MARADMINS : 564/16
R 260938Z OCT 16
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MM//
SUBJ/JANUARY 2017 SNCO MERITORIOUS PROMOTION ALLOCATIONS FOR SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENTS (SDA)//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/CMC MMPR-2/YMD: 20120614//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/CMC MPP-20/YMD: 20161012//
NARR/REF A, MCO P1400.32D W/CH 2, MARINE CORPS PROMOTION MANUAL, VOLUME II, ENLISTED PROMOTIONS (SHORT TITLE: ENLPROMMAN). REF B, AUTHORIZATION FOR THE JANUARY 2017 SEMIANNUAL SDA MERITORIOUS ALLOCATIONS FOR STAFF NONCOMMISSIONED OFFICERS.//
POC/CHRISTINA. R. UPTON/MAJ/CMC MMPR-2/-/TEL: DSN 278-9711//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. To provide the first half FY17 meritorious promotion allocations for SDA to commanding generals and commanding officers.
2. Background. These meritorious SNCO promotion allocations allow commanders the opportunity to nominate a select number of Marines for meritorious promotion to the grades of gunnery sergeant and staff sergeant. Meritorious promotions recognize Marines for their superior potential for increased responsibility based upon their extraordinary performance, sacrifice, and contribution to the success of the Marine Corps.
3. Accordingly, commanders with allocations listed in paragraph 4 will convene selection boards within their commands to nominate Marines for meritorious promotion by the CMC. The recommendations of the selection boards for the meritorious promotion of Marines to gunnery sergeant and staff sergeant among SDA will be endorsed by the commander and submitted via naval message to CMC (MMPR-2). The message must be received no later than 1 December 2016. Upon review and approval of the nominations by the CMC (MM), promotion unit diary entries will be entered by HQMC (Marines already selected for the next grade by a regular promotion board are still eligible for meritorious promotion to that grade). Commanders will prepare certificates of appointment in accordance with reference (a). SDA commands will receive meritorious promotion authority for January 2017 promotions via separate correspondence.
4. Action. The January 2017 meritorious promotion allocations among SDA are:
Command SSgt/GySgt allocations
Marine Corps Recruiting Command
TECOM (DIs/Combat Instructors) 25/6
MSG (Embassy Security Guards) 20/1
MCSF (Security Force Guards) 4/1
5. Meritorious promotions among SDA will be effective on 2 January 2017.
6. For enlisted promotion matters call comm (703)784-9717 or DSN 278-9718. Email inquiries may be submitted to: enlistedpromotions(at)usmc.mil. Click on Compatibility View Settings in the options menu, and ensure that display intranet sites is unchecked. This maradmin will be posted to the promotion branch website: www.manpower.usmc.mil, select "Active Marine," "Manpower Management (MM)," "Promotion Branch," then "Enlisted Promotions." From there click on "Message Traffic," then "SNCO Messages," then click on the Meritorious tab.
7. Release authorized by MajGen Craig Q. Timberlake, Director, Manpower Management Division.//