R 161200Z SEP 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) LATERAL MOVE (LATMOV), CAREER PROGRESSION MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY (MOS) AND MOS PROFICIENCY TRAINING PROGRAMS//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC LTR/YMD: 20151216//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/TECOM MSG/YMD: 20151130//
REF/C/MSGID: MSG/MARADMIN/279/20/YMD: 20200506//
REF/D/MSGID: DOC/NAVMC 1200.1G/YMD: 20210512//
REF/E/MSGID: MSG/MARADMIN/493/14/YMD: 20140930//
REF/F/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1001R.1L/YMD: 20180315//
REF/G/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1040R.31/YMD: 20200626//
REF/H/MSGID: MSG/MARADMIN/621/18/YMD: 20181029//
REF/I/MSGID: AMHS/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA RAM/ 291619Z JAN 19//
REF/J/MSGID: DOC/BILLET IDENTIFICATION CODE (BIC) DC MRA RA/ 20210512 NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS FRAGMENTARY ORDER FOUR (IMPLEMENTATION) TO MARINE CORPS FORCE INTEGRATION CAMPAIGN PLAN. REFERENCE (B) IS TECOM AMHS MESSAGE, IMPLEMENTATION OF MOS PHYSICAL SCREENING PREREQUISITES IN SUPPORT OF MOS CLASSIFICATION AND SELECTION. REFERENCE (C) ANNOUNCES THE ACTIVE COMPONENT TO SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE OR INDIVIDUAL MOBILIZATION AUGMENTEE DIRECT AFFILIATION PROGRAM. REFERENCE (D) IS THE MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTIES MANUAL. REFERENCE (E) IS THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF CHANGE TO ASSIGNMENT POLICY FOR PRIMARY MOS 0803, 0842, 0847, 2110, 2131, 2141, 2146, 2147, 2149, 7204, AND 7212. REFERENCE (F) IS THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT MANUAL (MCRAMM). REFERENCE (G) IS THE RESERVE CAREER RETENTION AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (H) IS THE POLICY CLARIFICATION TO THE SERVICE OBLIGATION FOR RESERVE MARINES ATTENDING TRAINING. REFERENCE (I) IS THE RESERVE MOS TRAINING LATERAL MOVE MROWS/DTS ORDERS PROCESSING AND SUBMISSION GUIDELINES. REFERENCE (J) IS THE DRILLING RESERVE BILLET IDENTIFICATION CODE ASSIGNMENT AND MANAGEMENT POLICY.//
POC/B. M. OGDEN/MAJ/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703) 784-9143/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/K. A. HARMON/CAPT/RA (RAM - ROCP)/TEL: (703) 784-0537/EMAIL: KRISTOPHER.HARMON@USMC.MIL//
POC/R. D. NOYES/MGYSGT/RA /TEL: 703) 784-0583/EMAIL: RA-RETENTION@USMC.MIL//
POC/P. BORGES/MSGT/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703) 784-0581/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/RETENTION, INCENTIVES, AND TRAINING (RIT) SECTION/RA (RAM)/TEL: (703) 784-9136/EMAIL:RAM-1@USMC.MIL
POC/J. M. PAPIS/CIV/MFR (G-3/5)/TEL: (504) 697-7375/EMAIL: JOHN.PAPIS@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The intent of the Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) Lateral Move (LatMov) and Career Progression Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) programs is to balance officer and enlisted MOS inventories and to provide reserve unit commanders with properly trained Marines in order to accomplish their assigned missions.
2. MOS Classification Standard (MCS). In accordance with references (a) and (b), all Reserve Marines requesting a LatMov into a ground combat arms MOS must meet the MCS. Marines who transfer from the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) and request a LatMov into a ground combat arms MOS will receive approval to join the unit (if eligible), but Marines must meet the MCS requirement prior to registering for a school seat.
3. Submission procedures will be published in separate correspondence via a Total Force Retention System (TFRS) message.
4. Lateral Move Eligibility
a. Marines must affiliate with or be a current member of an SMCR unit.
b. Active Component (AC) Marines or Active Reserve (AR) Marines released from active duty or if applying for the Direct Affiliation Program (DAP), are eligible in accordance with reference (c).
c. IRR Marines released from the AC or Selected Reserve (SelRes) under honorable conditions are eligible.
d. Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) Marines affiliating with an SMCR unit are eligible.
e. Rank. Enlisted Marines in the rank of lance corporal through sergeant and officers in the rank of first lieutenant or captain are eligible for LatMov. Reserve Affairs, Reserve Affairs Personnel Policy, Plans, and Programming and Budgeting Branch (RA (RAP)) will open LatMov opportunities to other ranks based upon necessity (e.g., force structure changes). The following are existing exceptions:
(1) Staff sergeants and staff sergeants select applying for 0211, 0231, 0241, and 1721 MOS retraining.
