R 111446Z MAY 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP//
SUBJ/CHANGE 5 TO THE CAREER INTERMISSION PROGRAM (CIP)//
REF/D/MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP/232125ZAUG13//
REF/E/MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP/222032ZAPR14//
REF/F/MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP/281455ZOCT15//
REF/G/MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP/122215ZDEC16//
REF/H/MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM/031942ZAPR19//
NARR/REF A IS U.S. CODE TITLE 10. REF B IS DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE (DOD) INSTRUCTION 1327.07 CAREER INTERMISSION PROGRAM (CIP) FOR SERVICE MEMBERS. REF C IS THE FY22 NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT. REF D IS MARADMIN 418/13, CAREER INTERMISSION PILOT PROGRAM. REF E IS MARADMIN 212/14, UPDATE TO THE CAREER INTERMISSION PILOT PROGRAM (CIPP). REF F IS MARADMIN 543/15, CHANGE 2 TO THE CAREER INTERMISSION PILOT PROGRAM (CIPP). REF G IS MARADMIN 649/16, CHANGE 3 TO THE CAREER INTERMISSION PROGRAM (CIP). REF H IS MARADMIN 216/19, CHANGE 4 TO THE CAREER INTERMISSION PROGRAM (CIP).//
NARR/POC/A. M. PINCUS/MAJ/DC MRA/MP/MPP-30/TEL: 703-784-9364//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This MARADMIN announces changes to the Marine Corps Career Intermission Program (CIP).
2. Background. Section 710 of reference (a), in conjunction with reference (b), authorizes the Secretaries of the military departments to implement a CIP under which officers and enlisted service members may be temporarily released from active service with a corresponding appointment or enlistment in the individual ready reserve (IRR).
3. Change in obligated service requirement. In accordance with Section 521 of reference (c), all CIP participants whose CIP requests were approved on or after 27 December 2021 will be obligated to serve one month of active service for each month of intermission. All CIP participants whose CIP requests were approved prior to 27 December 2021 are still obligated to serve two months of active service for each month of intermission.
3.a. Section 505 of reference (a) defines the minimum reenlistment length as two years in the case of service members with less than 10 years of service in the armed forces. Any enlisted Marine who participates in the CIP will be required to reenlist in the active component for a period of not less than two years following their intermission period.
3.a.1. Example: Gunnery Sergeant Smith applies to participate in the CIP for one year and is approved. At the time of his transfer to the IRR, Gunnery Sergeant Smith has six months remaining on his current enlistment. When Gunnery Sergeant Smith executes a reenlistment into the active component, he has 18 months of obligated service (one year of post-CIP obligated service and six months remaining on his previous enlistment), however, he is required to reenlist for not less than two years in accordance with Section 505 of reference (a).
4. Separation program designators (SPD). Officers who participate in the CIP will receive an SPD of "FGS1" upon their transfer to the IRR. Enlisted Marines who participate in the CIP will receive an SPD of "MGS1" upon their transfer to the IRR.
5. Eligibility requirements and application procedures remain the same per references (d-h).
6. Reserve applicability. This MARADMIN is not applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.
7. Approved for release by BGen A. T. Williamson, Director, Manpower Plans and Policy Division, Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//