Frequently Asked Questions
A collection of resources designed to aid U.S. Marines, Veterans and their families both professionally and personally by providing information regarding education, employment, family support and more.
Collapse All Expand All
How can I learn more about the military service academies?

We encourage you to contact the academies directly, or visit their interactive websites.

United States Military Academy 
ATTN: Public Affairs Office 
Taylor Hall, Bldg 600 
West Point, NY 10996-1788 
Phone (845) 938-2006

United StatesNaval Academy 
ATTN: Public Affairs Officer 
121 Blake Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5000
Phone (410) 293-2291 / 2292

United States Air Force Academy 
ATTN: Public Affairs Officer 
2304 Cadet Drive, Suite 3100 
U.S. Air Force Academy, CO 80840-5016 
Phone (719) 333-2990

United States Coast Guard Academy 
ATTN: Public Affairs Officer 
15 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4195
Phone (860) 444-8270 
USCGA - United States Coast Guard Academy

The Coast Guard reports directly to the Department of Homeland Security.

United States Merchant Marine Academy 
ATTN: Public Affairs Officer 
300 Steamboat Rd
Kings Point, NY 11024 
Phone (516) 773-5000 

The Merchant Marine Academy has a close relationship with the U.S. Armed Forces, as noted in its web site, but is not part of the Defense Department.

Do you have a listing of frequently used DoD acronyms and Where can I find the Dictionary of Military Terms?

A ready, searchable reference to joint military acronyms and abbreviations as well as DOD Military terms is available online at:

I'm interested in finding out about the missions and personnel in the Department of Defense. Where can I get that information?

The DoD mission is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country. DoD is a Cabinet-level organization. Reporting to DoD are the three military departments (Army, Navy and Air Force) and 14 defense agencies. The four armed services are subordinate to their military departments. The Marine Corps is a second armed service in the Department of the Navy. The military departments are responsible for recruiting, training and equipping their forces, but operational control of those forces is assigned to one of the unified combatant commands.

For more information, refer to the Defense Almanac website at:

For more information about the Marine Corps specifically, refer to the Marine Corps homepage at:

What educational benefits are available for Veterans?

In recognition of their service, American Veterans are entitled to educational assistance through the Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA) Montgomery GI Bill.

For general information about the GI bill and application procedures, you may visit the VA's GI Bill website located at You may also speak to a VA representative by contacting, 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

What financial assistance is available to send my kids to college?

For general information, contact the U.S. Department of Education's Information Resource Center Federal Student Aid. That department offers detailed information on Federal loans and grants, including eligibility requirements, as well as general information on financing a college education.

Additionally, you may wish to visit the Department of Education's Office of Post secondary Education's Education Planning website at c. This website contains guidance and resources on planning for college for parents, students, or those seeking a Post secondary education.

Also contact your State Department of Education, which can provide information about any state-sponsored programs that may be available and referrals to other possible local sources of funding.


Can I use the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on my business cards?

Department of Defense and Military Seals are protected by law from unauthorized use. These seals may NOT be used for non-official purposes.

However, the Military Services typically approve the use of their Service emblem or coat of arms on a case-by-case basis as a substitute. There is no such substitute for the Department of Defense Seal.

There is NO optional graphic that would represent the Department of Defense.  For more information, please visit: DOD Brand Guide 

Because of the wide range of specific requirements (material, size, color, etc.) desired for each individual requestor's project, DoD does not stock or provide emblems for such use.  The production of emblems is the responsibility of each requestor.   Final approval for use of Military Service emblems and additional information as to the design of the emblems, specific colors used and the availability of graphic masters or camera-ready masters can be obtained from the following offices:

Department of the Army, Institute of Heraldry
9325 Gunston Road, Room S-117
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5579
(703) 806-4968

Department of the Navy
Office of the Judge Advocate General
1322 Patterson Street SE, Suite 3000
Washington Navy Yard
Washington, D.C. 20374-5066
(202) 685-5290

(For use of the Coat of Arms)

Department of the Air Force
Trademark Licensing Office
1690 AF Pentagon, Rm. 4A120
Washington D.C. 20330-1690

Marine Corps Trademark Licensing Office - 
Headquarters United States Marine Corps
Public Affairs (PA) RM 4B548
3000 Marine Corps Pentagon
Washington DC, 20350-3000
Comm: 703-614-7678 
Fax: 703-697-5362

Headquarters, U.S. Coast Guard
Public Affairs Staff
Community Relations Branch
2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC 20593-0001

Where can I learn about Marine Corps history?