(2) Majors who have been approved for 0530 or the 7502 Free MOS (FMOS).
(3) Officers approved for aviation transition/conversion training.
f. Sergeants must have no more than two (2) years time in grade (TIG) on the date of TFRS submission. RA (RAP) may waive this requirement on a case by case basis.
g. Staff sergeants and sergeants applying for the 0211 or 0241 MOS are exempt from TIG requirements.
h. Captains who are in-zone for major are eligible, however, require verification by RA (RAP) prior to approval.
i. Marines must meet the prerequisites for the Initial MOS (IMOS) per reference (d).
j. Lance corporals and corporals must possess a minimum Command Input Marks in Character, MOS and Mission Accomplishment, and Leadership of 2.0/2.0/2.0.
k. Current SMCR unit members must be in or requesting to fill a BIC for which they are not MOS qualified. Requests for Marines already considered a match for an open BIC without retraining will be considered on a case-by-case basis. These require justification bythe battalion/squadron commander.
l. The requested unit must have an open BIC per the Inventory Development and Management System (IDMS). Once the LatMov is approved, the gaining unit should submit the Marine to fill the approved BIC in IDMS.
m. Marines must have no unexcused absences within the last 12 months.
n. Marines must not be currently assigned to the Body Composition Program or Military Appearance Program.
o. Physical Fitness Test (PFT)/Combat Fitness Test (CFT). Marines must have passed the PFT and CFT within the last 12 months if the Marine is currently a member of the SelRes or active duty. If currently a member of the IRR, a Marine must pass a PFT and/or CFT within 90 days of affiliation, if required per reference (e). Failure to meet the performance standards within 90 days of affiliation will result in a program disqualification and transfer to IRR.
p. Marines requesting a LatMov to a Combat Arms MOS must have a current Physical Fitness Test (PFT) and Combat Fitness Test (CFT) in the Marine Corps Total Forces System (MCTFS) that meet the MCS’s minimum requirements prior to attending their assigned course. The minimum requirements for the MCS are as follows: 6 pull-ups, 24:51 3-mile run, 60 ammo-can lifts (2 minutes), 3:26 Movement to Contact, and 3:12 Maneuver Under Fire.
q. Marines must not have received a reduction in grade to their current grade.
r. Marines must not be in receipt of an enlistment or affiliation bonus. This requirement is waived for Marines in units affected by Force Design or CMC directed force structure changes.
s. Marines must not be a previous recipient of funding for a previous LatMov within the previous three (3) years. Marines completing retraining, and/or career progession training within the previous three (3) years will be considered on a case by case basis.
t. Marines will be required to sign a distance waiver if outside the normal commuting distance per reference (f).
u. Marines will be required to obtain up to three (3) years contractual time in order to fulfill required service obligation.
5. Career Progression and NMOS
a. Necessary MOS (NMOS) training. In accordance with reference (d), the following NMOSs are eligible for training: 0239, 0271, 0303, 0307, 0317, 0623, 0633, 0691, 0814, 1342, 1392, 2832, 3524, 3534, 3536, 6033, 6043, 6049, 8621, and 8641. Marines must already have the requisite PMOS to receive NMOS training per reference (d) and fill a valid Billet Identification Code (BIC) in accordance with the current fiscal year Headquarters Marine Corps drilling reserve BIC assignment and management policy or be slated for the appropriate BIC. RA (RAP) will approve requests for PMOS and subsequent NMOS training on a case by case basis. RA (RAP) will approve requests for other NMOSs on a case by case basis. Marines must be able to complete all required training without a break between schools. MARFORRES (G-3/5) will approve all other requests for proficiency and enhancement training.
b. Career progression MOS training. In accordance with reference (d), the following PMOSs require career progression training: 0202, 0363, 0369, 0393, 0491, 0629, 0639, 0679, 0681, 0848, 0869, 1169, 1349, 1799, 2149, 2181, 2336, 2621, 2629, 2631, 2862, 2874, 2891, 3529, 3537, 5769, 5821, and 5831. Requests for other career progression MOSs will be approved on a case by case basis by RA (RAP).
(1) Must meet the conditions listed per paragraph 4n and 4q through 4s.
(2) SMCR unit members must be filling or requesting to fill a BMOS/NMOS BIC for which they are not currently qualified. The requested unit must have an open BIC per the Inventory Development and Management System (IDMS).
a. Marines cannot exceed the satisfactory year requirements for their respective grade on the date active duty for training (ADT) begins. The below restrictions ensure the required contractual obligation for training will not take the Marine beyond service limits for grade in accordance with reference (g).
(1) Lance Corporals: less than five (5) satisfactory years.
