R 031900Z OCT 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP//
SUBJ/TEMPORARY INCREASE TO 2022 BASIC ALLOWANCE FOR HOUSING RATES IN CERTAIN LOCATIONS//
AMPN/REF A IS THE TAKING CARE OF OUR SERVICE MEMBERS AND FAMILIES MEMORANDUM APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY OF DEFENSE.//
POC/C. V. GRUBB/CIV/MPO/EMAIL: MPO@USMC.MIL/TEL: DSN 278-9386//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To announce the 2022 temporary basic allowance for housing (BAH) increases for Marines authorized a housing allowance in 28 military housing areas (MHA) from 1 October 2022 to 31 December 2022.
2. Background. Per reference (a), the Secretary of Defense has approved temporary BAH rate increases for 28 MHAs that experienced an average increase of 20 percent or more in rental housing costs.
3. Payment period. The payment period for the temporary BAH increase is from 1 October 2022 through 31 December 2022.
4. Eligibility. Marines will automatically be in receipt of a temporary increase in BAH rate if they meet the following criteria:
4.a On active duty for more than 30 consecutive days during the payment period,
4.b Entitled to basic pay and BAH with or without dependent rate,
4.c Assigned to a permanent duty station (PDS) in one of the specified MHAs.
5. Coordinating instructions.
5.a Duration. Once a Marine has been identified as eligible for the temporary increase in BAH rate, eligibility continues through 31 December 2022 or discharge from active duty, whichever occurs earlier. The Marine must continue to reside at the residence location approved for temporary BAH increase to continue receiving it. Any change in residency outside a MHA will change eligibility for the temporary BAH increase.
5.b BAH at dependent location. In some instances, a Marine’s BAH rate is based on his/her dependent location rather than the Marine’s permanent duty station (PDS) (e.g. designated place in United States, advanced travel of dependents, or delayed dependent travel). If dependent location is in a specified MHA the Marine will automatically receive the temporary BAH increase.
5.c BAH at previous PDS. In some instances, a Marine’s BAH rate is based on the previous PDS, such as when a low cost (close proximity) move was executed to the current PDS. If the previous PDS is in a specified MHA, the Marine will automatically receive the temporary BAH increase.
5.d Dual military couples. Dual military couples are eligible for temporary BAH increase. Couples residing in separate households at different physical locations in a specified MHA will automatically receive the temporary BAH increase.
6. Situations that determine Marines are not eligible for BAH rate increase are as follows:
6.a Marines not on active duty.
6.b Marines who are not authorized BAH in a specified MHA.
6.c Marines residing in military government housing or the barracks.
7. Admin Procedures. There is no requirement to submit an application for the temporary BAH increase. Marines entitled to BAH in one of the 28 MHAs will see the increase in their pay beginning with the 14 October 2022 payday.
8. Temporary BAH increases are not rate protected. They will expire on 31 December 2022 and be replaced by the 2023 BAH rates which are effective 1 January 2023. It is possible that effective 1 January 2023, Marines may be in receipt of a higher or lower BAH rate than the temporary BAH increase rate.
9. Specified MHAs. The following 28 MHAs are authorized a temporary increase in BAH. CA026 (Vandenberg AFB, CA), CA032 (Twenty-Nine Palms, MCB, CA), CA038 (San Diego, CA), DE054 (Dover AFB, Rehoboth, DE), FL059 (Patrick AFB, FL), FL061 (Miami/Fort Lauderdale, FL), FL062 (Orlando, FL), FL067 (West Palm Beach, FL), FL070 (Volusia County, FL), FL424 (Ft Myers Bch, FL), GA074 (Kings Bay/Brunswick, GA), HI407 (Maui County, HI), IL325 (Chicago), MA120 (Boston, MA), MA124 (Cape Cod-Plymouth, MA), MA151 (Martha’s Vineyard, MA), ME136 (Brunswick, ME), ME141 (Costal Maine, ME), MO163 (Fort Leonard Wood, MO), MT347 (Helena, MT), NC186 (Wilmington, NC), NJ202 (Northern, New Jersey), RI256 (Newport, RI), RI257 (Providence, RI), SC258 (Beaufort/Parris Island, SC), TN267 (Knoxville, TN), TX282 (Houston, TX), VA296 (Quantico/Woodbridge, VA).
10. A full list of the 28 MHAs impacted and frequently asked questions can be found at https:(slash)(slash)www.travel.dod.mil/Allowances/Basic-Allowance-for-Housing/BAH-Rate-Lookup/. It is important to note that if your MHA is not listed, you are not eligible for a BAH increase. Marines are encouraged to review the BAH rate charts as rates vary within MHAs (i.e. some ranks may not see an increase).
11. This MARADMIN will remain in effect until superseded or canceled, whichever occurs first. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
12. Release authorized by BGen A. T. Williamson, Director, Manpower Plans & Policy Division.//