To learn more about Marine Corps history, visit the website:

How do I find out more information about Marine Corps installations?

To find more information about Marine Corps installations, please visit the following link: Units

How can I receive information regarding DoD’s Mentor-Protégé Program?

Since 1991, the Department of Defense (DoD) Mentor-Protégé Program (MPP) has offered substantial assistance to small disadvantaged businesses. Having helped them to expand the overall base of their marketplace participation has produced more jobs and increased national income. For information on the program please visit their home page at

What kind of recreation and sports programs does the Marine Corps have?

The Marine Corps offers a variety of sports, entertainment, and recreation through the Marine Corps Community Services. There are MCCS programs at every installation worldwide. The Marine Corps also sends professional MCCS specialists to support commanders of deployed units. MCCS programs are open to all active duty, reserve component and retiree ID-card holders.

Where can I find information about the Armed Forces Recreation Centers in Germany, Korea, Orlando and Hawaii?

You can find information about the AFRCs on the web sites listed below, and you can also book reservations on line. The AFRCs are financially self-sufficient Morale, Welfare and Recreation activities managed by the Army for the Dept of Defense.  AFRCs are open to all branches of service - active duty, reserve component and retiree ID-card holders and their families.

Hale Koa Hotel:

Shades of Green

Dragon Hill Lodge

Where can I find federal regulations?

Federal regulations are available on line at:

I have some questions regarding TRICARE. Where can I go online for answers?

The following link will provide for you information about contacting your regional TRICARE office by phone or by e-mail:

What is the proper way to wear the Marine Corps uniform?

Regulations on how to wear the Marine Corps uniform can be found at the following website:

How can I find information on women in the military?

There are numerous sources of information available to you. We also recommend you start your search with a visit to the website for the Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Services at

Collapse All Expand All
How may I get help in obtaining court-ordered child support?

Please visit the Defense Finance and Accounting Services web page pertaining to garnishment of wages for child support, or alimony: We would also encourage you to seek legal council from a civilian lawyer or your military staff judge advocate's office.

I am divorced. My former spouse now seeks more money and property. What are my rights, obligations, and protections?

Please visit the following web sites pertaining to the Former Spouses Protection Act. Defense Finance & Accounting Service

For more on DoD-recommended amendments to the Uniformed Services Former Spouses' Protection Act, visit the following website:

What social services does the Marine Corps provide for families?

Being married to a Marine is said to be the toughest job in the Corps. To help meet the demands of the challenging lifestyle that our families experience everyday, Marine Corps Community Service offers a variety of programs that help build strong families.   For details, please visit the MCCS website at:

Are there other resources regarding family and quality of life programs?

Military One Source is the official Department of Defense web site for reliable quality of life information designed to help troops and their families, leaders and service providers. Whether you live the military lifestyle or support those who do, you'll find what you need!

What assistance is available to buy a house?

Contact the nearest Housing and Urban Development (HUD) office. If you are a veteran, you may also want to contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA offers many programs designed to assist veterans. If you are a rural resident, you may also want to contact the local Rural Development office. These offices can provide assistance to rural residents through the Rural Housing Service.

Where can I find information about DoD schools around the world? -- like the American School of Paris, Seoul American School and so on?
You will find information about DoD schools at the Department of Defense Education Activity. The information is available online at
Collapse All Expand All
How do I obtain a birth certificate for a child born abroad by a U.S. citizen?

A Consular Report of Birth FS-240 or a Certification of Report of Birth DS-1350, can be obtained by writing to:

Vital Records Section
Passport Services
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 510
Washington, D.C. 20522-1705

Death Records of U.S. Citizens Who Die Overseas:  Reports of deaths of service members are made only to the person’s service. Requests for copies of death records for members of the Marine Corps, Army, Navy, and Air Force are sent to the director for the individual’s service.

