MARADMINS : 383/16
R 281200Z Jul 16
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MF//
SUBJ/USMC WINNER OF THE 2016 DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE SEXUAL ASSAULT PREVENTION INNOVATION AWARD//
REF/A/MSGID: MSG/CMC WASHINGTON DC/062110ZJULY2016//
AMPN/REF A IS DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE SEXUAL ASSAULT PREVENTION AND RESPONSE OFFICE NOMINATION GUIDELINES FOR THE SEXUAL ASSAULT PREVENTION INNOVATION AWARD.//
POC/C. HEIT/CIV/UNIT: MFB/-/TEL: 703-784-4941/EMAIL: CHRISTINE.HEIT(AT)USMC.MIL//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Background. In June 2014, the Department of Defense (DOD) Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (SAPR) Office initiated an annual Sexual Assault Prevention Innovation Award to recognize a group or an individual from each military service who contributed or developed an innovative idea, concept, methodology, or approach to positively impact the SAPR program on an installation, in a deployed environment, or in a reserve component.
2. Congratulations to Communications Company, Headquarters Regiment, 1st Marine Logistics Group (MLG) for their selection as the Marine Corps winner of the 2016 DOD Sexual Assault Prevention Innovation Award. Specifically, Sgt Moses Perez, Sgt Crystal Rodriguez, Cpl Nicholas Stambaugh, Cpl Justin Kassen, Cpl Kelvin Escoto, LCpl Justin Rucker, LCpl Leilani Principe, LCpl Victoria Maston, and PFC Mitchell Case.
3. Communications Company, Headquarters Regiment, 1st MLG was recognized for their innovative approach to sexual assault prevention by developing a skit in observance of Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month entitled “Just Another Night.” Developed by Marines, for Marines, the skit presented realistic scenarios reminiscent of “just another night” in the barracks. The skit was performed throughout the Command via various channels, such as live performances and a video posted to 1st MLG’s social media pages. Due to the parallels between the characters in the skit and a Marine’s everyday actions, Marines were better able to assimilate the prevention efforts and effect change in their decision making process.
4. Competition for this third annual award was particularly keen, and all nominees are commended for their commitment to prevention efforts in support of the Marine Corps SAPR program.
5. This MARADMIN is cancelled 31 October 2016.
6. Release authorized by MajGen B. W. Whitman, Director, Marine and Family Programs Division.//