R 131640Z SEP 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2023 (FY23) SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) ENLISTED AFFILIATION BONUS (EAB)//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/TITLE 37 U.S.C.//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/DODI 1304.31/YMD: 20201105//
REF/D/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1001R.1L/YMD: 20151223//
REF/E/MSGID: DOC/NAVMC 1200.1G/YMD: 20220531//
REF/F/MSGID: DOC/MARADMIN 279/20/YMD: 20200506//
REF/G/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1040R.31/YMD: 20200626//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS U.S.C. TITLE 37, CHAPTER 5, SECTION 308C. REFERENCE (B) IS DODI 1304.31 ENLISTED BONUS PROGRAM. REFERENCE (C) IS THE MARINE CORPS TOTAL FORCE SYSTEM PERSONNEL REPORTING INSTRUCTIONS USER MANUAL. REFERENCE (D) IS THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (E) IS THE MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTIES MANUAL. REFERENCE (F) IS THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE ACTIVE COMPONENT (AC) TO SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) DIRECT AFFILIATION PROGRAM (DAP). REFERENCE (G) IS THE RESERVE CAREER RETENTION AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL.//
POC/ B. M. OGDEN/MAJ/UNIT: RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)784-9143/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/R. D. NOYES/MGYSGT/RA (RA)/TEL: (703)784-0583/EMAIL: RA-RETENTION@USMC.MIL//
POC/P. BORGES/MSGT/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)784-0580/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/V. D. HODGE, JR/GYSGT/RA (RAM)/TEL: (703)432-9077/EMAIL: RAM-1@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. Per the references, this MARADMIN announces the FY23 SMCR Enlisted Affiliation Bonus (EAB). The EAB is for corporals and sergeants who are affiliated with, or agree to join an SMCR unit. Marines must serve in a valid Billet Identification Code (BIC) commensurate with grade and primary military occupational specialty (PMOS) or necessary military occupational specialty (NMOS) per the current Reserve Affairs (RA) BIC Assignment and Management Policy.
2. EAB Lump Sum Amount and Obligation. 15,000 dollar incentive for Marines agreeing to affiliate with a SMCR unit. Marines must meet the basic eligibility requirements of this MARADMIN and agree to obligate to a SMCR unit for a period of three years commencing the date they join the SMCR unit.
3. Eligibility. The Marines must meet the following criteria:
a. Corporals with the following MOS are eligible for the EAB (LM denotes eligible MOSs available in conjunction with a lateral move (LATMOV)):
0111, LM 0211, 0231, LM 0241, 0261, LM 0311, LM 0313, LM 0317, LM 0321, LM 0331, LM 0341, 0352, 0372, 0411, LM 0431, 0451, 0471, 0481, 0511, LM 0532, 0621, 0631, 0671, 0811, 0842, 0844, 0847, 0861, 1142, LM 1161, 1171, 1316, 1341, 1345, 1361, 1371, 1391, LM 1721, 1833, 2111, LM 2141, 2147, 2171, 2311, LM 2621, LM 2631, 2651, 2847, 2887, 3043, 3051, 3112, LM 3152, 3381, 3521, 3531, 4421, 5711, 5811, 5939, 5948, 5951, LM 5952, 5953, 5974, 5979, 6042, 6046, 6132, 6173, 6174, 6216, 6276, 6286, 6423, 6672, 6842, 7051, LM 7236, LM 7242, and 7257.
b. Sergeants with the following MOS are eligible for the EAB (LM denotes eligible MOSs available in conjunction with a LATMOV):
0111, LM 0211, LM 0241, LM 0311, LM 0313, LM 0317, LM 0321, LM 0331, LM 0341, 0372, 0411, LM 0431, 0451, 0471, 0481, 0511, LM 0532, 0621, 0627, 0631, 0671, 0811, 0842, 0844, 1141, 1142, LM 1161, 1171, 1316, 1341, 1345, 1361, 1371, 1391, LM 1721, 1833, 2111, 2131, LM 2141, 2147, 2171, 2311, 2336, LM 2631, 2651, 2831, 2841, 2847, 2871, 2874, 2887, 3043, 3051, 3112, LM 3152, 3381, 3521, 3531, 5711, 5811, LM 5821, 5939, 5974, 5979, 6123, 6132, 6153, 6154, LM 6156, 6173, 6216, 6276, 6286, 6316, 6317, 6323, 6326, 6336, 6337, 6423, 6499, 6531, 6694, 6842, 7011, 7051, LM 7236, LM 7242, and 7257.
c. Contractual obligation. Marines must gain the required contractual service (RECC) via reenlistment or extension in accordance with reference (g). Marines requesting the EAB in accordance with paragraph 2 will be required to obtain three years of contractual service (RECC) beginning the date they affiliate with the SMCR. Marines may be authorized extensions of enlistment to meet the obligation service requirement. Extensions for this purpose will be authorized on a case by case basis.
d. Marines must serve in a valid BIC commensurate with grade and PMOS or NMOS per the current RA BIC Assignment and Management Policy. Marines in PMOS 0211, 0241, 1171, 1391, 1721, 2171, 2874, 5821, 5951, 5979, 6173, and 6256 are authorized to fill one billet grade lower.
e. Marines requesting a LATMOV in conjunction must complete the required PMOS or NMOS training in the current FY (e).
f. Marines must have less than 10 satisfactory years of military service on the date of EAB acceptance.
(1) Sergeants requesting the EAB must have less than 10 satisfactory years of service on the date RA approves the incentive.
