IMPLEMENTATION OF THE SERVICEMEMBERS GROUP LIFE INSURANCE (SGLI) ONLINE ENROLLMENT SYSTEM (SOES)
Date Signed: 10/10/2017
MARADMINS Number: 557/17
R 101931Z OCT 17
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC MRA MF (UC)/F002//
SUBJ/IMPLEMENTATION OF THE SERVICEMEMBERS GROUP LIFE INSURANCE (SGLI) ONLINE ENROLLMENT SYSTEM (SOES)//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/SOES DODI 1341.14/YMD: 20170119//
REF/B/MSGID: DOC/MCO P1070.12K/YMD: 20000714//
REF/C/MSGID: DOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC/YMD: 20100219//
NARR/REF A IS DODI 1341.14, THE SERVICEMEMBERS GROUP LIFE INSURANCE (SGLI) ON-LINE ENROLLMENT SYSTEM (SOES). REF B IS MCO P1070.12K, THE MARINE CORPS INDIVIDUAL RECORDS ADMINISTRATION MANUAL. REF C IS MCO 1741.8, THE MARINE CORPS GOVERNMENT LIFE INSURANCE MANUAL.//
POC/G. CASTLE/GS-13/UNIT: MFPC/-/TEL: 703-784-9512.//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. The Servicemembers Group Life Insurance (SGLI) Online Enrollment System (SOES) is a joint development by the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to automate the process by which service members with full time coverage manage their SGLI and Family SGLI coverage information. SOES is the authoritative system of record and designed to correct a number of deficiencies in the current paper-based system.
2. This MARADMIN provides administrative requirements, instructions and guidance for Marines to designate beneficiaries, and reduce, decline, restore or increase coverage online as required by reference (a).
3. SOES implementation across the Marine Corps will begin on 1 December 2017. As required by reference (a), Commanders will ensure their Marines make an election in SOES upon joining the unit, review/update of the Record of Emergency Data (RED), reenlistment, at the request of the Marine, request for accelerated benefits, prior to deployment, upon activation/mobilization or permanent change of station and prior to appellate leave or separation, but no later than 30 September 2018.
4. SOES can be accessed via the DOD milConnect portal (https:(slash)(slash)www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/). SOES will be available 24/7 and is designed to provide detailed guidance to members enabling them to make informed decisions regarding their policy elections. Commanders and small unit leaders should continue to counsel Marines regarding insurance benefits and their SGLI election decisions.
5. Marines will utilize their Common Access Card (CAC) or DS Logon to access SOES and authenticate their activity. As an alternative to utilization of the CAC, DoD and VA have determined the DS Logon is a secure method to access SOES self-service actions. Marines will sign their elections using an electronic signature which VA has determined to be secure and legally binding. This method of authentication and electronic signature are consistent with group insurance industry practices and automated banking as well as other financial transactions. Beginning on 1 December 2017, Marines desiring to obtain a DS Logon may do so via the SOES login screen on the DOD milConnect portal (https:(slash)(slash)www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/).
6. Newly accessed Marines will utilize the SGLI Election and Certificate (SGLV 8286) and the Spouse Coverage Election and Certificate (SGLV 8286A) to manage their SGLI and FSGLI coverage respectively until such time SOES becomes accessible by the Marine, typically the first duty station or in some cases, at their MOS-producing school. Marines who are experiencing emergent situations and are unable to access SOES within a reasonable amount of time may also utilize the SGLV 8286/8286A, but must access SOES at the first opportunity thereafter to update their election. Marines with part-time SGLI coverage will continue to use SGLV Form 8286.
7. SOES requires military members who are married to another servicemember to have their marital status properly updated in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). Impacted Marines whose marital status has not been updated in DEERS will not be able to make a SOES election until such time it is correct in the DEERS database.
8. SOES will generate spousal notification letters on behalf of the Marine Corps as required by reference (c).
9. All Marines are directed to review the SOES web-based training located at www.benefits.va.gov/insurance/training/SOES/SOES.htm.
10. The DMDC Support Center (DSC) will provide support for milConnect, DS Logon issues and technical issues such as when the site is down or not responding. The DSC can be reached at 1-800-477-8227.
11. SGLI policy questions may be directed to Mr. Gerald Castle, Head, Casualty Section, email@example.com, Tele: (703) 784-9512. SGLI process questions may be directed to Mr. Maurice Gordon, MI, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tele: (703) 432-9176.
12. Release authorized by BGen K. W. Stein, Marine and Family Programs Division.//