R 081830Z FEB 23
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/FISCAL YEAR 2023 (FY23) SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) DIRECT AFFILIATION BONUS (DAB)//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/TITLE 37 U.S.C.//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/DODI 1304.31/YMD: 20130312
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/MCTFSPRIUM/YMD: 20080819//
REF/D/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1001R.1L/YMD: 20151223//
REF/E/MSGID: DOC/NAVMC 1200.1G/YMD: 20220531//
REF/F/MSGID: DOC/MARADMIN 279/20/YMD: 20200506//
REF/G/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1040R.31/YMD: 20200626//
REF/H/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1130.80B/YMD: 20161114//
NARR/REFERENCE (A) IS U.S.C. TITLE 37, CHAPTER 5, SECTION 308C. REFERENCE (B) IS DODI 1304.31 ENLISTED BONUS PROGRAM. REFERENCE (C) IS THE MARINE CORPS TOTAL FORCE SYSTEM PERSONNEL REPORTING INSTRUCTIONS USER MANUAL. REFERENCE (D) IS THE MARINE CORPS RESERVE ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (E) IS THE MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTIES MANUAL. REFERENCE (F) IS THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE ACTIVE COMPONENT (AC) TO SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) DIRECT AFFILIATION PROGRAM (DAP). REFERENCE (G) IS THE RESERVE CAREER RETENTION AND DEVELOPMENT MANUAL. REFERENCE (H) IS THE PRIOR SERVICE ENLISTMENT PROGRAM MANUAL//
POC/B. M. OGDEN/MAJ/UNIT: RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)784-9143/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/R. D. NOYES/MGYSGT/RA (RA)/TEL: (703)784-0583/EMAIL: RA-RETENTION@USMC.MIL//
POC/P. VEREEN/MSGT/RA (RAP)/TEL: (703)784-0580/EMAIL: RAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/V. D. HODGE, JR/GYSGT/RA (RAM)/TEL: (703)432-9077/EMAIL: RAM-1@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. Per the references, this MARADMIN announces the FY23 SMCR Direct Affiliation Bonus (DAB). The DAB is for corporals, sergeants, and staff sergeants applying for the Direct Affiliation Program (DAP). The DAP offers transitioning active component (AC) Marines an opportunity to seamlessly transition to the reserve component (RC) with numerous benefits not offered to traditional reserve accessions from the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR). Marines must agree to serve in a valid Billet Identification Code (BIC) commensurate with grade and primary military occupational specialty (PMOS) or necessary military occupational specialty (NMOS) per the current Reserve Affairs (RA) BIC Assignment and Management Policy.
2. DAB Lump Sum Amounts and Obligation
a. 25,000 dollar incentive for Marines in select MOSs per paragraphs 3a, 3b, and 3c who agree to join and obligate to a SMCR unit for three years through DAP.
b. 10,000 dollar incentive for Marines in select MOSs per paragraphs 3a and 3b who agree to join and obligate to a SMCR unit for two years through DAP.
c. 5,000 dollar incentive for corporals and sergeants in any MOS who agree to join and obligate to a SMCR unit for one year through DAP.
3. Eligibility. Marines must meet the following criteria:
a. Corporals with the following MOSs are eligible for the DAB (LM denotes eligible MOSs available in conjunction with a LATMOV):
0111, LM 0211, 0231, LM 0241, 0261, LM 0311, LM 0313, LM 0317, LM 0321, LM 0331, LM 0341, 0352, 0372, 0411, LM 0431, 0451, 0471, 0481, 0511, 0531, LM 0532, 0621, 0631, 0671 0811, 0842, 0844, 0847, 0873, 0874, 1142, LM 1161, 1171, 1316, 1341, 1342, 1345, 1361, 1371, 1391, 1392, LM 1721, 1833, 2111, LM 2141, 2147, 2171, 2311, LM 2621, LM 2631, 2651, 2847, 2887, 3043, 3051, 3112, LM 3152, 3381, 3521, 3531, 4421, 5711, 5811, 5939, 5948, 5951, LM 5952, 5953, 5974, LM 5979, 6042, 6046, 6132, 6173, 6174, 6216, 6276, 6286, 6423, 6672, 6842, 7051, LM 7236, LM 7242, and 7257.
