R 291445Z JUN 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CG TECOM QUANTICO VA//
SUBJ/AVAILABILITY OF MARINE CORPS DOCTRINAL PUBLICATION 8, INFORMATION//
REF/A/CMC DECISION PAPER/23 JUNE 2020//
REF/B/MCDP 8 INFORMATION/21 JUNE 2022//
NARR/REF (A) IS THE COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS DECISION PAPER FORMALLY TASKING THE DEPUTY COMMANDANT FOR INFORMATION (DC I) TO AUTHORMARINE CORPS DOCTRINAL PUBLICATION 8, INFORMATION. REF (B) IS COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS’ FOREWORD TO THE MARINE CORPS DOCTRINAL PUBLICATION 8, INFORMATION DATED 21 JUNE 2022. REF (C) IS MARINE CORPS PRINTING, PUBLISHING, AND REPROGRAPHICS EQUIPMENT REGULATIONS//
POC/E. SCHANER/CIV/DC I/IMD/TEL: COMM (703) 692-9618/EMAIL: ERIC.SCHANER@USMC.MIL//
POC/A. JANNERETH/CIV/TECOM/PSD/DB/TEL: COMM (703) 432-8493/EMAIL: ADAM.L.JANNERETH@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The Commandant of the Marine Corps approved Marine Corps Doctrinal Publication (MCDP) 8, Information, dated 21 June 2022. MCDP 8 is available via the:
1.A. United States Marine Corps doctrine website at https:(slash)(slash)usmc.sharepoint-mil.us/:b:/s/MCEN_Support_MCDoctrine/EWPupSo9D2tBrOtRjg5SWVMBORTsNtl4RctoNh3iq8oUGQ?e=DNIJ5j
1.B. Marine Corps Publications Electronic Library at https:(slash)(slash)www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publications/MCDP%208.pdf?ver=6gIvEcD0CUuPAgTSmyDNag%3d%3d
2. Background. Per reference (a), the Commandant of the Marine Corps directed the DC I to author MCDP 8, Information. MCDP 8 is the Marine Corps’ capstone doctrine to describe the information warfighting function. It establishes a starting point for Marines to understand the role of information on every point of the competition continuum and to more effectively plan and conduct operations in any warfighting domain to create and exploit information advantages.
3. Purpose. Information is central to our rivals’ way of competition and warfare; therefore, information must be a focus of ours. Information was established as a Marine Corps warfighting function to provide Marines with a framework to think about, understand, and leverage the pervasive nature of information, its military utility, and its applicability across the range of military operations. The information warfighting function provides Marines the ability to integrate the generation, preservation, denial, and projection of information while leveraging the inherent informational aspects of all military activities to achieve objectives, attain desired end states and information advantage, and impose our will over an opponent. An information advantage is an exploitable condition resulting from one actor’s ability to generate, preserve, deny, or project information more effectively than another.
4. Scope. Per reference (b), all Marines should read MCDP 8 from cover to cover. Because information is pervasive throughout all warfighting domains, is the business of commanders, and is an essential source of advantage or disadvantage, all Marines must develop an understanding of the foundational and enduring principles of the information warfighting function.
5. Coordinating Instructions.
5.a. DC I representatives will conduct roadshow briefings to answer questions about MCDP 8 applicability. The intent is to visit all interested commands and organizations across the Fleet Marine Forces; Service Component Commands; Headquarters, United States Marine Corps Deputy Commandants; and supporting establishment. Scheduling visits will be conducted via separate correspondence.
5.b. Units requiring print allocations must follow procedures identified in reference (a), paragraphs 4.a.(2).(a).(2).(b) and 4.(a).(2).(a).(c). Marine Corps Publication Distribution System Publication Control Numbers (PCNs), Limited Dissemination Control (LDC), and managers are:
5.b.1. MCDP 8, Information
5.b.1.a. PCN: 142 000018 00
5.b.1.b. LDC: NONE – Publicly Releasable AFTER review.
5.b.1.c. Manager: Policy and Standards Division
5.b.1.d. NOTE: Printing and distribution of MCDP 8 hard copies is underway. Units requiring additional print allocations must follow procedures identified in reference (C), paragraphs 4.a.2.a.2.b and
6. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
7. Release authorized by Lieutenant General Kevin M. Iiams, Commanding General, Training and Education Command.//