MARADMINS : 023/16
R 132337Z JAN 16
MSGID/GENADMIN/CG MCWL QUANTICO, VA//
SUBJ/MARINE CORPS WARFIGHTING LAB SCIENCE FICTION FUTURES WORKSHOP//
POC/P. S. KIRCHNER/LTCOL/FUTURES ASSESSMENT DIVISION//
TEL: 703-784-5479/EMAIL: PATRICK.KIRCHNER(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/ 1. (U) The Atlantic Council’s Art of Future Warfare Project has partnered with the Marine Corps Warfighting Lab to host a Science Fiction Futures Workshop in Quantico, Virginia, on 3 February 2016.
2. (U) The Marine Corps Warfighting Lab and the Atlantic Council are looking for creative, uniformed service members to participate in this one-day workshop in Quantico with acclaimed authors August Cole (Ghost Fleet), Max Brooks (World War Z), and Charles E. Gannon (Fire with Fire and Trial by Fire) to improve the Marine Corps’ understanding of the future.
3. (U) This one-day workshop will examine envisioned future environments from the recently published 2015 Marine Corps Security Environment Forecast: Futures 2030-2045 (MCSEF). Leveraging the expertise and unique skills of the three authors, a select group of uniformed service members will be challenged to apply their creativity to develop the narrative foundation for a series of short stories or vignettes that will be used to augment the current MCSEF. The goal of this workshop is to make the MCSEF Supplement into a more compelling, credible narrative to inform Service initiatives across a wider audience. Participants will also learn some of the tools of the trade used by these authors to understand, design, and build future worlds that can shape Marine Corps policies and operations today.
4. (U) Applicants: Participation is limited to 15 uniformed Service members. No later than Friday 22 January, applicants should submit a personal biography, their three most influential books/games/graphic novels/films/shows with explanation why, and a short story or proof of previous publication to MCCDC_STRAT_Vis_Grp(AT)usmc.mil. Those selected for the workshop will be notified no later than Tuesday 26 January.
5. (U) An informational flyer as well as the 2015 MCSEF are available for download at: http:(slant,slant)www.mcwl.marines.mil/Divisions/FuturesAssessment.aspx
6. (U) Funded orders may be available for qualified service members stationed outside of the National Capital Region.
7. (U) Release authorized by BGen J.D. Alford, CG Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory/Director Futures Directorate, CD&I/MCCDC, Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps.//