R 121800Z JUL 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2024 (FY24) HEADQUARTERS MARINE CORPS SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT VOLUNTEER PERIOD (SDAVP)//
REF/B/MSGID: MSG/CMC MMEA-1/12APR22//
REF/C/MSGID: MSG/CMC MPP/3FEB22//
REF/D/MSGID: MSG/CMC MCRC/8JUN22//
NARR/REF A IS MCO 1326.6, SELECTING, SCREENING, AND PREPARING ENLISTED MARINES FOR SCREENABLE BILLETS AND INDEPENDENT DUTY ASSIGNMENTS (SCREENMAN). REF B IS MARADMIN 185/22, FY23 ENLISTED RETENTION CAMPAIGN. REF C IS MARADMIN 039/22, SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT PAY, ASSIGNMENT INCENTIVE PAY, AND VOLUNTEER SUPPLEMENTAL INCENTIVE. REF D IS MARADMIN 289/22, FISCAL YEAR 2024 RECRUITING STATION PREFERENCE INCENTIVE FOR RECRUITING DUTY SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT VOLUNTEERS//
POC/C. J. DIPPEL/MAJ/MMEA-25/TEL: 703-432-9472/EMAIL: CHRISTOPHER.DIPPEL@USMC.MIL//
POC/T. J. HUSAR/CAPT/MMEA-25/TEL: 703-784-9335/EMAIL: TYLER.J.HUSAR@USMC.MIL//
POC/S. W. DAVIS/GYSGT/SDA RETENTION CHIEF/TEL: 703-432-9745/EMAIL: STEVE.W.DAVIS@USMC.MIL//
POC/M. M. MAHOVICH/GYSGT/RECRUITING MONITOR/TEL: 703-432-9474/EMAIL: MATTHEW.MAHOVICH@USMC.MIL//
POC/B. M. HUND/GYSGT/DRILL INSTRUCTOR MONITOR/TEL: 703-432-9472/EMAIL: BRANDON.HUND@USMC.MIL//
POC/J. A. GOODSON/GYSGT/MSG MONITOR/TEL: 703-432-9476/EMAIL: JAMES.A.GOODSON@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This message announces the Fiscal Year (FY) 2024 Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC) Special Duty Assignment Volunteer Period (SDAVP) and provides coordinating instructions for requesting billets as a Recruiter, Drill Instructor, or Marine Security Guard Detachment Commander. During the SDAVP, qualified volunteers will be given an opportunity to request first priority assignment to billets in FY24 Special Duty Assignment classes.
2. Background. A successful SDA tour is a hallmark of a competitive Marine and makes him or her exceptionally qualified for promotion. In addition to opportunities for SNCO meritorious promotions, financial incentives, and duty station preferences, an SDA tour is intellectually rewarding and physically and mentally challenging. In order to give volunteers the first opportunity to submit for FY24 SDA billets, HQMC is conducting a volunteer submission period, immediately preceding the involuntary screening and assignment period via the HQMC SDA Screening Team (HSST).
3. Situation. The FY 2024 volunteer period will begin on 1 July 2022 and close on 29 June 2023. From the publication date of this MARADMIN to 28 February 2023, HQMC will accept and review volunteer packages for potential assignment to an SDA of the Marine’s choice. Upon conclusion of the FY24 SDAVP, HQMC will continue to accept and screen volunteers; however, volunteers will no longer have priority for assignment and may be restricted by Primary MOS requirements. The screening and involuntary assignment of the remaining USMC population of qualified applicants will begin immediately after FY24 SDAVP via the FY24 HSST.
4. Execution. During the FY24 SDAVP, HQMC will accept volunteers from all MOSs.
4.a. Marines with more than 6 months Time On Station (TOS) in the geographical location may be eligible to volunteer and are encouraged to contact their career planners for more information.
4.b. Marines who have executed a lateral move into their present MOS are not eligible to submit for voluntary assignment unless they have completed a minimum of 36 months in that MOS prior to class start date.
4.c. Marines who have previously completed an SDA are eligible to serve on a second tour. Marines must have been in the Fleet Marine Forces for a minimum of 24 months prior to their class start date.
4.d. Marines who wish to volunteer for assignment to an SDA must submit an “SDA RELM” using the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) to HQMC with the assistance of the unit career planner.
4.e. Career planners should include a comment in the RELM about the Marine’s preference.
5. Based on the SDA, all assigned FY24 SDA volunteers may receive up to $653 per month while serving on the duty, or may receive up to a $17,000 lump sum payment in conjunction with $150 per month while serving on the duty. Details regarding financial incentives for volunteers will be published via separate correspondence. Volunteers seeking assignment to Recruiting Duty will be eligible to apply for a recruiting station of their choice via the Recruiting Station Incentive (RSI) program pending recruiting station (RS) availability, as outlined in Reference D (MARADMIN 289/22).
6. Questions regarding the FY24 SDAVP should be referred to POCs listed above.
7. Release authorized by MGen Michael J. Borgschulte, Director, Manpower Management Division.//