Requests for copies of deaths of civilian citizens should be submitted to:

Passport Correspondence Branch
U.S. Department of State,
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 510,
Washington, DC 20524.

Births and Deaths on the High Seas: 

When a birth or death occurs on the high seas, whether in an aircraft or on a vessel, the determination of where the record is filed is decided by where the vessel or aircraft was headed at the time the event occurred.

U.S. Department of State
Washington, DC 20520.

Records Maintained by Foreign Countries:  U.S. citizens who need a copy of a foreign birth or death record may obtain help by writing to:

Office of Special Consular Services
U.S. Department of State
Washington, DC 20520.

How do I use the Freedom of Information Act?

Read online the Freedom of Information Act instructions at FOIA.  Information specific to the Marine Corps is available at

How do I apply for research grants, scholarships, and/or fellowships with the DoD?

We recommend you visit This website provides organizations with the ability to search for federal government-wide grant opportunities.

Who manages postal mail for the military?

The Military Postal Service Agency an extension of the United States Postal Service, provides Department of Defense personnel, their family members and other authorized users mail services around the world. Our customers receive basically the same level of service as though they were at home in the United States. Differences are based on the country in which they are stationed and the type of military operation in which they are involved. For more information visit

How can I purchase maps from the DoD?

We suggest you contact the National Imagery and Mapping Agency. You can visit them online at U.S. Geological Survey Map Viewer

I am a Reservist on active duty about to transition back to Reserve status. What kinds of health care services are provided for me and my family?

The TriCare Transitional Health Care program offers coverage to certain Reserve Component (RC) members and family members, when the RC member separates from active duty. The coverage time has been extended to 180 days after the sponsor separates from active duty for qualified RC members. The Department of Defense announced March 24, 2005, that beginning April 2005 a new premium-based, health care plan will be available to eligible National Guard and Reserve members activated for contingency operations on or after Sept. 11, 2001. Tricare Reserve Select (TRS) is authorized under the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal 2005 and, when purchased by a TRS eligible member, provides comprehensive health care coverage similar to Tricare Standard and Extra for the member and his or her eligible family members. National Guard or Reserve member's personnel office will determine eligibility for TRS based on active service on or after Sept. 11, 2001.

Health Care Web Sites:

Transitional Health Care Benefits:
Tricare Reserve Select (TRS):
Reserve Component Members Health Care:
Tricare Frequently Asked Questions:

How can I contact someone in reference to Wounded Warrior Insurance?

SGLI and Traumatic Injury coverage is under the oversight and control of the Department of Veteran's Affairs.  More information on the insurance can be obtained by visiting the following Website

How can I locate medical records for military-retired and or military dependents?

The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR) is the repository of millions of military personnel, health, and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans of all services during the 20th century. NPRC (MPR) also stores medical treatment records of retirees from all services, as well as records for dependent and other persons treated at naval medical facilities. Information from the records is made available upon written request (with signature and date) to the extent allowed by law. For more information please visit their web site at

Is the National Archives and Records Administration destroying military personnel files?

Records are not being destroyed. The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) preserves and protects the files because they are permanently valuable records that document the essential evidence of military service for veterans. However, there is a rumor circulating on the Internet that advises veterans to apply for their Official Military Personnel Files to save them from destruction. There is no truth to this "urban legend" being perpetuated on the Web.

How do I find Records for myself or a friend/relative who was in the Marine Corps?

All records of military service can be obtained through the National Archives and Records Administration at

How do I correct errors in my military records?

In order to get your military service records upgraded/changes, you must contact your respective service Board for Correction of Military Records. Contact information for each board is listed below:

For both Navy and Marine Corps: 

Board of Correction of Naval Records 
2 Navy Annex, Room 2432 
Washington, DC 20370-5100
Phone: 703-614-1402/1316

Army Review Boards Agency
1901 South Bell Street
Arlington, VA 22202-4508
Phone: 703-607-1600

Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records
1535 Command Drive
EE Wing, 3rd Floor
Andrews Air Force Base, MD 20762-7002 
Phone: 240-857-3502

Where do I get information on obtaining a new passport or renewing one?