b. Sergeants with the following MOSs are eligible for the DAB (LM denotes eligible MOSs available in conjunction with a LATMOV):
0111, LM 0211, LM 0241, LM 0311, LM 0313, LM 0317, LM 0321, LM 0331, LM 0341, 0372, 0411, LM 0431, 0451, 0471, 0481, 0511, 0531, LM 0532, 0621, 0627, 0631, 0671, 0811, 0842, 0844, 0873, 0874, 1141, 1142, LM 1161, 1171, 1316, 1341, 1342, 1345, 1361, 1371, 1391, 1392, LM 1721, 1833, 2111, 2131, LM 2141, 2147, 2171, 2311, 2336, LM 2631, 2651, 2831, 2841, 2847, 2871, 2874, 2887, 3043, 3051, 3112, LM 3152, 3381, 3521, 3531, 5711, 5811, LM 5821, 5939, 5974, LM 5979, 6123, 6132, 6153, 6154, LM 6156, 6173, 6216, 6276, 6286, 6316, 6317, 6323, 6326,
6336, 6337, 6423, 6499, 6531, 6694, 6842, 7011, 7051, LM 7236, LM 7242, and 7257.
c. Staff sergeants (to include staff sergeant selects) with the following MOS are eligible for the DAB amount in paragraph 2.a.:
0111, LM 0211, 0321, 0363, 0369, 0372, 0411, 0451, 0471, 0481, 0531, 0629, 0639, 0679, 0681, 0811, 0847, 0848, 0871, 0875, 0876, 1141, 1142, 1161, 1171, 1316, 1341, 1345, 1361, 1371, 1391, LM 1721, 1833, 2111, 2131, 2141, 2147, 2171, 2311, 2336, 2651, 2862, 2874, 2887, 3043, 3152, 3381, 3451, 3529, 3537, 5769, 5811, LM 5821, 5831, 5939, 5948, 5952, 5953, 5974, 5979, 6062, 6073, 6074, 6114, 6123, 6124, 6132, 6153, 6154, 6156, 6173, 6176, 6217, 6227, 6256, 6257, 6286, 6287, 6316, 6317, 6323, 6324, 6326, 6337, 6423, 6432, 6492, 6499, 6531, 6672, 6694, 6842, 7011, 7051, 7236, 7242, and 7257.
d. Contractual obligation. Marines must gain the required contractual service toward their Reserve End of Current Contract via reenlistment or extension in accordance with reference (g).
(1) Marines requesting the DAB in accordance with paragraph
2.a. will be required to obtain one, two or three years of contractual service from the affiliation date with the SMCR unit.
(2) Marines requesting the DAB in accordance with paragraph 2.a. through 2.c. may be authorized extensions of enlistment to meet the obligation service requirement. Extensions for this purpose will be authorized on a case-by-case basis.
e. Marines must serve in a valid BIC commensurate with grade and PMOS or NMOS per the current RA BIC Assignment and Management Policy. Marines serving in a NMOS BIC that does not rate the incentive, but holding a PMOS that does, are eligible for the incentive under their PMOS.
f. If the incentive is taken in conjunction with a LATMOV, Marines must complete the required training within the current FY. Training completed out of FY will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Marines unable to complete the required training inside the FY due to shortage of funds will be granted until the close of the next FY to complete training. Marines who have not completed the training by the close of the next FY, regardless of cause of non-completion, will need to reapply for the following FY’s incentive programs.
g. Marines must not have more than the following satisfactory years of military service on the date of acceptance of the DAB.
(1) Staff Sergeant requesting DAB must have less than 16 satisfactory years of service on the date RA approves the incentive.
(2) Sergeants requesting the DAB must have less than 10 satisfactory years of service on the date RA approves the incentive.
(3) Corporals are authorized to serve up to, but not exceed 10 satisfactory years in order to receive this incentive. Enlisted Career Force Control waivers are not required for up to 10 satisfactory years of service.
h. Marines must not have been reduced in rank to their current grade.
i. Marines are ineligible for the DAB if they have received a non-judicial punishment in the last 12 months from the date of application.
4. Administrative Guidance
a. Submissions. All requests must be submitted via the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) to RA.
b. Marines must be joined to the Unit on or before 15 September 2023. Cross FY incentive will be considered on a case by case basis.
c. Payment of this incentive will not be received until the Marine is joined to the unit and filling a BIC commensurate with the grade and PMOS or NMOS per the current RA BIC Assignment Policy.
d. A signed statement of understanding (SOU) must be submitted with the TFRS request prior to issuance of a bonus.
