R 161518Z SEP 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC/CMC MRA MF WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/HQMC SEMPER FIT SEEKS APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2022 MALE AND FEMALE ATHLETES OF THE YEAR//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/DODI 1330.04/YMD:20220720//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/YMD:20150511//
NARR/REF A IS DOD INSTRUCTION 1330.04, ARMED FORCES PARTICIPATION IN NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL SPORTS ACTIVITIES. REF B IS MCO 1650.39B COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS COMBINED AWARDS PROGRAM//
POC/KARI HEMUND/CIV/UNIT: MFS/TEL: 703-784-1233/-/EMAIL:KARI.HEMUND@USMC-MCCS.ORG//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Background. Reference (a) establishes Department of Defense policy directing the Secretaries of the Military Departments to develop comprehensive sports programs that provide the opportunity for qualified Service Members to prepare for and compete in authorized competitions on a voluntary basis. Reference (b) establishes the Commandant’s Combined Awards Program under which the Marine Corps recognizes the Service’s Male and Female Athletes of the Year.
2. Nomination Process. Any active duty Marine may submit an application for Athlete of the Year. The application form can be found at https:(slash)(slash)usmc-mccs/org/services/fitness/all-marine-sports/. Email completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Nominations include a professional biography encompassing the nominee’s calendar year accomplishments in the sport and professional (USMC) background. The applicant’s commanding officer (O5 level Command or higher) must endorse the application.
4.a. Athletic: Marines demonstrating athletic excellence in intramural, varsity, All-Marine, national, and international competitions are considered. Competitions must comply with amateur regulations within nationally recognized governing bodies (e.g., USA Track and Field) or affiliated organizations (e.g., Amateur Athletic Union) within the United States Olympic Committee.
Professional sports participation will not be considered per reference (a).
4.b. Standards and requirements: Marines in good standing and meet all required Marine Corps standards are considered.
5. All submissions are due to Headquarters Marine Corps Semper Fit and Recreation no later than 6 January 2023. The selection of 2022 Male and Female Athletes of the Year will be announced on the usmc (dash)mccs(dot)org website no later than 31 March 2023. Athletes will be recognized at the Commandant’s Combined Awards Ceremony held at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia on a date to be determined.
6. This MARADMIN is cancelled on 30 April 2023.
7. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Active Component.
8. Release authorized by SES M. R. Strobl, Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Acting.//