To access the most current information on U.S. passports, please visit the U.S. Department of State online at Once there, click on 'Passport Information'. If you are planning to travel abroad, you will also find the most up-to-date travel information including travel warnings, country fact sheets, and entry requirements. For detailed inquiries or to learn the status of a passport application, contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC), or visit them online at

How can I send postal mail to the troops?

Delivery of materials to unidentified service members is prohibited due to security concerns, but you can express your support for the troops via e-mail. The Military Postal Service Agency an extension of the United States Postal Service provides Department of Defense personnel, their family members and other authorized users mail services around the world. Our customers receive basically the same level of service as though they were at home in the United States. Differences are based on the country in which they are stationed and the type of military operation in which they are involved. For more information:

 Military Postal Service Agency: 
2461 Eisenhower Avenue, Suite 814 
Alexandria, VA 22331-0006 
(703) 325-9221

Where can I find information about military publications online?

Defense publications are produced by a variety of sources. Questions about the contents of a particular publication should be directed to that publication's producer listed in the document. Many defense publications are available for download from the Internet. Other publications can be obtained from one of the following sources:

Directorate for Public Information & Analysis, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs OASD (PA)/ PIA 

1400 Defense Pentagon, Room 3A750 
Washington, DC 20301-1400

The Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC): DTIC serves the Federal Government research, development and acquisition community including contractors, grantees, and potential defense contractors. Because of the nature of the information that DTIC handles, users must qualify for service form DTIC. National Technical Information Service releases unclassified/unlimited technical reports and bibliographic information through the National Technical Information service (NTIS). 

I am a military retiree looking for information about benefits. Where can I get assistance?

Contact your local Marine Corps retirement services office to get started. Also, the Veterans Administration provides a great deal of assistance. Visit the Veterans Administration here: 

How can I access my DD 214 on-line?

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents at

Collapse All Expand All
How can I go about doing business with the Marine Corps?

The Installations and Logistics Department shapes logistics plans and policies to sustain excellence in war fighting. The focus of effort is to increase Marine Air Ground Task Force lethality by providing superior support through modernizing logistics processes, implementing proven technology and best practices, developing standards of performance, and fully integrating the supporting establishment as the fifth element of the marine Air Ground Task Force. Contracting authority resides with the Marine Corps Field Contracting System (MCFCS) and the Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCORSYSCOM). For more information, visit

Where am I able to find DoD contracts or information regarding contracts?

At the following link you can view a listing of our most recently announced contracts:

Federal Business Opportunities web site lists U.S. Government contracts, including the Defense Department, that are up for bid. Please see:

How do I get information about retail contracting opportunities?

Marine Corps Community Services oversees all non-appropriated funded activities such as retail and recreation.  For all business inquiries please call 703 784-3821 or visit

How do I explore opportunities for employment with the federal government?

You may obtain information on federal employment from a number of official government websites: is a great place to start. This is the primary government website for job seekers. It's very user-friendly and you can also search for jobs by agency.  Another excellent site for job seekers is

How do I verify my past federal employment?

If it has been less than six months since you were employed with a Federal agency, first try contacting the personnel department of the agency for which you worked to assist you in determining the necessary procedures.

If you are unable to obtain your records from the personnel department or if it has been more than six months since you were employed with that Federal agency, send a written request for the records to:

National Personnel Records Center
Civilian Personnel Records Division
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO   63132

Requests can also be faxed to: (314) 801-9195

Please note that the Civilian Personnel Records Division will only provide copies of documents and information to the subject of the file or someone who has received written authorization from the subject of the file.

How do I determine my federal retirement benefits as a Department of Defense civilian?

For questions concerning your individual retirement benefits, please contact your Agency Human Resource Office (HRO), Employee Relations Division/Section.  For a question on the components of the Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS), you may visit the OPM website at

Can I find an online resource that shows current and historical active duty military pay tables?

