MARADMINS : 642/15
R 221526Z DEC 15
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC I//
SUBJ/MARINE CORPS LANGUAGE PROFESSIONAL OF THE YEAR AND COMMAND LANGUAGE PROGRAM OF THE YEAR NOMINATIONS//
POC/T. P. JORDAN/MSGT/UNIT:CMC WASHINGTON DC I/-/TEL: COMM(703)614-6561 DSN224-6561/EMAIL: THOMAS.P.JORDAN(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. This MARADMIN solicits nominations for the Marine Corps Language Professional of the Year (LPOY) and the Command Language Program of the Year (CLPOY) 2015. These awards recognize the contributions of Marine Corps language professionals and Command Language Programs (CLPs) during Fiscal Year (FY) 2015. LPOY nominations are open to active-duty and reserve Marines who meet the criteria in paragraph 3 below and whose linguistic knowledge and abilities provided outstanding support directly to operating forces. CLPOY nominations are open to any command wishing to recognize outstanding CLPs for accomplishments during FY 2015.
2. LPOY and CLPOY Nomination packages from the operating forces require Marine Forces Command Level endorsement via the chain of command. Marine Corps Intelligence Activity (MCIA) and Marine Cryptologic Support Battalion nominations will be endorsed by Commanding Officer, MCIA. The Marine LPOY and CLPOY will be announced via MARADMIN in March 2016. The Marine LPOY and CLPOY will then be considered for Department of Defense LPOY and CLPOY recognition by a board held at the Defense Language Institute/ Foreign Language Center, Monterey, CA.
3. Nominations for Marine LPOY must be unclassified and be received by HQMC IOE NLT 22 February 2016. Eligibility for this award is limited to Staff Sergeant and below. Applicants must have current Interagency Language Roundtable scores of 2 or higher in both listening and reading on the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) or a score of 2 or higher on the Oral Proficiency Interview. More favorable consideration will be given to scores in excess of 2. Nominees must meet Marine Corps height, weight, and physical fitness standards at the time of submission. Packages must include:
a. Unit Commander's nominating memorandum that details the nominee’s mission accomplishments, training contributions, and self-improvement.
b. An 8” x 10” head and shoulder photo of the nominee.
c. A copy of the nominee's current DA Form 330 or similar documentation of DLPT scores for each language tested.
d. An essay (not a research paper; i.e., no references or footnotes) by the nominee, not to exceed five double-spaced type written pages, addressing the following topic: "Describe a strategy to train, sustain, and progress military language professionals to a proficiency level of 3/3 or better within the first 10 years of military service."
4. CLPOY nomination packages must be unclassified, shall not exceed 12 pages, and must be received by HQMC IOE NLT 22 February 2016. Packages must include the following information and adhere to the nomination package template, which can be obtained by contacting the POC below:
a. The Commander's description of the program, not to exceed 2 pages, highlighting personnel involved in the program, significant accomplishments throughout the fiscal year, awards received, the importance of language to the unit's mission, and how the unit's leadership supports the mission.
b. The Commander's descriptions, in bullet list form and not exceeding one page, of the following items:
(1) Role of the Command Language Council.
(2) Command regulations and guidance on the language program.
(3) Command linguist database and record keeping.
(4) Training resources that the command utilizes and their employment.
(5) Instructional methodologies employed by the command and the system used to evaluate linguists.
(6) Training opportunities available to the command’s linguists and selection criteria, including the contribution of language training to the unit’s mission.
(7) Tools used to evaluate the overall effectiveness of the CLP.
(8) Incentive programs in place for the unit’s linguists.
(9) Marketing by the command of its CLP.
(10) Responsibilities and importance of the unit CLP Manager.
5. Submit all nomination packets via FedEx/USPS or email to MSgt T. P. Jordan at thomas.p.jordan(at)usmc.mil. FedEx/USPS address:
Commandant of the Marine Corps
Headquarters, U.S. Marine corps
Attn: I/IOE (RM 1A262B, MSgt Jordan),
3000 Marine Corps pentagon
Washington, DC 20350-3000.
6. Release authorized by (SES) Mr. P. C. Chudoba, Assistant Director of Intelligence, Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps.//