MARADMINS : 274/16
R 271630Z MAY 16
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC C4//
SUBJ/AUTHORIZATION FOR PERSONAL WEARABLE FITNESS DEVICES (PWFD) IN MARINE CORPS FACILITIES//
REF/A/MSGID:DOC/WEARABLE FITNESS DEVICES/NSA FORT MEADE MD/15DEC2014//
REF/B/MSGID:DOC/POLICY CLARIFICATION, PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICES, INTRODUCTION OF PWFD AND PERSONAL HEADPHONES/ DIA WASHINGTON DC/1MAY2014//
REF/C/MSGID:DOC/CYBER HYGIENE AUTHORIZATION TO USE PWFD (E.G., FITBIT, JAWBONE UP, ETC.) IN NAVY SPACE /CNO N2N6BC, WASHINGTON DC/14SEP15//
REF/D/MSGID:DOC/ACCEPTABLE USE OF AUTHORIZED PERSONAL PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICES IN SPECIFIC DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY SPACES/SECNAV, WASHINGTON DC/25MAR2016//
REF/E/DOC/DoD CIO/INTRODUCTION AND USE OF WEARABLE FITNESS DEVICES AND HEADPHONES WITHIN DOD ACCREDITED SPACES AND FACILITIES, 21 APR 2016.//
REF/F/DOC/FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (FCC) OFFICE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY BULLETIN NUMBER 62, FEBRUARY 1996, UNDERSTANDING THE FCC REGULATIONS FOR COMPUTERS AND OTHER DIGITAL DEVICES.//
REF/G/DOC/DODM 5200.01, VOLUME 3//
NARR/REF A IS NSA CHIEF OF STAFF MESSAGE ON PWFD IN SECURE WORKPLACES. REF B IS DIA POLICY CLARIFICATION, PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICES, INTRODUCTION OF PWFD AND PERSONAL HEADPHONES. REF C IS THE CNO MESSAGE ON PERMITTING THE USE OF PWFD IN NAVY SPACES, COORDINATED WITH DEPUTY UNDER SECRETARY OF THE NAVY (DUSN) FOR POLICY SECURITY. REF D IS THE SECNAV POLICY REGARDING PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICES. REF E DEFINES THE BASELINE FOR DEVICES BEING CATEGORIZED AS A CLASS B. REF F SETS FORTH INFORMATION SECURITY REQUIREMENTS AND DIRECTION FOR COMMAND SECURITY MANAGERS TO FOLLOW. REF G PROVIDES PERSONNEL SECURITY REQUIREMENTS/DIRECTION FOR COMMAND SECURITY MANAGERS. REF H IS THE DOD POLICY ON BOTH FITNESS DEVICES AND USE OF HEADSETS WITHIN DOD SPACES AND FACILITIES.//
POC/R. A. LETTEER/GS15/UNIT:HQMC C4 CYBERSECURITY/ WASHINGTON DC/TEL:7036933490/EMAIL: RAY.LETTEER(AT)USMC.MIL//
POC/ D. L. YAROSLAWSKI/COL/UNIT:MARFORCYBER G3/FORT MEADE MD /TEL:2403736901/EMAIL:DLYAROS(AT)NSA.GOV//
REMARKS/1. This is a coordinated Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps, Command, Control, Communications, and Computers (C4) Department and Marine Forces Cyber Command (MARFORCYBERCOM) message to address the use of PWFD in secure areas.
2. SCOPE AND APPLICABILITY. This MARADMIN supplements the direction provided in refs (a) through (e) and applies to all Marine Corps military, civilian, and support contractor personnel. The MARADMIN does not address the topic of headsets. The DoD policy in ref (e) applies. Visitors not meeting the scope and applicability of this message are not authorized to introduce PWFD in Marine Corps spaces where collateral classified information is processed, stored or discussed. This MARADMIN does not apply to or address wearing of PWFD in Marine Corps Sensitive Compartmented Information Facilities (SCIF).
3. POLICY. Effective immediately, all Marine Corps personnel are hereby authorized, subject to local policy and capability limitations below, to wear PWFD (e.g., Fitbit, Jawbone Up, Nike Fuel Band, Garmin VivoFit with heart monitor, etc.) in all Marine Corps spaces where collateral classified information and controlled unclassified information is processed, stored, or discussed. This authorization is applicable to Marine Corps spaces world-wide.
3a. PWFD are permitted:
(1) If commercially available in the U.S. or through a U.S. military exchange, marketed primarily as fitness or sleep device, and designated as Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Class B digital device (denoted as FCC Class B certified, or FCC Class B exempt) as described in ref (f).
(2) If they have Bluetooth, GPS (receive only), accelerometer, altimeter, gyroscope, heart activity, vibration feature, or near field communication capabilities.
(3) If they receive and contain vendor-supplied software updates that do not add any features or capabilities prohibited below.
3b. PWFD are PROHIBITED:
(1) If they contain any external or conflicting hardware or software modifications, including the installation of third party apps. Authorized devices will receive only vendor-supplied software updates that do not add any prohibited features or capabilities.
(2) If they contain cellular or Wi-Fi, photographic, video capture/recording, microphone, or audio recording capabilities. Merely disabling the cellular, camera, or video capability is not sufficient.
(3) In conjunction with USB accessories, including but not limited to Bluetooth dongles and charging cables.
(4) From being connected to any government information systems.
4. EXCEPTIONS/RESTRICTIONS. Commanders, in coordination with security managers will determine when and if a specific facility, operations area, or laboratory will be restricted from the introduction of PWFD because the risk has been determined to be unacceptable. When wearable fitness devices are restricted from any area, signs will be posted stating so. Security managers will ensure compliance.
5. Personnel who knowingly or willfully violate the requirements in this MARADMIN may be subject to a preliminary inquiry in accordance with ref (g) and an incident report in the Joint Personnel Adjudication System, per ref (h).
6. This MARADMIN will remain in effect until cancelled or superseded.
7. Release authorized by BGen D. A. Crall, Director, Command, Control, Communications, and Computers (C4) Department/Chief Information Officer of the Marine Corps.//