The information you seek is available online at the Defense Finance and Accounting Service's website at Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Where can I find information about the Troops to Teachers program?

Since 1994, the U.S. Department of Education and the Defense Department help qualified service members transition from the military to teaching careers. The Troops to Teachers program is designed to recruit quality teachers for schools serving low-income families and to relieve teacher shortages.   Detailed information is available online at: Troops to Teachers.

Where can I find information about teaching overseas for the Department of Defense and for American sponsored schools?

Office of Overseas Schools: 
U.S. Department of State Room H328, SA-1 
Washington, D. C. 20522-0132 
Tel: 202-261-8200 
Fax: 202-261-8224 

For more details on teaching opportunities overseas:

The Department of Defense operates a school system for the benefit of dependents of U.S. military personnel stationed overseas. Recruitment of teachers for schools at military bases overseas is handled by the Department of Defense Education Activity. Teaching overseas on U.S. Military bases:

Department of Defense Education Activity 
4040 North Fairfax Dr. 
Arlington, VA 22203-1634 
Recruitment: (703) 588-3983 
Fax: (703) 588-5383

How do I find information about federal contracting opportunities for women?

For Federal contracting opportunities for women-owned and operated businesses, please visit Women business owners can also contact the Women's Business Development Center, or visit them online at Select "Women's Business Ownership" under SBA Programs.


Collapse All Expand All
How can I get information on surplus auctions?

Please contact the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service at 1-877-352-2255. That organization also has a web site which you may reach at

We are having an auction at our organization to help raise money for a worthy cause and would love to have a photo signed by the Secretary of Defense.  Can you help?

We regret that the Secretary of Defense can not provide an item for auction. Rules and regulations governing the conduct of the DoD employees prohibit the use of our names--including the Secretary of Defense – on any collectible item. This policy, which is government-wide, simply reflects the practical limitations on the U.S. Government's ability to extend official support to every local, regional, national, or international charity. It carries no direct or indirect judgment on the worthiness of those charities or your event.

Where can I find information on Arlington National Cemetery?

Detailed information about Arlington National Cemetery is readily available online at

How do I find the location of national VA cemeteries across the country?

Go to the following website:

How can I learn about on base commissaries or the Defense Commissary Agency?

Customers can get information about the Defense Commissary Agency or DeCA at

Where can I get old Marine Corps equipment?

Please contact the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service at 1-877-352-2255. That organization also has a web site which you may reach at

I would like to get an American Flag flown at the Pentagon to give to my family / friend for his service to our nation. Can you tell me who I need to talk with to get a flag?

The requestor must provide the flag. The request must be submitted no more than 15 business days in advance and at least 5 business days before the requested date for the flag to be flown.  Flags will not be flown on holidays. When sending a flag through the mail, please be sure to include return postage.  The requestor should include the following information in their request:

  • The name of the person and organization of the flag recipient
  • The occasion the flag will be flown for, if any (e.g. retirements, anniversary, birthday, etc.)
  • The specific date the flag is requested to be flown on.  If no date is specified, the flaw will be flown within 15 business days of receipt.
  • The point of contact's name, address, and their telephone number (commerical and/or DSN) or email address.  This person will be notified wehn the flag is ready for pick up. 

Submit the written request to:

Pentagon Force Protection Agency
Program Integration Directorate
9000 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC  20301-9000
Telephone:  703-692-7842

Can I get an American flag flown at the Iwo Jima Memorial?

For flags to be flown over the Marine Corps War Memorial, also known as the Iwo Jima memorial, mail the written request to:

Marine Corps National Capital Region Command
Headquarters Battalion, Henderson Hall
Bldg. 29, Room 200
1555 Southgate Road
Arlington, VA 22214

Please provide the same information you would for flags being flown over the Pentagon.

Can you direct me to the booklet "Our Flag," that presents information about the history, laws and regulations, display, care, and other relevant information about the flag of the United States of America?

That booklet is on line courtesy of the General Services Administration Consumer Information Center. Check it out at

How do I report fraud, waste, or abuse at the Defense Department?

