MARADMINS : 576/15
R 171640Z NOV 15
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA RA//
SUBJ/ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE CALENDAR YEAR 2015 COLONEL JUSTICE MARION “JUMPING JOE” CHAMBERS AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING LEADERSHIP SELECTION BOARD//
AMPN/Reference (a) is MCO 1650R.35E, Chambers Award for Outstanding Leadership//
POC/BRENNETT FORD/CIV/RAM-4/TEL: 703-784-0523/E-MAIL: BRENNETT.FORD(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Situation. This MARADMIN announces the Calendar Year (CY) 2015 Colonel Justice Marion “Jumping Joe” Chambers Award selection criteria and solicits nominations of eligible reserve company grade officers within Marine Forces Reserve (MARFORRES). The Chambers Award for Outstanding Leadership is presented annually in memory of Colonel Justice Marion Chambers, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, who received the Medal of Honor for his actions as Commander of 3d Battalion, 25th Marines, 4th MarDiv at Iwo Jima. The award will be presented as part of the Marine Corps Association and Foundation Ground Awards Dinner scheduled for 5 May 2016.
2. Mission. To recognize the eligible reserve company grade officer who best demonstrates the outstanding leadership qualities exemplified by Colonel Chambers during World War II.
3. Execution. Commanders and officers in charge throughout MARFORRES are encouraged to submit nominations via the chain of command to the Commander, Marine Forces Reserve (COMMARFORRES). COMMARFORRES will convene a board of senior field grade officers to review nominations using the eligibility criteria stated below and forward the recommendation to the Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs (DC, MRA). DC, MRA will make the appropriate endorsement for selection to the Commandant of the Marine Corps (CMC).
(1) COMMARFORRES. Provide recommendation for 2015 nominee to DC, MRA no later than 15 January 2016.
(2) Reserve Affairs (RA). Personnel Management Branch (RAM) will endorse and forward to CMC, via the Dir, RA and DC, MRA, for final selection and announcement of the winner.
b. Coordinating Instructions
(1) Eligibility criteria, nominees must:
(a) Be a Marine Corps Reserve company grade officer, having served within MARFORRES during CY 2015. The Chambers Award excludes officers serving in Marine Aviation, having occupational fields 25xx/28xx/59xx/72xx/75xx, who are otherwise eligible for Marine Corps Aviation Association award recognition.
(b) Not be a previous recipient of the Chambers Award. Officers previously nominated but not selected are eligible for subsequent nomination if they still meet all award criteria.
(c) Exemplify outstanding leadership, as recognized by seniors, contemporaries and subordinates.
(d) Exhibit leadership qualities that contribute to the development of esprit-de-corps and loyalty within the unit in which the nominee serves.
(e) Through personal example, set professional and personal standards that others seek to emulate.
(f) Clearly demonstrate the ideals of courage, resourcefulness, perseverance and concern for the well-being of the Corps and their fellow Marines.
(2) Nominations may be submitted posthumously, provided the officer nominated meets all eligibility and award criteria in this MARADMIN.
4. Administration and Logistics. Nominations must include the following (Items a and b are not applicable for posthumous nominations):
a. Official photo, taken within CY 2015.
b. Reserve Qualification Summary (RQS).
c. Summary of performance/actions supporting the nomination.
d. Nominating unit’s address and POC information.
5. Command and Signal.
a. This MARADMIN is applicable to MARFORRES.
b. Ensure widest dissemination of the contents of this message within MARFORRES.
6. Release authorized by Colonel R. T. Tobin, Director, Reserve Affairs Division, Acting.//