R 081939Z AUG 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 23-1 ACTIVE RESERVE PROGRAM OFFICER ACCESSION AND CAREER DESIGNATION BOARDS//
REF/A/DOC/MCO 1001.52K/YMD: 20190215//
REF/B/DOC/MCO 1610.7A/YMD: 20180501//
REF/C/MSGID: MSG/CMC MRA/252010Z AUG 20//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS THE MANAGEMENT OF THE ACTIVE RESERVE (AR) SUPPORT TO THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE (USMCR). REFERENCE (B) IS THE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION SYSTEM (SHORT TITLE: PES). REFERENCE (C) IS THE REMOVAL OF PHOTOGRAPHS FROM CONSIDERATION BY PROMOTION BOARDS AND SELECTION PROCESSES PERTAINING TO ASSIGNMENT, TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND COMMAND//
POC/ROBERT D. FRYE/MAJ/RAM-2/TEL: 703-784-0531/DSN: 278-0531/EMAIL: ROBERT.FRYE@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Reserve Affairs will convene the Fiscal Year 23-1 Active Reserve (AR) Officer Accession and Career Designation Boards on 24 October 2022.
2. Unrestricted Officer Accession Board
a. The AR Program provides well-trained and experienced Reserve Component (RC) officers to integrate the United States Marine Corps Reserve (USMCR) into the Total Force Marine Corps. The AR Program is structured to facilitate the mobilization of Reserve Forces by administering policy, conducting training, instruction, recruitment, and performing other functions as required by reference (a).
b. Officers selected to join the AR Program will fill a variety of global billets in support of the RC.
c. Initial orders will be 36 months in duration, with the option to submit for career designation after a period of 540 days of observed Fitness Reports have been recorded. The process for applying for career designation is described in Paragraph 3. Officers interested in applying must complete an application and submit via online survey using the following website: www.manpower.usmc.mil/application.
d. Eligibility Criteria
(1) Applicants must meet all qualifications listed on pages 2-2 through 2-4 of reference (a).
(2) Active Component (AC) and RC first lieutenants through majors who will have completed required service obligations (commission, minimum time on station, payback tours, etc.) by 30 September 2023 and who have less than 15 years of cumulative active duty service are eligible to apply.
(3) RC officers commissioned via the Reserve Officer Commissioning Program (ROCP) are only eligible to apply if they are within 180 days of their Mandatory Drill Participation Stop Date (MDPSD) at the time the board convenes.
(4) AC and RC majors promoted on or after 1 January 2020 are eligible to apply.
(5) AC and RC aviators who have accepted a bonus incentive and have completed associated service obligations by 30 September 2023 are eligible to apply.
(6) AC officers who are not in receipt of Permanent Change of Station Orders (PCSO) are eligible to apply.
e. AC officers will be screened for a Reserve Commission upon application.
f. The AR Program currently maintains the following unrestricted officer MOSs: 0102, 0302, 0402, 0477, 0505, 0602, 1302, 3002, 3404, 6002, 6602, 72XX, 7509, 7523, 7532, 7557, 7563, 7565, 7566, 8840 and 8844. AR Program need within the above MOSs is fluid, and specific MOS shortfalls will be prioritized prior to the board convene date.
g. Applicants with MOSs not listed in paragraph 2.f. are eligible to apply but will be considered for MOS reclassification.
h. The AR Program maintains 8840 and 8844 officers. Officers having received those MOSs from Naval Post Graduate School or via other means may receive additional consideration on the accession board. Officers with the 8840 or 8844 MOS should annotate this qualification as part of their application.
i. Accession Board Application Process
(1) The application process includes completing the application package, obtaining command endorsement, and submitting the application package NLT 2359 on 23 September 2022 via the Manpower & Reserve Affairs application website.
(a) Complete the application package identified under the “Active Reserve Officer Accession Package Templates” webpage found at: www.manpower.usmc.mil/webcenter/portal/RAM2/pages_officeraccessions2 Required documents are annotated on the enclosures section of the application template.
(b) Obtain endorsement of application package from the first O5/O6 commander in current chain of command. Officers serving in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) or currently attending resident PME do not require an O5/O6 endorsement. Officers with unusual circumstances should contact RAM-2 for guidance.
(c) Complete application survey and submit the completed application package by 2359 on 23 September 2022 via the web portal at www.manpower.usmc.mil/application. All uploaded documents must be in portable document format (PDF).
(2) Officers who have previously applied must submit a new application.
(3) Reserve applicants only. The board will be provided a current Career Retirement Credit Report (CRCR). Reserve officers are encouraged to review their CRCRs for accuracy, completion, and certification within the previous 12 months.
j. Board Results. Officers selected for accession will be notified via MARADMIN. Those officers selected as alternates will be notified via separate correspondence.
k. Accession timelines will be coordinated between RAM-2 and officers selected for accession. A standard accession tour is 36 months.
l. RC officers serving on a previous set of orders for greater than 30 continuous days may elect to carry over any unused leave balance. AC officers electing a seamless transition between the AC and the AR (no break in active duty service) will not be permitted to sell back accrued leave. AC officers electing to sell back leave must have a minimum of a 24 hour break in active duty service. Leave sell back election must be made via NAVMC 11060 prior to current End of Active Service (EAS) date.
m. Officers who have received or are receiving involuntary or voluntary separations pay may be subject to recoupment by the U.S. Government upon accession.
3. Competitive Career Designation
a. Competitive career designation offers an opportunity for unrestricted AR officers to continue service in the AR Program beyond their accession tour. Officers will be considered for career designation on the first career designation board held after receiving 540 days of observed Fitness Reports for continued service in the AR Program. Officers selected for career designation will be assigned an indefinite EAS.
b. The board will consider Fitness Reports submitted through 1 October 2022 towards the 540 days of required observation.
c. Officers with an EAS not supporting an opportunity for career designation due to non-observed Fitness Reports must request an EAS extension from RAM-2 via Administrative Action Form.
d. Officers not selected for career designation will be released from the AR Program upon EAS. Officers with an EAS that allows for additional career designation boards will be considered on those boards if they apply.
e. Career Designation Application Process: The application process includes completing the application package, obtaining command endorsement, and submitting the application package NLT 2359 on 23 September 2022 via the Manpower & Reserve Affairs application website.
(1) Complete the application package identified under the “Active Reserve Officer Career Designation” webpage found at: www.manpower.usmc.mil/webcenter/portal/RAM2/pages_page1. Required documents are annotated on the enclosure portion of the template.
(2) Obtain endorsement of application package from the first O5/O6 commander in current chain of command. Officers serving in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) or currently attending resident PME do not require an O5/O6 endorsement. Officers with unusual circumstances should contact RAM-2 for guidance.
(3) Complete application survey and submit the completed application package by 2359 on 23 September 2022 via the web portal at www.manpower.usmc.mil/application. All uploaded documents must be in portable document format (PDF).
f. Career designation incurs a 24-month obligation from the first day of the month following the date of acceptance. Officers who decline career designation will be separated on their EAS date.
4. Officers are responsible for ensuring completion of Fitness Reports as required by reference (b).
5. Officers are encouraged to request a career counseling for review of the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) and Master Brief Sheet. To request counseling services, send an email to SMB_MANPOWER_CAC@usmc.mil with name, EDIPI, contact information, and service requested.
6. Waivers to eligibility requirements set forth in this MARADMIN or reference (a) will be considered at the discretion of the Director of Reserve Affairs Division on a case-by-case basis.
7. Release authorized by Major General M. S. Martin, Director, Reserve Affairs Division.//