You may do so by contacting the Defense Department Inspector General's Hotline for Fraud, Waste, and Abuse. The telephone number there is: 1-800-424-9098. You may also send an e-mail to officials there at

Where can I find information on the web about military memorials?

There are various war memorials to commemorate and celebrate the services of American veterans. These memorials are maintained by the National Park Service (NPS) and can usually be visited year round. The NPS website located at has information about NPS veterans' memorials. You can also speak with an NPS representative by contacting one of the National Park Service Regional Offices.

I am with the media and have some questions regarding past, present, and future Defense issues. Who do I call?


Call one of the following Armed Forces news media desks:

Department of Defense (703) 697-5131
Marine Corps (703) 614-4309
Navy (703) 697-5342
Army (703) 695-2000
Air Force (703) 695-0640
Joint Chiefs of Staff (Chairman or Vice-Chairman only) (703) 697-4272

How can I get Marine Corps items such as posters, stickers, pens, etc.?

Many of these items are sold online.  You can request some of these items by calling 1-800-MARINES and asking for your local recruiter who should be able to help.

How can I find the address of a present or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces?

There is no comprehensive one-stop source for e-mail or mailing addresses. Please note, military regulations and the Privacy Act of 1974 do not permit the Marine Corps to provide home addresses or telephone numbers of service personnel. Moreover, regulations do not permit random dissemination of listings of names and addresses of service personnel. These regulations have been established to protect individual service men and women from commercial exploitation and to respect their right of privacy. Because of the large volume of requests that each service locator receives, please allow at least four weeks processing time for written requests. The following information is needed for all requests for all locator services: Give as much identifying information as possible about the person you wish to locate such as full name, rank, last duty assignment/last known military address, service number, and Social Security number.

Please contact officials of our Defense Manpower Data Center for assistance with military verification. Their telephone number is (703) 696-6762.

Marine Corps
To locate a Marine please Contact the Marine Corps World Wide Locator
QUANTICO, VA 22134-5030
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Phone number: 703-784-3941 / 3942 / 3943. 
To locate Marines, a Social Security Number may be required.  Base locators are also available at all major USMC commands.

United States Army
The Army will help you locate individuals on active duty only, not retirees. The place to start is the Enlisted Records and Evaluation Center's (EREC) Customer Service Center. The address is:

Commander Soldier’s Records Data Center (SRDC)
8899 East 56th Street 
Indianapolis, IN 46249-5301

You may also contact them by phone at 1-866-771-6357.

United States Navy
The Navy's locator service helps locate individuals on active duty and those whose service ended less than a year ago. In addition, the Navy will forward letters as long as the correct postage is affixed to the envelope. Unless you are active military, local or federal government, or a family member, the non-refundable fee for researching an address is $3.50 per address. Fees are retained in cases resulting in an unsuccessful search or for unreleasable addresses. Mail your correspondence with your fee, check or money order payable to UNITED STATES TREASURER, to the following address:

Navy Worldwide Locator
Navy Personnel Command
PERS 312F 
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-3120

You can also call the locator service for more information at 1-901-874-3388.

United States Air Force
The AF World Wide Locator handles official and unofficial requests to locate Air Force Personnel.  Official requests are defined as requests received from any government agency and the Department of Defense (DoD).  All other requests are considered unofficial in nature.  The AF World Wide Locator only has location information on individuals who are currently receiving compensation from the USAF (Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Retired, and Civil Service Personnel).  If the individual has separated from the AF, no information is available.

Location/Mailing Address:
550 C St West Ste 50
Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4752
Telephone: (210) 565-2660

I have a site on the Internet, and was wondering if I could post some of your pictures on my site?

Photographs and imagery on the Marine Corps’ website at, just like those on all official military Websites, unless otherwise noted, are in the public domain. Attribution of the source is always appreciated by the military photographer.

Where can I find pictures of the Commandant and Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps?

High resolution photos of the Commandant of the Marine Corps and Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps are available on the official USMC website.  Please visit:

Where can I find Boot Camp pictures?

