R 091600Z DEC 22
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MP//
SUBJ/CALENDAR YEAR 2023 CULTURAL OBSERVANCE EVENTS//
POC/E. C. HABIB/CAPT/CMC (MPE)/TEL: COM 703-784-9371/TEL: DSN 278/ EMAIL: EVAN.HABIB@USMC.MIL//
POC/A. QUINONES/SSGT/CMC (MPE)/TEL: COM 703-784-9371/TEL: DSN 278/ EMAIL: ANTHONY.QUINONES@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Throughout the calendar year, the Marine Corps publishes cultural observance messages to recognize and increase awareness of the contributions Marines make to American history and culture.
2. For command planning purposes, listed below are the cultural observances supported by law, Congress, or the President for calendar year 2023 (CY23). The Opportunity, Diversity, and Inclusion Branch (MPE) will publish individual MARADMINs during CY23.
a. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (17 January)
b. African American History Month (1-28 February)
c. Women's History Month (1-31 March)
d. Holocaust Days of Remembrance (28 April-1 May)
e. Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month
f. LGBT Pride Month (1-30 June)
g. Juneteenth (19 June)
h. Women’s Equality Day (26 August)
i. Hispanic Heritage Month (15 September-15 October)
j. Disability Employment Awareness Month (1-31 October)
k. Native American Heritage Month (1-30 November)
3. During these observance periods, commanders are encouraged to recognize military, veteran, and civilian personnel for their professional and civic contributions. Commanders are further encouraged to conduct programs and promote participation in observance events within their commands and local communities. Nothing precludes a command from creating their own theme or using previously published themes.
4. Commands are reminded that special observances are conducted to recognize the continuous achievements of all Americans to our culture and to increase awareness, mutual respect, and understanding. They are designed to enhance cross-cultural awareness and promote inclusion among all military members and the Marine Corps civilian workforce.
5. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
6. Release authorized by Lieutenant General James F. Glynn, Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//