(2) Corporals are authorized to serve up to, but not exceed 9 satisfactory years in order to receive this incentive. Enlisted Career Force Control waivers are not required for up to 9 satisfactory years of service.
g. Marines who have failed selection to the next higher grade in the SMCR, or have been reduced in rank to their current grade are not eligible.
h. Marines who previously received an affiliation bonus in the Selected Reserve (SelRes) are not eligible.
i. Marines who were subject to non-judicial punishment in the last 12 months are not eligible.
j. Marines must not be entitled to receive retired or retainer pay.
k. Corporals and sergeants in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) can affiliate with a SMCR unit per paragraph one and request this incentive through a PSR. Marines must meet the following criteria:
(1) Released from the AC or the SelRes under honorable conditions.
(2) Meet the conditions listed per paragraphs 3a through 3m of this message.
4. Administrative Guidance
a. Submissions. PSRs will submit incentive requests for Marines in the IRR. Unit Career Planners (CPs) and PSRs will submit incentive requests for AC Marines applying for the Direct Affiliation Program. Unit CPs will submit incentive requests for Marines in the SMCR.
b. All requests for the EAB must be submitted via the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) to RA. Request for the FY23 EAB will not be approved before 1 October 2022.
c. A signed statement of understanding (SOU) must be submitted with the TFRS request prior to issuance of a bonus.
(1) SOUs are found in the forms section of TFRS.
(2) A valid SOU will contain the Marine’s name and EDIPI, unit information, BIC information, PMOS/NMOS, and appropriate signatures. If the SOU is missing any required data it will be returned to the appropriate unit for corrective action.
d. RA will adjudicate and return the request via TFRS to the originator.
e. Waiver requests will be submitted to Reserve Affairs Personnel Policy, Plans, and Programming and Budgeting (RA (RAP)) as an attachment to the TFRS request. Waiver requests submitted from CPs will include the member's chain of command endorsement up to the first O-5 level commander (battalion/squadron). Waiver requests submitted from the PSR will include endorsement from the PSR OIC. RA (RAP) will approve/disapprove waiver requests in the adjudication process of the TFRS request.
f. Bonus requests must be received by RA no later than 15 September 2023.
g. Marines in receipt of the EAB are required to waive the reasonable commuting distance requirement (if applicable) per reference (d). Inactive Duty Training (IDT) travel reimbursement will be offered to corporals and sergeants by MOS as published via a separate MARADMIN.
h. Marines who fail to accept the EAB by the no later than date on the TFRS authority or as stated in 3c, whichever is earlier, forfeit their incentive eligibility.
5. LATMOV in conjunction with the EAB
a. This incentive can be accepted in conjunction with the SMCR LATMOV program and may be requested concurrently.
b. Marines assigned to the EAB program must complete MOS training in accordance with reference (e) in the current FY to remain eligible for the incentive. Training completed outside the current FY will be considered on a case by case basis. Marines that fail to meet the LATMOV program requirements may be placed in an excess BIC or involuntarily transferred to the IRR.
c. If a LATMOV is necessary, payment of the incentive will not be received until MOS training is complete. RA will report the basic and intended MOS and the correct BIC assigned in IDMS by the SMCR unit/site support prior to the Marine attending training in MCTFS.
d. The MOS training requirements will not be waived.
e. The FY23 SMCR LATMOV program information is provided via separate correspondence.
a. Recipients of this incentive will incur a one, two, or three-year drilling obligation from acceptance of the EAB, date of affiliation with the SMCR unit, MDPSD, or completion of MOS retraining, whichever is later.
b. Recipients must serve in a valid BIC for the entire period of obligated service in the MOS and unit for which the bonus was approved.
a. Recoupment will occur at a prorated amount if the Marine:
(1) Fails to fulfill the obligation;
(2) Fails to participate satisfactorily;
(3) Executes an Inter-Unit Transfer (IUT) to a non-designated primary military occupation skill (8014) or LATMOV without prior written approval from RA (RAP);
(4) Transfers to the IRR;
(5) Performs active duty operational support (ADOS) or voluntary mobilization with a unit other than their own for a period greater than 90 cumulative days per fiscal year without prior written approval from Marine Forces Reserve (MARFORRES). MARFORRES shall notify RA (RAP) of this waiver prior to the execution of ADOS;
(6) Augments to the AC;
(7) Transfers to the IMA Program except as stated in 7b(3) below.
b. Recoupment will not occur if the Marine:
(1) Is required to involuntarily transfer to the IRR due to a unit deactivation, resignation, disability, or being twice passed for promotion;
(2) Is commissioned or accepts an appointment to warrant officer in the SelRes and has served at least one year of the incentive service obligation.
(3) Joins the IMA upon unit deactivation or redesignation as a result of Force Design, Base Realignment and Closure actions.
8. Marines not completing their service obligation without prior written approval of RA (RAP) shall be reviewed by Commander, MARFORRES (COMMARFORRES) for administrative separation from the Marine Corps per the SOU. Requests for early release or deferment of the service obligation shall be submitted to COMMARFORRES. Recoupment will still apply for service members approved for Inter-Service Transfer or the Prior Service Enlistment Program.
9. Due to finite funds, incentives will be issued on a first come, first served basis.
10. This incentive is available for service in SMCR units only.
11. This MARADMIN cancels on 30 September 2023.
12. Release authorized by Major General M. S. Martin, Director, Reserve Affairs Division.//