Parris Island -- Platoon photos are available at Parris Island back to 1939. Photos taken between 1939 and 1950 are limited, however. Individual photos of Marines are also available, but only go back for four years. Recruit training series books are not available. To find out how to get photos, call Recruit Photo at (843) 228-1555.

San Diego – Recruit series book, platoon and individual photos are available at the Yearbook Office. Yearbooks and photos are kept for two years. They can be reached at (619) 296-3840. Yearbooks and photos older than two years can be purchased at the Museum Historical Society. The Museum Historical Society has an archive of old recruit platoon graduation photos dating back to the 1930’s and also offers some recruit yearbooks for sale. Yearbooks from the 1980's and 1990's are available in limited quantities. Platoon graduation photos and yearbooks may be purchased through the society at (619) 524-4426.

I want to interview a prisoner of War (POW) from the Vietnam War? How do I go about doing that?

Due to the provisions of the Privacy Act, the Department of Defense cannot provide specific information on a Veteran such as; name, phone number or address.  The individual(s) in question must grant their permission to such requests. Veteran Service Organizations such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, etc. may help facilitate your request.  Visit an Official U.S. government website:

The Defense POW/ Missing Personnel Office (DPMO)

Department of Veterans Affairs:

The official site for the Department of Defense:

The Library of Congress POW/MIA Database:

How can I make contact with the Casualty Office?

You can contact the Marine Corps Casualty Affairs office at:

Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps
Manpower and Reserve Affairs (MRC)
Personal and Family Readiness Division
3280 Russell Road
Quantico, VA 22134-5103 
800 847-1597

Do you have the mailing addresses and telephone numbers of military Public Affairs offices?

You will find the mailing addresses and telephone numbers of the service Public Affairs Offices below:

Director of Public Affairs Headquarters, 
U.S. Marine Corps (PAC), Room 4A532
3000 Marine Corps, Pentagon 
Washington, DC 20380-1775 
(703) 614-1492 

Department of the Army 
ATTN: Chief of Public Affairs 
1500 Army, Pentagon 
DC 20310-1500
(703) 695-6547 

Department of the Navy Office of Information 
1200 Navy Pentagon, 
Room 2E335 
Washington, DC 20350-1200 
(703) 697-9020 

Office of the Secretary of the Air Force PA Resource Library (SAF/PACL) 
1690 Air Force Pentagon
Room 4A120
Washington, DC 20330-1690 
(703) 697-4110 

Office of the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff 
ATTN: Public Affairs Office
9999 Joint Staff Pentagon,
Room 2E857
Washington, DC 20318-9999 
(703) 697-4272

United States Coast Guard* 
Coast Guard Headquarters
Commandant, U.S. Coast Guard,
2100 Second Street, SW,
Washington, DC 20593

*The Coast Guard reports directly to the Department of the Navy only in wartime; in peacetime it falls under the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security.

My event may be a great opportunity for potential recruits (national promotional, sponsorship/ advertising, etc.).  How do I get in touch with someone about this?

Contact Marine Corps Recruiting Command for national promotions associated with recruiting.  Their contact information is as follows:

Mailing Address: 
Marine Corps Recruiting Command 
AC/S Advertising 
3280 Russell Road, 2nd Floor
Quantico, VA 22134
Telephone:  703-784-9433

Does the Marine Corps provide congratulatory letters for Eagle Scouts or Girl Scouts who’ve earned the Girl Scout Gold Award?

Yes, the Marine Corps will provide congratulatory letters to boys who’ve earned their Eagle Scout or girls receiving the Gold Award.  Please send your request, in writing, to Commandant of the Marine Corps, Director of Marine Corps Staff, The Pentagon, Rm. 4E791, Washington, DC 20350-3000.

How do I register with the Selective Service?

Visit the Selective Service website to register online at


Do you have a list of survivor support groups?

Contact Military One Source who provides trained social workers with answers and assistance for military families 24 hours each day. /7):

Also visit the "America Supports You" website for more ways to support our troops, continue to raise awareness and find other resources of assistance for our military at