED AWARDS PROCESSING SYSTEM (IAPS) UPDATES//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/SECNAV/29 MAY 2019//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/SECNAV/16 AUG 2019//
NARR/REF A IS SECNAVINST 1650.1J, DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY MILITARY AWARDS POLICY. REF B IS SECNAV M-1650.1, NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AWARDS MANUAL.//
POC/A. K. CHAVEZ/CAPT/MMMA/HQMC/TEL: 703-784-9342/ EMAIL: AMANDA.K.CHAVEZ@USMC.MIL/EMAIL: SMB_HQMC_PERS_AWARDS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The purpose of this MARADMIN is to announce updates to the Improved Awards Processing System (iAPS) that were implemented 18 January 2022 to support the processing and recording of personal military decorations (PMDs) and commendatory correspondence.
2. Currently, only PMDs as defined in reference (b) are processed via iAPS. Other special recognition is submitted by the member or member’s command to the servicing personnel administration center for entry into the official military personnel file (OMPF) and Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS). Other special recognition includes Certificates of Commendation, Meritorious Masts, Certificates of Appreciation, and Letters of Appreciation.
3. iAPS has been updated to incorporate the processing of Certificates of Commendation, Meritorious Masts, Certificates of Appreciation, and Letters of Appreciation. This enhancement creates a more efficient way for inclusion into Marines’ OMPFs and records in MCTFS, alleviating the need for Marines to submit through their servicing personnel administrative centers. This update will reduce the administrative burden on unit administrators and personnel administration centers (PACs).
4. Certificates of Commendation and Meritorious Masts.
4.a. Certificates of Commendation and Meritorious Masts will be originated and approved in iAPS. The “create award” tab has been updated to reflect, and templates are provided in iAPS.
5. Certificates and Letters of Appreciation.
5.a. Certificates and Letters of Appreciation will be submitted in iAPS by clicking on the “create award” tab and following the steps to upload and submit. Members are authorized to submit their own Certificates/Letters of Appreciation for forwarding to OMPF/MCTFS.
6. To avoid duplications in personnel records, the below guidance is provided for Certificates of Commendation, Meritorious Masts, Certificates of Appreciation, and Letters of Appreciation that were approved outside of iAPS.
6a. If the award has not been reported in MCTFS, and it is not in the OMPF, submit the award in iAPS.
6b. If the award is not in MCTFS, but is in the OMPF, submit the award via EPAR to the servicing PAC.
6c. If the award is not in the OMPF, but is in MCTFS, submit the award via email to MMRP (firstname.lastname@example.org).
7. For additional guidance, refer to the MMMA official website: https:(slash)(slash)www.manpower.usmc.mil/webcenter/portal/MMMA.
8. Questions pertaining to awards processing shall be addressed to the service member’s G-1/S-1 unit administration office. G-1/S-1 offices that require clarification on the guidance provided in this message are to contact the POC identified above.
9. Release authorized by MajGen Michael J. Borgschulte, Director, Manpower Management Division.//