R 211830Z NOV 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC I WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/ACADEMIC YEAR 2023 NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE UNIVERSITY (NIU) RESERVE COMPONENT MASTERS DEGREE PROGRAMS//
POC/M. KRALOVEC/LTCOL/UNIT: CMC I WASHINGTON DC/EMAIL: MATTHEW.T.KRALOVEC@NIU.ODNI.GOV//
POC/B. DAVIDSON/MAJ/UNIT: CMC I WASHINGTON DC/TEL: 703-604-3649/EMAIL: HQMC_DCI_RLO@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. This message solicits applications for the Reserve component National Intelligence University (NIU) Masters Degree Programs for Academic Year (AY) 2023. All nomination packages are due to HQMC/INTEL no later than 27 Feb 2023.
2. Background. The progression of classes in the degree programs is designed to allow USMCR students to complete all required course work and thesis in two years. Marines accepted into the program attend classes in-person at NIU, 4600 Sangamore Rd Bethesda, MD 20816, one weekend per month for 22 months plus two, two-week periods of annual training. Classes convene August 2023 for Academic Year (AY) 2023.
3. Execution. These graduate degree programs are open to IMA, SMCR, and IRR reserve component Marines. Active-duty candidates pending reserve affiliation will be considered as long as their timelines for reserve affiliation timelines will allow for joining to the IMA detachment and matriculation into the academic program in the fall academic year.
3.A. A selection panel convened by the USMCR NIU Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) Detachment Faculty will review applications. The panel will provide an endorsement to the Deputy Commandant for Information (DCI) for the applicants most qualified to attend the MSSI/MSTI Program for Reserves as a member of the NIU IMA detachment. The panel does not make admission decisions for NIU and applicants must apply and be accepted into NIU’s Monthly Executive MSSI/MSTI in order to join the NIU IMA Detachment.
3.B. Prerequisites for NIU IMA Detachment:
3.B.1. Acceptance by NIU into the Monthly Executive MSSI/MSTI program. Those waitlisted by NIU will not be considered.
3.B.2. Grade: 1stLt to Maj, CWO2 to CWO3, SSgt to GySgt.
3.B.3. MOS: Open to any MOS, however, preference will be given to Marines in the following priorities: Intelligence, Cyberspace, and Communications military occupational specialties.
3.B.4. Experience: Minimum five years intelligence, cyber or communications experience through either military and/or civilian occupations.
3.B.5. Service: Candidates must have had four satisfactory years (50 points minimum each year) during the last five years.
3.B.6. Officers must not have failed selection for promotion to the next higher grade and majors must have less than four years time-in-grade.
3.B.7. Staff Non-Commissioned Officers must be eligible for re-enlistment and have two years remaining on contract after graduation.
3.B.8. Officers and SNCOs must agree to remain in an intelligence billet in the reserves (IMA detachment or SMCR unit) for three years following graduation.
3.B.9. Applicants must meet Marine Corps height and weight standards per MCO 6110.3A.
3.B.10. Possess a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
3.B.11. Possess (at the time the candidate submits his/her application) a Top Secret clearance and be eligible for access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI). Application for this program is an insufficient justification to request initial processing for a TS/SCI clearance.
4. Applications. Applicants must submit an application package to both NIU and DCI, as outlined below:
4.A. NLT 27 February 2023, apply to either the MSSI or MSTI program via the procedures outlined at https:(slash)(slash)ni-u.edu/wp/admissions/. Questions about the university admissions process, requirements, or application status must be addressed directly with the NIU Office of Admissions at NIUAdmit@dodiis.mil.
4.B. NLT 10 March 2023, coordinate with the DCI POC and alternate POC listed above to deliver the documents below via a method approved for PII (DOD SAFE, https:(slash)(slash)safe.apps.mil, is preferred).
4.B.1. An application for the programs can be downloaded from the HQMC/Intel department website at http:(slash)(slash)www.hqmc.marines.mil/intelligence/Intel-OPS-PERS/Educational-Programs/.
4.B.2. An unclassified statement of purpose, typed, double spaced, 12pt font, should be no longer than 8 pages, explaining why you want to attend NIU by briefly describing your qualifications, academic experience, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests that may aid the admissions committee in evaluating aptitude and motivation for pursuing a degree.
4.B.3. Current Reserve Qualification Summary (RQS).
4.B.4. Current civilian resume.
4.B.5. A favorable endorsement from the applicant's command (IMA detachment or SMCR), IRR Marines should obtain this endorsement from the Marine Corps Individual Reserve Support Activity (MCIRSA).
5. Marines selected to join the DCI IMA Detachment (RUC 88600) must be transferred NLT 1 August 2023.
5.A. Selectees will not be transferred to the IMA Detachment until a confirmation from the NIU of the selectee’s admission to the NIU and security clearance is confirmed.
5.B. Attendance at NIU 12 weekends over a 10-month academic year is required and will be considered normal drill periods.
5.C. Attendees will be required to perform active duty training at NIU for 12 days each summer for two consecutive academic years.
5.D. NIU students will also be required to complete all Marine Corps annual training requirements.
5.E. Drill attendance sheets, orders requests, and other administrative requirements associated with this duty will be processed by DCI.
5.F. Applicants located outside the National Capitol Region should familiarize themselves with which travel expenses are reimbursable for IMA IDT and AT, and plan accordingly.
6. Selectees will be notified individually by this headquarters. This bulletin is applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve or those joining the Marine Corps Reserves NLT 1 July 2023. This bulletin is cancelled 31 December 2023.
7. Release authorized by MajGen W. H. Seely III, Director of Intelligence, US Marine Corps.//