R 131815Z MAR 23
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/INTERIM GUIDANCE FOR DEFINING AND PROCESSING ENTRY LEVEL SEPARATIONS AND COMMISSIONED OFFICER TIME IN GRADE REQUIREMENTS//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/DOD/YMD: 20220623//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/MCO/YMD: 20190215//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/CONGRESS/YMD: 20210101//
NARR/REF A DODI 1332.14, DOD INSTRUCTION FOR ENLISTED ADMINISTRATIVE SEPARATIONS. REF B IS MCO 1900.16 W/CH2, MARINE CORPS SEPARATION AND RETIREMENT MANUAL. REF C IS THE NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT OF 2021.//
POC/P. M. SANGSTER/CIV/MMSR-2/TEL: 703-784-9324/ EMAIL: PAULETTE.SANGSTER@USMC.MIL//
POC/D. L. QUEEN/MAJ/MMSR/TEL: 703-784-9314/ EMAIL: DEBORAH.QUEEN@USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To provide interim guidance regarding the processing of administrative separations while in an entry-level status, and update time in grade requirements for commissioned officers.
2. In accordance with ref (a); effective 23 December 2022, entry-level status is changed from 180 days to 365 days.
2.a.1. Entry-Level Status. Upon enlistment, a Service Member qualifies for entry-level status during:
2.a.1.a. The first 365 days of continuous active military service; or
2.a.1.b. The first 365 days of continuous active service after a service break of more than 92 days of active service. A Service Member of a Reserve Component who is not on active duty or who is serving under a call or order to active duty for 365 days or less begins entry-level status upon enlistment in a Reserve Component. Entry-level status for such a Service Member of a Reserve Component terminates:
2.a.1.b.1. 365 days after beginning training if the Service Member is ordered to active duty for training for one continuous period of 180 days or more; or
2.a.1.b.2. 180 days after the beginning of the second period of active duty training if the Service Member is ordered to active duty for training under a program that splits the training into two or more separate periods of active duty. For the purposes of characterization of service or description of separation, the Service Member’s status is determined by the date of notification as to the initiation of separation proceedings.
2.b. Categorization. The 365-day eligibility for separation is applied to those Service Members who enlist on, or after, 23 December 2022.
3. In accordance with ref (c), active component commissioned officers applying for voluntary retirement in the grade of Major and above must have served in that grade for a period of not less than three years.
4. These and other changes to reference (b) are expected to be published in CY 2023.
5. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
6. Release authorized by MajGen Michael J. Borgschulte, Director, Manpower Management Division.//