R 081800Z DEC 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP//
SUBJ/CALENDAR YEAR 2024 CONTINUATION PAY PROGRAM FOR BLENDED RETIREMENT SYSTEM PARTICIPANTS//
AMPN/ REF A IS TITLE 37 U.S. CODE SECTION 356. REF B IS ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE NAVY (MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS) MEMORANDUM, IMPLEMENTATION OF THE BLENDED RETIREMENT SYSTEM. REF C IS MCBUL 1800, THE MARINE CORPS BRS POLICY. REF D IS MARADMIN 084/22 WHICH ANNOUNCED THE CALENDAR YEAR 2023 CONTINUATION PAY PROGRAM. REF E IS MARADMIN 691/21 WHICH ANNOUNCED THE CALENDAR YEAR 2022 CONTINUATION PAY PROGRAM. REF F IS MARADMIN 210/17 WHICH DISCONTINUED CAREER STATUS BONUS AND REDUX RETIREMENT PLAN. REF G IS MCTFS-PRIUM CH 9 SECTION 18//
POC1/CINDY GRUBB/CIV/MPO/TEL: 703-784-9386/EMAIL: MPO@USMC.MIL//
POC2/MIKO GORDON/MAJ/ MPO/TEL: 703-784-9563/EMAIL: MPO@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To announce the Blended Retirement System (BRS) Continuation Pay (CP) Program for Calendar Year (CY) 2024. Only Marines enrolled in the BRS are eligible to receive CP.
2. Background. Per the references, CP is a cash incentive for BRS participants. CP is offered during the midpoint of a Marine’s career to ensure retention of Marines for force management purposes.
3. Force Management. Retaining our experienced and highly skilled Marines at their mid-career point is important to sustain our force end-strength in the active and reserve components.
4. CP Eligibility. Marines who enrolled into BRS and complete 12 years of service (YOS) may be eligible to receive a one-time CP payment in exchange for an agreement to serve four (4) additional years of obligated service. BRS participants who will reach 12 YOS in CY 2024 will receive notification of their eligibility via Marine On-Line (MOL) and Leave and Earning Statement messages 180 days and 30 days before reaching 12 YOS.
4.a Active Component and Active Reserve (AR). BRS participants who complete 12 YOS, as computed from their PEBD, during CY 2024 and agree to serve an additional four (4) year commitment, to run concurrent with any existing service obligation, are eligible.
4.b Reserve Component other than Active Reserve. BRS participants who complete 12 YOS, as computed from their PEBD, during CY 2024, are in a paid status, and agree to serve an additional four (4) year Selected Reserve commitment, to run concurrent with any existing service obligation, are eligible. For the purpose of CP, Reserve Marines are in a paid status if affiliated with the Selected Reserve or on active duty orders on the day they complete 12 YOS. Such Reserve Marines are not required to be performing duty on the day they complete 12 YOS.
4.c BRS participants who complete 12 YOS, but have been issued orders to separate from the Marine Corps, are not eligible to receive CP. Separation orders are considered issued when the MOL Outbound Interview (OBI) has been approved by the local commander.
5. CP Rates.
5.a Active Component and Active Reserve (AR) Marines. The CP pay rate is 5.0 times the monthly basic pay at the over 12 years basic pay rate.
5.b Selected Reserve (non-AR). CP pay rate is 1.0 times the monthly basic pay, based on active duty basic pay, at the over 12 years basic pay rate.
5.c The CP rates described herein do not apply to Marines who reached 12 years and zero days of service before January 1, 2023. The existing CP rate of 2.5 for the Active Component and Active Reserve (AR) Marines and 0.5 for Selected Reserve (non-AR) remain in effect for such Marines as described in reference (e).
