R 231930Z MAY 23
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA//
SUBJ/FY23 COMMAND DIRECT AFFILIATION PROGRAM MISSION//
REF/A/MSGID: MSG/CMC/DTG: 071600ZJUL22//
REF/B/MSGID: MSG/CMC/DTG: 301015ZDEC22//
REF/C/MSGID: MSG/CMC/DTG: 081830ZFEB23//
REF/D/MSGID: DOC/MCO 1040.31/YMD: 20100908//
NARR/REF A IS MARADMIN 343/22, FY23 COMMAND RETENTION MISSION. REF BIS MARADMIN 686/22, THE ACTIVE COMPONENT TO SELECTED MARINE CORPSRESERVE OR INDIVIDUAL MOBILIZATION AUGMENTEE DIRECT AFFILIATION PROGRAM, REF C IS MARADMIN 76/23, FISCAL YEAR 2023 SELECTED MARINE CORP ESERVE DIRECT AFFILIATION BONUS, REF D IS MCO 1040.31, NLISTED RETENTION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM//
POC/M. MANNINO/LTCOL/RESERVE AFFAIRS DAP OIC/TEL: 703-432-1932/EMAIL: RA-DAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/R. NOYES/MGYSGT/RESERVE AFFAIRS RETENTION CHIEF/TEL: 703-784-0583/EMAIL: RA-DAP@USMC.MIL//
POC/M. GREEN/LTCOL/MCRC/TEL: 571-559-4635/EMAIL: Michael.Green@MARINES.USMC.MIL//
1. Purpose. This message describes the Direct Affiliation Program DAP) Mission for the remaining cohort of Fiscal Year 2023 (FY23) expiration of active service (EAS) Marines. The following commands are assigned a DAP mission for FY23:
I Marine Expeditionary Force
II Marine Expeditionary Force
III Marine Expeditionary Force
Marine Forces Reserve
2.a. Force Design 2030 demands a balanced force, and with it, a balanced retention effort across the Total Force. Active component (AC) leadership is uniquely suited to engage those Marines who do not intend to continue active service and apprise them of the benefits of continued service in the RC via direct affiliation. As the USMC endeavors to rebalance accessions and retention, leaders at all levels must work diligently to retain our best.
2.b. DAP affords qualified AC Marines the opportunity to seamlessly transition to the RC with numerous benefits not offered to traditional reserve accessions from the individual ready reserve (IRR). This opportunity is not in competition with AC retention efforts, as the number of Marines who separate each year far exceeds AC retention opportunities. The DAP Mission compels AC commands to be actively involved in the Marine Corps Total Force retention mission and ensures that the Service retains talent through continued service in the RC.
3. The DAP mission assigned to each command will be released via Total Force Retention System (TFRS).
4. Coordinating Instructions.
4.a. The mission to each command is based on the Marines remaining in the FY23 EAS cohort. Assigned mission is proportional to the number of Marines in the cohort from each command.
4.b. Commands will receive credit once a DAP application is submitted into the Total Force Retention System (TFRS) by a career planner and accepted by the joining Marine.
4.c. Per reference (d), commanders must ensure Marines are apprised of the benefits of joining the Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR). Active Reserve Career planners located at the MEFs shall provide information about the RC, benefits, incentives, lateral move opportunities and assist AC Career Planners with the completion of the DAP application package.
4.d. This current DAP mission is in addition to any previously submitted DAP applications. Credit will be applied to all accepted applications submitted after the release date of this message.
4.e. Marines with an EAS during FY23 count towards the FY23 DAP Mission. The FY24 Command DAP Mission will be released via future correspondence.
4.f. The command where the Marine is assigned upon acceptance of the DAP application will receive credit for the purpose of the DAP Mission.
4.g. Marines who directly affiliate with SMCR units are eligible for the Direct Affiliation Bonus (DAB). The DAB provides up to 25,000 dollar incentives for Marines in select MOSs who agree to join and obligate for three years. Additional information on DAP benefits and bonuses can be found in ref (b) and (c).
4.h. The assigned DAP mission is considered the minimum requirement; commands across the Service must continue to contribute to the total force retention effort. Every level of leadership can, and should impact the unit’s retention efforts.
5. Assistance in coordinating and presenting DAP interviews is available through the DAP Cells or via email at RA-DAP@USMC.MIL or phone at 703-432-1932. Commands assigned a DAP mission via this message are encouraged to leverage these resources.
6. Special Recognition. Per reference (a) commands with the highest DAP execution percentage after completing the FY23 Active Component Retention Campaign will receive special recognition for contributing to Total Force Retention.
7. Timeline. The DAP mission is effective from message release date until 30 September 2023.
8. This MARADMIN is applicable to the Marine Corps Total Force.
9. This MARADMIN cancels on 30 September 2023.
10. Release authorized by LtGen James F. Glynn, Deputy Commandant, Manpower and Reserve Affairs.//