R 141730Z NOV 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP//
SUBJ/FY23 LATERAL MOVE PROGRAM FOR MARINE OFFICERS//
NARR/REFERENCE (REF) A IS MCO 1210.9A LATERAL MOVE (LM) PROGRAMS FOR MARINE CORPS OFFICERS. REF B IS MCO 1300.8 MARINE CORPS PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENT POLICY. REF C IS MARADMIN 255/22 ANNOUNCEMENT OF FISCAL YEAR 2022 OFFICER RETENTION BOARD NUMBER 2 (RETURN TO ACTIVE DUTY, CAREER DESIGNATION, INTER-SERVICE TRANSFER, REDESIGNATION).//
POC/A. D. BICKNELL/CAPT/DC MRA/MP/MPP-30/TEL: 703-784-9365//
POC/J. L. GOSS/MAJ/DC MRA/MM/MMOA-3/TEL: 703-784-9284//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This MARADMIN publishes the projected Fiscal Year 2023 (FY23) status of the officer MOSs available for lateral move consideration in accordance with the references. FY23 lateral move applications will be accepted up to 30 September 2023.
2. Unrestricted Officers. Eligibility requirements for lateral moves are as follows:
a. Unrestricted officers in the grades of captain through lieutenant colonel, to include captain selects.
(1) Non-career designated captains and captain selects will not be considered unless they are scheduled to screen for career designation on the FY23 Officer Retention Board (ORB) Number 2 in August 2023. Refer to Ref (c) for general information, eligibility criteria, timelines, etc., information that will be updated on the forthcoming FY23 ORB Number 2 MARADMIN.
(2) Lieutenant colonels and majors will be considered qualified for a lateral move if they have appropriate previous experience in the Primary Military Occupational Specialty (PMOS) they are requesting or by exception only. PMOS qualification will be screened by HQMC (MMOA) and the gaining Occupational Field (OccFld) manager.
b. Officers who are slated for command as a result of the command screening board are not eligible.
c. Officers in joint billets are eligible if they will have completed 24 months in their assignment by 1 July 2023.
d. Officers in Commandant’s Career-Level Education Board (CCLEB) and Commandant’s Professional Intermediate-Level Education Board (CPIB) utilization tours are eligible if they will have completed their 36-month utilization tour by 1 July 2023.
e. Officers in the above zone for promotion are not eligible unless selected for the next higher grade.
f. By 1 July 2023, officers must meet the minimum time on station requirement per Ref (b).
3. Current and forecasted inventory health determine the PMOSs eligible for Marines to lateral move.
a. Unrestricted officers holding the following PMOSs are eligible to apply for lateral move into the PMOSs listed in paragraph 3.b (read in two columns):
0302 Infantry Officer
1302 Combat Engineer Officer
1802 Tank Officer
1803 Assault Amphibious Vehicle Officer
5803 Military Police Officer
6002 Aircraft Maintenance Officer
6602 Aviation Supply Officer
7588 Electronic Countermeasures Officer
b. The following PMOS options are currently available for lateral move application from the PMOSs listed in paragraph 3.a (read in two columns):
0102 Manpower Officer
0202 Intelligence Officer
0402 Logistics Officer
0602 Communications Officer
1702 Cyberspace Warfare Officer
3002 Ground Supply Officer
c. Lateral moves to or from PMOSs not listed in paragraphs 3.a and 3.b will only be considered on a case-by-case basis in accordance with Talent Management 2030 and will be approved at the discretion of Director, Manpower Management.
d. Changes will be published via separate MARADMIN if additional solicitation of lateral moves within FY23 is necessary.
e. Lateral moves to new PMOSs incur a 36-month service obligation upon awarding of the new PMOS, with the exception of PMOS 1702.
f. Officers approved for lateral move into PMOS 1702 will incur a 72-month service obligation upon completion of the PMOS school and awarding of the PMOS designator 1702.
g. Officers who fail to complete the required PMOS school will be reassigned in their PMOS held at the time of application or at the discretion of DC, M&RA.
4. Restricted Officers. Restricted officers who meet the eligibility requirements outlined in Ref (a) may apply for Lateral Move.
5. Lateral move applications must be submitted via the NAVMC 10274 Administrative Action (AA) request form. Applications must be endorsed by the first O6 (or O5, as appropriate, i.e., independent battalions within a Division) in the applicant’s chain of command.
Refer to the MMOA-3 POC listed above for application examples.
a. All lateral move applications shall include the following:
(1) At least one but no more than three letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant’s leadership, technical skills and abilities, and overall performance.
(2) A personal statement in naval letter format explaining why the officer desires to lateral move into the requested PMOS. The applicant will reference any unique experiences relevant to the gaining PMOS.
b. Lateral move applications to PMOS 0202 must submit a signed statement from their Special Security Office (SSO) attesting to the current security clearance level and date of adjudication, to include eligibility for TS/SCI.
c. Lateral move applications to PMOS 1702 must include the following as listed in paragraphs 5.c.(1) through 5.c.(3) below:
(1) Applicant’s experience, if any, with programming languages, hardware and/or network experience, and/or any technical or cyber-related experience or training.
(2) Applicant’s unofficial transcripts for all undergraduate, graduate, and any technical industry related certifications (A+ Certification for computer service technicians (CompTIA A+), Network+ (Net+), Security+ (Sec+), Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), etc.).
(3) PMOS 1702 applicants must be eligible for a TS/SCI clearance and preference will be for applicants who already have a fully adjudicated TS/SCI clearance. To verify this, applicants must provide a letter of SCI eligibility from HQMC SSO (firstname.lastname@example.org); a letter from their local SSO is not sufficient. Applicants will also be required to pass a counter-intelligence polygraph dependent on duty station assignment.
6. Approval of a lateral move request is subject to multiple determining factors for any particular MOS. Officers are highly encouraged to contact their current PMOS monitor prior to lateral move application. Officers may also contact a career counselor (MMRP) prior to submission of a request to evaluate the career impact of a lateral move.
7. Upon receipt of the lateral move application, MMOA-3 will staff the package with the appropriate stakeholders and prepare the package for decision.
8. Lateral move decisions will be communicated to the Marine via separate correspondence, usually within 90-120 days of receipt at MMOA-3. Officers approved for lateral move will execute orders to the next available PMOS school or as directed by MMOA.
9. This MARADMIN is not applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.
10. This MARADMIN cancels on 30 September 2023.
11. Release authorized by LtGen James F. Glynn, Deputy Commandant, Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//