6. Timing and Method of Payment. The effective date of payment will be at 12 YOS. The disbursement of CP is authorized to be made on or after the completion of 12 YOS. The goal is to disburse payment within 30 days of completing 12 YOS. CP is payable as a single payment or as two, three, or four equal installments, paid on the anniversary of the first payment. The payment option is irrevocable and selected when completing the SOU. Once the Marine has elected to receive CP, and entry is reported, payment amounts, status updates, and obligated service dates may be found by visiting MOL. In MOL, navigate to Personal Information, BRS/TSP Report, and BRS-CP. CP payments are subject to federal and state income tax withholding unless otherwise entitled to Combat Zone Tax Exclusion during the month 12 YOS is reached.
7. Relationship to Other Pays and Allowances. CP is in addition to any other pays or allowances to which the Marine is entitled. Payment and receipt of CP does not disqualify a Marine from receipt of other pays or allowances.
8. Effect of CP Payment on Military Retired Pay. A Marine’s receipt of CP payment, whether it is received in annual installments or in a single lump payment, does not cause a change in the dollar amount or timing of retired annuity pay the Marine would receive should he or she qualify for retired pay. Importantly, CP should not be confused with the Career Status Bonus (CSB) that was offered under the REDUX Retirement Plan which was discontinued on 1 January 2018, as announced in reference (f). Unlike the CSB, CP does not cause a reduction in a Marine’s retired annuity pay.
9. CP Training. Eligible Marines are highly encouraged to make a CP election after having completed CP training and no later than three (3) months prior to the beginning of their 12th year of service. The preferred method to complete training is via the Marine’s installation Personal Financial Manager (PFM). PFMs offer in-person and virtual training options. PFMs provide no-cost services to the Marine and offer additional financial education resources and counseling. Marines whose permanent duty status (PDS) is not located near a Marine Corps installation should contact a PFM closest to their PDS.
10. CP Election Procedures. Eligible Marines must sign a statement of understanding (i.e., NAVMC 11905 for active component or NAVMC 11908 for Select Reserve), accepting or declining CP, before reaching 12 years and zero days of service. In order to be accepted, the SOU must have a witness signature dated prior to the participant’s completion of 12 YOS from PEBD. Participants with SOUs signed or witnessed on or after reaching 12 YOS are not eligible to receive CP. Participants may submit their CP SOU as early as one year in advance of their 12 YOS. A participant is able to reverse his/her decision to elect CP provided this reversal occurs before the participant’s 12 YOS. Administrative guidance and CP election procedures remain unchanged and are contained within reference (c).
11. Recoupment of CP. Marines who receive CP and do not fulfill their additional obligated service are subject to recoupment of the unearned portion of CP as described in reference (c). The additional obligated service incurred as a result of electing to receive CP must be served in the component in which the Marine is serving at the time of agreement. Reserve Marines who are involuntarily transferred to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) (e.g., end of assignment tour) will be given a 6-month grace period from the date of transfer to be assigned to a Selected Reserve billet. Recoupment action will be initiated if the Marine is not assigned to a Selected Reserve billet before the 6-month grace period expires.
12. Thrift Savings Plan (TSP). Marines should carefully choosetheir TSP bonus contribution percentages from CP monies because these contributions are not matched and will count towards their annual Elective Deferral Limit (EDL). When the EDL is reached for the year, a Marine's contributions are suspended for the remainder of the year and the Marine Corps matching contributions are also stopped. However, the monthly 1 percent automatic contribution by the Marine Corps, an amount equal to 1 percent of monthly basic pay, will continue. Further details concerning these limits can be found at https:(slash)(slash)www.tsp.gov/making-contributions/contribution-limits/.
13. More information to include local PFM contact information can be found at the M&RA (MPO) webpage (https:(slash)(slash)www.manpower.usmc.mil/webcenter/portal/MPO/pages_compensation).
14. For queries regarding this message or CP policy, send questions via email to CMC (MPO) at email@example.com.
15. This MARADMIN will remain in effect until superseded or canceled, whichever occurs first. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
16. Release authorized by Lieutenant General James F. Glynn, Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//