R 251303Z FEB 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MF//
SUBJ/UPDATED REQUIREMENTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF SERVICEMEMBERS' GROUP LIFE INSURANCE (SGLI) ONLINE ENROLLMENT SYSTEM (SOES)//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/MARADMIN 220/18/YMD: 20180417//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/MARADMIN 139/19/YMD: 20190306//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/SOES DODI 1341.14/YMD: 20170119//
REF/D/MSGID: DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/YMD: 20100219//
NARR/REF A IS MARADMIN 220/18, IMPLEMENTATION OF THE SERVICEMEMBERS GROUP LIFE INSURANCE (SGLI) ONLINE ENROLLMENT SYSTEM (SOES). REF B IS MARADMIN 139/19, UPDATED GUIDANCE ON IMPLEMENTATION OF SERVICEMEMBERS' GROUP LIFE INSURANCE (SGLI) ONLINE ENROLLMENT SYSTEM (SOES). REF C IS DODI 1341.14, THE SERVICEMEMBERS’ GROUP LIFE INSURANCE (SGLI) ON-LINE ENROLLMENT SYSTEM (SOES). REF D IS MCO 1741.8, THE MARINE CORPS GOVERNMENT LIFE INSURANCE MANUAL.//
POC/G. CASTLE/GS-13/UNIT: MFPC/-/TEL: 703-784-9512.//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN contains updated requirements and guidance previously published in references (a) and (b). The Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI) Online Enrollment System (SOES) was implemented across the Marine Corps on 1 May 2018 with a one-year initial election requirement. Commanders were previously directed to ensure 100% compliance as of 30 April 2019. As of the date of this MARADMIN, less than 60% of Marines have made an initial election in SOES.
2. Commanders shall ensure ALL Marines who have not made an election in SOES make an election and “Confirm and Certify” before exiting SOES, to ensure SGLI beneficiary designations are stored in the system. As required by reference (a), Commanders shall ensure their Marines make an election in SOES upon the following occasions (but no later than 1 April 2022):
2.a. Joining the unit,
2.b. Review/update of the Record of Emergency Data (RED),
2.d. At the request of the Marine,
2.e. Upon request for accelerated benefits,
2.f. Prior to deployment,
2.g. Upon activation/mobilization or permanent change of station and prior to appellate leave or separation. Until this initial election is made, no existing SGLI beneficiary designations are captured in SOES, thereby creating possible delays in processing SGLI claims or erroneous designation of beneficiaries. Election certifications are also required by personnel who made an election prior to the SOES implementation using the paper SGLV 8286 form, as the migration requires re-certification within SOES. Members are strongly encouraged to update/re-certify their elections if more than two years have passed since their last certification in SOES.
3. Marines may access SOES at https:(slash)(slash)milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/, sign in, and go to ‘Manage my SGLI’. Marines may log in with their CAC or with their DS Logon and then ensure SGLI coverage and beneficiaries are up-to-date. Some users have experienced issues when accessing MilConnect via Internet Explorer; users are encouraged to utilize an alternate internet browser. User guides are available on the right side of the page to address any questions. Modifications that may be made include:
3.a. Increase, reduce or cancel SGLI and FSGLI coverage.
3.b. Add a beneficiary or edit SGLI beneficiary information.
3.c. View, save, print or email a SGLI Coverage Certificate.
4. By exception, newly accessed Marines and those who are experiencing emergent situations shall continue to utilize the SGLV 8286 and the Spouse Coverage Election and Certificate (SGLV 8286A) to manage their SGLI and FSGLI coverage respectively until such time SOES becomes accessible to the Marine. Reserve Marines with part-time SGLI coverage shall also continue to utilize the SGLV 8286.
5. SOES requires military members who are married to another service member to have their marital status properly updated in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). Impacted Marines whose marital status has not been updated in DEERS will not be able to make a SOES election and will not have Family SGLI until such time it is correct in the DEERS database.
6. Commands are directed to establish procedures to ensure maximum compliance is attained and maintained at all times. This requirement shall be inspected during inspections utilizing the Casualty 3040 Functional Area Checklist. New join audits do not meet the criteria for updating SOES, as only the Record of Emergency Data (RED) is updated. Best practices for monitoring SOES compliance include pulling reports:
6.a. Pull reports using Command Profile under ‘Administration’ > ‘SOES Certification Status’ for the selected unit. The ‘VA Certification Date’ must be after 1 May 2018 and the ‘TRF APPL’ column must indicate ‘SOES’ for the election certification to be valid.
6.b. Pull reports using the Marine OnLine Analytics Tool under ‘Team Content’ > ‘ODSE User Reports’ > ‘MISSO 09’ > ‘SOES Status Report’. Ensure the report is copied local content, then modified for the unit being reviewed. The ‘Last Certified Date Time’ column shall read after 1 May 2018 for election certifications to be valid.
6.c. Contact MFPC at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a SOES report via RUC. Reports shall not be requested more than quarterly.
7. The DMDC Support Center (DSC) shall provide support for MilConnect, DS Logon issues, and technical issues such as when the site is down or not responding. The DSC can be reached at 1-800-477-8227.
8. SGLI policy questions may be directed to Mr. Gerald Castle, Head, Casualty Section, email@example.com, Tele: (703) 784-9512. SGLI process questions may be directed to Mr. Maurice Gordon, Sect, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tele: (703) 432-9176.
9. Release authorized by LtGen David A. Ottignon, Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//