(2) Corporals: less than five (5) satisfactory years.
(3) Sergeants: less than 10 satisfactory years.
(4) Staff Sergeants: less than 14 satisfactory years.
b. Sergeants and above who are in-zone, above-zone, or have failed selection for promotion in the SMCR are not eligible for lateral move.
c. Captains who are in the above zone or have failed selection 3for promotion to Major while in the unrestricted Reserve competitive category are not eligible for retraining.
d. Reserve Officer Commissioning Program (ROCP) Officers in their initial obligated service, except for officers affected by 1802 divestitures.
e. RA (RAP) will not approve a LatMov into the following:
(1) Infantry Officer (MOS 0302).
(2) Intelligence Officers. LatMov requests into the 0204/0206/0207 MOSs will be evaluated on a case by case basis by RA (RAP) in collaboration with U.S. Marine Corps Intelligence Department. Requests must contain a favorable endorsement from the gaining unit commander to be considered. LatMoves into the 0202/0203 MOSs will not be approved.
(3) Judge Advocate (MOS 4401/4402).
(4) Air Control/Air Support/Antiair Warfare/Air Traffic Control (all 72xx MOSs).
(5) Pilots/Naval Flight Officers (MOS 75XX).
f. Marines approved for the LatMov program may be dropped for the following reasons:
(1) Selection to staff sergeant, gunnery sergeant, or major (except as indicated in the approved MOS).
(2) Failure to affiliate with the intended unit within 30 days of the approved retraining request.
(3) Failure to attend scheduled training:
(a) Within 12 months of joining the unit.
(b) Without processing a reschedule request with MFR G3.
(4) Failure to complete training due to disciplinary action or academic failure.
(5) Transfer to the IRR prior to the convening date of the scheduled course.
(6) Execution of an Inter-Unit Transfer (IUT) to an IMA billet, IUT to a non-designated primary military occupation skill (8014) without approval from RA (RAP).
(7) Failure to meet required physical standards.
(8) IRR Marines not having met the performance standards within 90 days of affiliation.
g. SMCR Marines who are dropped from the LatMov program must be realigned to a valid Billet Identification Code (BIC) per the current Reserve Affairs (RA) BIC assignment and management policy within 60 days.
h. Marines subject to a nonjudicial punishment in the last 12 months.
i. Marines affiliating with Marine Aviation Training Support Group 42 and Aviation Command and Control Team are ineligible for these programs.
7. Contractual drilling obligation
a. Marines approved for a LatMov, career progression, or MOS proficiency training will incur additional obligated service and an adjustment to their Mandatory Drill Participation Stop Date (MDPSD) per reference (h).
b. The unit administration section must submit the MOS school certificate of completion to (RA (RAM)) at email: RAMemail@example.com.
c. Marines who LatMov into the 0211 MOS will incur a 60 month service obligation. The 60 months service obligation refers to total contractual time in the Ready Reserve (SelRes or IRR).
8. Coordinating Instructions
a. Marines are not authorized to transfer to the IRR after completion of training under this program without approval from RA (RAP).
b. All requests for IUT must include an endorsement from Commander, Marine Forces Reserve.
c. All requests will be considered based on the needs of the Marine Corps and approved on a first come/first served based on available funding.
d. SMCR Marines are not required to change units in order to apply for the LatMov, career progression and NMOS programs if a vacancy exists at their current unit.
e. Aviators requiring transition/conversion are retrained via the Transition/Conversion program released via separate correspondence.
f. Marines who are currently in the IRR that request a lateral move through a Prior Service Recruiter, will be screened for eligibility. If the Marine meets all requirements, the lateral move request will be approved with maximum allowable contract time not to exceed service limits without a school seat. Upon joining the SMCR Unit, the Marine will need to coordinate with the unit training chief to submit a request for school.
g. RA (RAM) will enter the IMOS into the Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS) for each approved LatMov request upon the Marine’s acceptance and subsequent reporting of the reenlistment extension in MCTFS.
h. LatMov requests requiring IUT should be submitted simultaneously in TFRS and IDMS. The LatMov request must be approved first before MARFORRES G-1 can approve the IUT.
i. SMCR company-grade officer LatMovs will be screened and reviewed by RAM-1 and managed by the ROCP in order to prioritize limited school seat availability.
9. Submissions for LatMov or career progression will be submitted to RAM-1 via TFRS.
10. Upon LatMov or career progression approval, a training request form along with RA TFRS Approval will be submitted via email to MFR G3 at MFRFORMALSCHOOLS@USMC.MIL for school seat registration.
11. The parameters established in this MARADMIN will be reviewed annually for update. Until a new policy is established, this policy will remain in effect.
12. Release authorized by Major General M. S. Martin, Director, Reserve Affairs Division.//