R 271100Z JAN 23
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC AVN CG WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/FY24 MARINE HELICOPTER SQUADRON ONE ROTARY WING AND TILTROTOR PILOT SELECTION PANEL//
NARR/REF A IS MCO 1326.7F, SELECTION AND SCREENING CRITERIA FOR MARINES DESIRING ASSIGNMENT TO MARINE HELICOPTER SQUADRON ONE (HMX-1). REF B IS MCO 1300.8, MARINE CORPS PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENT POLICY. REF C IS MCO 3500.109A, MARINE CORPS AVIATION WEAPONS AND TACTICS TRAINING PROGRAM//
POC/ B. FERGUSON/LTCOL/UNIT: MANPOWER OFFICER HMX-1/-/TEL: 571-494-4815/EMAIL: BURR.FERGUSON@WHMO.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To announce the convening of the Marine Helicopter Squadron One (HMX-1) Rotary Wing and Tiltrotor Pilot Selection Panel for FY24. The panel ensures the most qualified pilots are selected to represent the Marine Corps and the United States. HMX-1 solicits applications annually. All Marines assigned to HMX-1 must meet specific and very stringent criteria mandated by the White House Military Office as outlined in Ref (A).
2. HMX-1 is responsible to the White House Military Office for worldwide helicopter transportation of the President of the United States. Based at Marine Corps Air Facility Quantico, Virginia, the HMX-1 "Nighthawks" fly a fleet of VH-3D, VH-60N, VH-92A, and MV-22B aircraft. Additional HMX-1 missions include helicopter transportation within the National Capital Region for the Vice President of the United States, visiting Heads of State, Headquarters Marine Corps, and the Marine Corps Combat Development Command.
3. HMX-1 seeks applicants who possess the experience, maturity, judgment, flight leadership ability, and tactical acumen that match the gravity of the missions they are being selected to perform. There is no minimum flight hour requirement for pilot applicants. Qualifications and designations such as Night Systems Instructor and Division Leader will be used as a benchmark for pilot selection. Qualifications, designations and fleet experience, both inside and outside of the cockpit, will help to build a picture of the whole Marine, which will be used as a basis for panel selections.
4. The following criteria will be used to determine eligibility for selection:
4.a. Time on station (TOS): only those applicants who are projected to complete their current tour no later than 30 September 2024, have met TOS requirements, and are eligible to execute permanent change of station orders (PCSO) or permanent change of assignment orders (PCAO) during FY24, will be eligible to apply. TOS requirements are established in Ref (B) and questions regarding tour lengths should be directed to the appropriate monitor. Waivers to TOS requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis and waiver requests via AA form must be endorsed by the command and routed to the appropriate approval authority IAW Ref (B).
4.b. Per Ref (C), Weapons and Tactics Instructors (WTIs) must serve a minimum of 18 months in their unit upon successful completion of Weapons and Tactics Instructor Course prior to executing PCSO or PCAO. This requirement does not preclude WTIs from applying to HMX-1, and orders can be adjusted on a case-by-case basis to ensure this prerequisite is satisfied.
4.c. This panel is intended for active duty Captains and Majors with either an assigned Rotary Wing or Tiltrotor MOS. Selected Tiltrotor applicants can expect a 36 month tour obligation. Selected Rotary Wing applicants can expect a 48 month tour obligation.
4.d. Pilot selections will be made to obtain a representative distribution within both Rotary Wing and Tiltrotor aviation communities, while considering community health and individual career timing.
4.e. Both Rotary Wing and Tiltrotor pilots must be capable of passing a thorough background investigation and be able to obtain a TS/SCI(YW) security clearance.
5. Applicants shall complete and submit the HMX-1 Pilot Volunteer Form and the HMX-1 Pre-screen and Contact Information Form available under the documents column on the HMX-1 website, http:(slash)(slash)www.hqmc.marines.mil/hmx-1/recruiting/officer. These documents are also available via the HMX-1 Manpower POC noted in paragraph 7. Letters of recommendation are highly encouraged.
6. Packages must be endorsed at the squadron level. Applicants currently assigned to non-flying billets should forward an endorsement by the Commanding Officer of their previous flying assignment.
7. Applicants should email their intent to apply for this panel, including name, rank, MOS, personal/work email address, and personal/work phone number to the HMX-1 recruiting and selection officer, Maj Landon Smith, email: Landon.firstname.lastname@example.org. All endorsements and any letters of recommendation shall be submitted via email or by mail. Scanned packages will be accepted via email. All packages must be received prior to 3 May 2023 in order to be considered by the FY24 HMX-1 Pilot Selection Panel.
8. Applicants should email their respective monitor, with their intent to apply, in order to determine if they meet the eligibility requirements.
9. The HMX-1 Pilot Selection Panel will meet on or about 12 May 2023 to select Rotary Wing and Tiltrotor pilots for assignment to HMX-1 during FY24.
10. Selection for service at HMX-1 is based upon selection panel results, screened by the Deputy Commandant Manpower and Reserve Affairs (MMOA), with final recommendations by the Commanding Officer, HMX-1, to the Deputy Commandant for Aviation. Panel results will be passed via separate correspondence to applicants after final approval is received.
11. For additional information regarding assignment to HMX-1 refer to Ref A and contact Maj Landon Smith at: (202) 814-8433 email: email@example.com.
12. Marines from many other officer and enlisted military occupational specialties are screened and selected for assignment to HMX-1 on a continual basis. Marines should contact their monitors and the point of contact listed in this MARADMIN for information.
13. Points of contact:
13.a. Manpower Officer, HMX-1, Comm (571) 494-4815, DSN 278-4815, LtCol Burr Ferguson, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
13.b. Pilot Recruiting and Selection Officer, HMX-1 Comm (571) 494-4929, DSN 278-4929, Maj Landon Smith, e-mail: Landon.email@example.com
13.c. Rotary Wing Company Grade Monitor, Capt James Turner Comm (703)784-9268, DSN 278-9267, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
13.d. Rotary Wing Field Grade Monitor, Maj Kyleigh Cullen Comm (703)784-9267, DSN 278-9267, email: email@example.com
13.e. Aviation Lieutenant Colonel Monitor, LtCol Lee Hemming, Comm (703)784-9267, DSN 278-9267, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
14. Release authorized by LtGen Michael S. Cederholm, Deputy Commandant for Aviation.//