(1) SOUs are found in the forms section of TFRS.
(2) A valid SOU will contain the Marine’s name and Electronic Data Interchange-Personal Identifier number, unit information, BIC information, PMOS/NMOS, and appropriate signatures. If the SOU is missing any required data it will be returned to the appropriate unit for corrective action.
e. RA will adjudicate and return requests via TFRS to the originator.
f. Waiver requests will be submitted to Reserve Affairs Personnel Policy, Plans, and Programming and Budgeting (RA (RAP)) as an attachment to the TFRS request. Waiver requests submitted from Career Planner’s will include the member's chain of command endorsement up to the first O-5 level commander (battalion/squadron). RA (RAP) will approve/disapprove waiver requests in the adjudication process of the TFRS request.
g. Marines in receipt of the DAB are required to waive the reasonable commuting distance requirement (if applicable) per reference (d) on their SOU. Inactive Duty Training travel reimbursement will be offered by rank and MOS as published via a separate MARADMIN.
h. Marines who fail to accept the DAB by the no later than date on the TFRS authority forfeit their incentive eligibility.
5. Lateral Move (LATMOV) in conjunction with the DAB
a. This incentive can be accepted in conjunction with the SMCR LATMOV program and may be requested concurrently.
b. Only Marines applying for the two or three-year options may concurrently request a LATMOV.
c. Marines approved for LATMOV must complete MOS training in accordance with reference (e) in the current FY to remain eligible for the incentive. Training completed outside the current FY will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Marines that fail to meet the LATMOV program requirements may be placed in an excess BIC or involuntarily transferred to the IRR.
d. If a LATMOV is necessary, payment of the incentive will not be received until MOS training is complete. RA will report the basic and intended MOS and the correct BIC assigned in IDMS by the SMCR unit/site support prior to the Marine attending training in the Marine Corps Total Force System.
e. The MOS training requirements will not be waived.
f. The FY23 SMCR LATMOV program information is provided via separate correspondence.
a. Recipients of this incentive will incur a one, two, or three- year drilling obligation to the assigned SMCR unit, from the join date, or completion of MOS retraining, whichever is later.
b. Recipients must serve in a valid BIC for the entire period of obligated service in the MOS and unit for which the bonus was approved. Approval authority for Inter-Unit Transfers (IUT) to a different unit with a valid MOS-bonused BIC is delegated as follows:
(1) IUTs between units within the same MSC: MSC Commanding General.
(2) IUTs between different MSCs: Commander, Marine Forces Reserve (COMMARFORRES).
c. Upon completion of obligated service time, Marines have the opportunity to continue to serve or reenter active duty via the Prior Service Enlistment program, in accordance with reference (h).
a. Recoupment will occur at a prorated amount if the Marine:
(1) Fails to fulfill the obligation;
(2) Fails to participate satisfactorily;
(3) Executes an IUT to a non-designated primary military occupation skill (8014) or LATMOV without prior written approval from RA (RAP);
(4) Transfers to the IRR;
(5) Performs active duty operational support (ADOS) or voluntary mobilization with a unit other than their own for a period greater than 90 cumulative days per FY without prior written approval from Marine Forces Reserve (MARFORRES). MARFORRES shall notify RA (RAP) of this waiver prior to the execution of ADOS;
(6) Augments to the AC;
(7) Transfers to the IMA program except as stated in 8b(3) below.
b. Recoupment will not occur if the Marine:
(1) Is required to involuntarily transfer to the IRR due to a unit deactivation and no alternative billet is available, disability, or being twice passed for promotion;
(2) Is commissioned or accepts an appointment to warrant officer in the SelRes and has served at least one year of the incentive service obligation.
(3) Joins the IMA program upon unit deactivation or redesignation as a result of Force Design, Base Realignment and Closure actions.
(4) Becomes physically disabled and is unable to serve.
8. Marines who fail to complete their service obligation without prior written approval of RA (RAP) shall be reviewed by COMMARFORRES for administrative separation from the Marine Corps per the SOU. Requests for early release or deferment of the service obligation shall be submitted to COMMARFORRES. Recoupment will still apply for service members approved for Inter-Service Transfer or the Prior Service Enlistment Program.
9. Incentives will be issued on a first come, first served basis due to limited funds.
10. This incentive is available for service in SMCR units only.
11. This MARADMIN cancels on 30 September 2023.
12. Release authorized by Major General M. S. Martin, Director, Reserve Affairs Division.//